CJ tub rebuild - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ tub rebuild

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-06-2005, 01:56 PM   #1
paraman72
1985 CJ7 

CJ tub rebuild

My tub was refinished when I purchased it, hell for $250 I couldnt asked for more. My only debate was about the the floor boards, when the other person refinished it he put fiberglass on the floor boards. It is pretty sturdy and will probably last quite a long time. It is not as smooth as I would like it to be and it does not have the the drain hole on the drivers side. I have replacement panels for the floor boards but am considering on just leaving the fiberglass in. I plan on herculining the tub and I will have to drill the rain hole out. Should I replace it or leave it be, I just want someone elses opinion who has dealt with this.

Unread 06-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #2
CJ2a

If it were me I wouldleave it the way it is.. After a few months or even years if the fiberglass starts to break up then replace it with the pannels you have..Also for it not being as smooth as you like, just pick up a small palm sander and sand it down a bit before you herculine the tub and drill the drains
33x12.50 15's

I'll add my other rides another day[COLOR=Orange][/COLOR]
CJ2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 04:54 PM   #3
XJ618

If you have new pannels to put in, i would just do it. Build it right, in the long run, you will be happy you did.
XJ618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2005, 08:06 PM   #4
paraman72
1985 CJ7 

Well one says one way and one the other. If I herculine the tub wont that prevent me from welding in the new panels to bare metal? I have been tossing the ideas just want a big push in th eright direction.
Unread 06-06-2005, 08:42 PM   #5
Shameless Elmer
1983 CJ5 

My thoughts are... it depends on the condition of the rest of the tub/Jeep.
If the fiberglass was installed over top of the original steel floor boards, assuming the steel was cleaned prior to installation of the fiberglass, I'd leave the fiberglass in place. You probably still have the steel reinforcements on the bottom side of the tub. If you replace the floor pan with the steel ones you already have, you will need to install the reinforcement pieces on the new pans. It is not a small job.
Shameless Elmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #6
paraman72
1985 CJ7 

That was an answer I was looking for, so I will leave them in and sand down the fiberglass. I will hold onto the panels for when I need or when they get in te way.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.