CJ turn signal switch and ignition switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ turn signal switch and ignition switch

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #1
winy68
1978 CJ5 

CJ turn signal switch and ignition switch

I need to R&R my turn signal switch and ignition switch on my 1978 CJ.

I'd appreciate any instructions and/or diagrams that anyone could share to assist me.

I'm a little apprehensive to take on this project but with the the help of the forum - I'm sure I can knock this out.

winy68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I would just replace the turn signal switches with new ones but if you want repair the old one you can have quite a bit of luck with tuner cleaner. Hard part would be finding the little springs if rusted apart.

What is wrong with the ignition switch. Those are hard to take apart and you can loose a lot of little springs quickly.

Also do you have a tilt wheel or a non-tilt wheel.

Here is how you get to the turn signal switch on a NON-TILT steering wheel:

http://civilianjeep.info/Strenk/Stee...placement.html

and what to exspect inside the Turn signal switch:

Quote:
Here is a little bit of info on the insides

Here is what you would see if you pull off your steering wheel and locking plate.

This one is missing a cancelation spring and would not turn off when the wheel came back to center. THe spring had rusted off some time after it got all wet.
Here are were both springs are located:

The best thing to do is to flush out a lot of the dirt with contact cleaner.
There are a couple of springs on the top that keep the switch in the right position until you return the steering to center after a turn and another spring to keep pressure on the contact pad.

It wouldn't hurt to put a little moly grease on here after you clean the switch.

If you would to take it apart, something I DON'T recomend, you will see the contact pads on one part:

You can see were the different contact pads go.
This is the wiper arm. Looks rather complicated at first.

There are some small springs that insure contact.

Get some mud or if the springs rust away, you got problems.
The wipers work like this:
In the center position the rear lights are connected to the brake switch contact:

Turn the lever to the right and the right rear light is now connected to the TS flasher pad and also with the front right light. THe left rear light is still connected to the brake switch:

Turn it to the left and just the opposit happens. The left rear light is now connected to the TS flasher pad and also with the front left light. THe right rear light is still connected to the brake switch:
[IMG]http:/www.civilianjeep.info/Strenk/TurnSignal/TSWiperConnectionLeftTurn.jpg[/IMG]

You can see how dirt can just screw things up in here.

Now your probably wondering what that little extra pad on the right is for.
Well it's for the hazard lights.
Here is what it looks like on the back:

Here is what the contacts look like:

These short the front and rear lights together and connect it to the hazard flasher by making contact with the connections on the back of the turn signal switch:

you can see the plastic shield with the holes to make contact.
It effectively connects these points:

Here are some wire connections but I notice the color codes are not standardized. The several TS switches I have are all different but the locations are all in the same place:

You can see some more detail here if your poking around with a meter or test light:

Here is the plug on the end of the switch:

It plugs into the harness like this:

What's that Orange wire on the far left? I think it's for illumination for the PRNDL indicator if you have an automatic.
On this one I broke the insulation on the wires because they are so old.

Here is a simple schematic of the whole mess:

you can see why it's easier just to replace the whole thing.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
VooDoo2
1978 CJ7 

Its very easy and cheap to just replace the turn signal switch. You need to pull the steering wheel but its plug and play.
http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

Quadratrac, Morris, 4wd.com all do the part

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55212_02.htm

While your there you might as well replace the bearings. It can be done without removing the column.
VooDoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:00 AM   #4
winy68
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
I would just replace the turn signal switches with new ones but if you want repair the old one you can have quite a bit of luck with tuner cleaner. Hard part would be finding the little springs if rusted apart.

What is wrong with the ignition switch. Those are hard to take apart and you can loose a lot of little springs quickly.

Also do you have a tilt wheel or a non-tilt wheel.

Here is how you get to the turn signal switch on a NON-TILT steering wheel:

http://civilianjeep.info/Strenk/Stee...placement.html

and what to exspect inside the Turn signal switch:

you can see why it's easier just to replace the whole thing.
Cp

Wow what a lot of outstanding information!!!
let me clarify by R&R I meant remove and replace so yes I just want to replace the turn signal switch which is broken it's stuck in the on position and is draining my battery
As for the ignition switch I hope I'm saying the right part... it's the key switch for the lock cylinder. I was able to buy both parts from Napa for around 50 dollars
The ignition switch or keylock cylinder seems like a very straightforward and easy remove and replace as long as I can figure out how to remove the old lock cylinder the new part seems to slide right in to the steering wheel
I do have a tilt wheel

Thanks very much for your help
Unread 01-22-2013, 05:06 AM   #5
winy68
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo2 View Post
Its very easy and cheap to just replace the turn signal switch. You need to pull the steering wheel but its plug and play.
http://www.epiccomputer.com/dale/jee...tilt/tilt.html

Quadratrac, Morris, 4wd.com all do the part

http://www.quadratec.com/products/55212_02.htm

While your there you might as well replace the bearings. It can be done without removing the column.
Thank you sir another outstanding post this Jeep forum is the best I've come acrossoh
Unread 01-23-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by winy68 View Post
Cp

Wow what a lot of outstanding information!!!
let me clarify by R&R I meant remove and replace so yes I just want to replace the turn signal switch which is broken it's stuck in the on position and is draining my battery
As for the ignition switch I hope I'm saying the right part... it's the key switch for the lock cylinder. I was able to buy both parts from Napa for around 50 dollars
The ignition switch or keylock cylinder seems like a very straightforward and easy remove and replace as long as I can figure out how to remove the old lock cylinder the new part seems to slide right in to the steering wheel
I do have a tilt wheel

Thanks very much for your help
Once you get the turn signal switch out, the lock cylinder should be held in with a screw you take out or a tab on the cylinder that you just have to push on. I'm not sure what setup you have on the 78 but look for either. I think I have both covered in the link above. My 76 and 77 had a tab, my 84 had the screw setup. Not sure when they switched.

I think it's the same no matter what wheel you have.

Here is a picture:

The red box shows the tab sticking in the slot Red arrow
The Yellow circle shows the hole for the screw that holds in the key cylinder on later CJ's
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:59 AM   #7
winy68
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Once you get the turn signal switch out, the lock cylinder should be held in with a screw you take out or a tab on the cylinder that you just have to push on. I'm not sure what setup you have on the 78 but look for either. I think I have both covered in the link above. My 76 and 77 had a tab, my 84 had the screw setup. Not sure when they switched.

I think it's the same no matter what wheel you have.

Here is a picture:

The red box shows the tab sticking in the slot Red arrow
The Yellow circle shows the hole for the screw that holds in the key cylinder on later CJ's
I'm not sure when I'm going to be able to take on this project.... In the meatime can I simply unplug the TS connection harness? Is the harness available behind the steering column? I'm hoping it will buy me a little time until I can get to the bug project.

thanks again
Unread 01-24-2013, 03:33 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Is it blowing fuses or something or ON all the time?

Why do you feel the need to disconnect it?
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
winy68
1978 CJ5 

Quote:
Is it blowing fuses or something or ON all the time?

Why do you feel the need to disconnect it?

Yep it's on all the time and draining my battery
Unread 01-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #10
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Ah, then yes, do so. Or just pull the fuse or flasher.

Tags
ignition switch , switch , turn signal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.