CJ Tea Kettle Squeal at idle and low RPMs - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Tea Kettle Squeal at idle and low RPMs

Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 10-04-2013, 07:19 AM   #76
2Xtreme
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollmodel1 View Post
.....If the sound wasnt so annoying I'd say forget it! haha
You'd eventually find the cause for sure that way!

2Xtreme is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 09:53 AM   #77
jdarg
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Fix that loose balancer ASAP...definitely NOT good for the motor's internals. Hopefully the damage isn't already done.
jdarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #78
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

I'm going to try and leave the office a little early today so I can run home and get the Jeep and take it over to my local shop and let the guys listen to it. I have the balancer at CarQuest I just havent went and picked it up yet. I am really hoping its not the oil squirter. I will definately keep you all posted on what I find out so we can help the next guy with the same problem. I added some STP to my oil but not sure if that would make any difference or not if it is internal. I havent had the motor hot enough to make it squeal since I added it.
rollmodel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #79
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Well, this weekend my mechanic could not seem to find exactly where the squeal was comming from and gave me a laundry list of things it could be. Saturday morning removed the idle pully from the balancer, dropped the alternator, and took the belt off. I washed, soaped, and sanded the idle pully and removed some weird residue that was all over it. The pully had a few warped places on the lip so I pryed and banged onthem for a little bit to straighten them out. I also took some solvent and cleaned the pully on the alternator and water pump as well. When i would twist the fan it seemed to make a slight humming noise that sounded amost like my squeal so I adjusted the bolts and clutch and shot them down with WD40 and PB Blaster. I reassembled everything, lined the pulleys back up as evenly as possible and drove to town. No squeal. Came home, parked the jeep, checked a few other things, and picked a buddy up for a ride. We took an hour long drive out a dirt road, did some off road in the meantime, took it on the highway for the first time and returned home. No squeal. Does that make since to any of you all? Could i have fixed the issue just by standard maintenance and being a clean freak? I'm not saying the squeal wont return, but as for Saturday evening it was gone!!! If thats the case, my new advice for any JF questions will be "keep your motor clean".
Unread 10-07-2013, 12:57 PM   #80
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Alright y'all, did the garden hose with belt off. I think it's the balancer. How big of a job is that one? I swear it's gotta be the bearing in there.
I have a sneaking suspicion the noise will return.
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #81
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Id say you're right but as of Saturday I was squeak free and happy to be that way haha. If it does or when it does come back i'll have to figure it out again and who knows I could hop in it today and get it hot again and it return instantly.
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #82
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Actually I think you might have hit the nail on the head, the sheave or as most people call them pulleys can become polished or glazed and allow slippage of belts, this is more common than people realize. Your sanding did break the glaze on the vee grove surface
I am curious to understand what you did when you adjusted the fan and clutch?
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #83
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakra View Post
ActuallyI am curious to understand what you did when you adjusted the fan and clutch?
I just meant the bolts. I took everything out and shot everything with WD 40 and PB and kept working the fan back and forth so the penetration oil could work its way in. When I first started working the fan, I could spin it and as the fan began to slow down it would squeal. By the time I got done, I could spin the fan and there was no squeal at all nomatter if I spun it left or right. I just simply kept unbolting and cleaning everything in the front of the motor I could get my hands on and it seemed to work.
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:34 PM   #84
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

Well if the noise comes back I think you would be wise to change the fan clutch.
gmakra is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #85
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

I guess i'll find out this weekend when i actually have time to drive it and see if the noise returns. I'll def keep you posted.
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:37 AM   #86
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Alright guys, its been awhile since I have posted in this. I have driven my Jeep more than normal the last few weeks and still no squeal. What I can determine fixed my squeal problem was adjusting the alternator location to make sure it is inline with the water pump pully and pulling off the idle pully and cleaning absolutely everything I could get my hands on. Also, working with the fan to make sure it was not squeaking going both forward and backwards with the blades. I hope this helps the next Jeeper with the same issue. This was a quick $0.00 fix, so i reccomend trying this before breaking any bank.
Unread 10-24-2013, 11:00 AM   #87
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Alright y'all, did the garden hose with belt off. I think it's the balancer. How big of a job is that one? I swear it's gotta be the bearing in there.
It's great that you stopped the squeal with thorough cleaning. So, how is it that the squeal went away after cleaning the idler pulley, straightening the alternator mounting and cleaning the fan clutch when it did it without the belt on?
Unread 10-25-2013, 10:06 AM   #88
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

In all honestly I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the squeal was comming from around the fan. I just know its stopped somehow or another after I did that so I'm happy about it haha.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.