CJ Tea Kettle Squeal at idle and low RPMs - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Tea Kettle Squeal at idle and low RPMs

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs and

Unread 09-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #61
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

I will be taking the belt off and running the engine today or tomorrow to find out for sure but does anyone think this could be the harmonic balancer?

rollmodel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #62
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

It is possible...if the balance ring has separated from the hub.

If it was a 304, I'd say it could also an incorrectly installed timing cover, but I know yours is a 258.
And many in between!
MoneypitCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2013, 02:02 PM   #63
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneypitCJ5 View Post
It is possible...if the balance ring has separated from the hub.

If it was a 304, I'd say it could also an incorrectly installed timing cover, but I know yours is a 258.
I'm not sure if the balance ring has seperated and I am assuming your talking about the harmonic balancer right? You'll have to excuse my ignorance I'm just learning haha. I plan to run it belt off hopefully this evening and see if thats the issue. Hopefully it is and I can just order a new one from the parts store, bolt it up and be good to go right?
Unread 09-27-2013, 03:10 PM   #64
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollmodel1 View Post
I'm not sure if the balance ring has seperated and I am assuming your talking about the harmonic balancer right? You'll have to excuse my ignorance I'm just learning haha. I plan to run it belt off hopefully this evening and see if thats the issue. Hopefully it is and I can just order a new one from the parts store, bolt it up and be good to go right?
Be sure and have your garden hose ready. If its still making the noise it will be the perfect time to use the hose to isolate the source.
Unread 09-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #65
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

Yeah the balancer has a steel hub that slides over the crank snout. The actual "balancing" device is usually a hardened rubber ring. The two pieces are fused together when new, but can separate over time.
And many in between!
Unread 09-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #66
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Alright y'all, did the garden hose with belt off. I think it's the balancer. How big of a job is that one? I swear it's gotta be the bearing in there.
Unread 09-29-2013, 07:23 AM   #67
big_o_tom
1978 CJ7 

I didnt read through all five pages but have you considered the throw out bearing to be the problem? My jeep made a similar noise for about six months, not constant just random. Now it gotten worse and is definately the t.o. bearing.
big_o_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #68
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

I havent checked anything on the throwout bearing. My harmonic balancer has a slight wobble to it though and thats what makes me think that is what it could be. I went ahead and ordered one but I'm not sure if the harmonic balancer is something i should tackle myself or take it to a shop. Any opinions?

Whats the throwout bearing sound like when its going bad?
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #69
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

Usually a throw out bearing noise will change when you engage/disengage the clutch. It will make noise with the clutch released but not engaged unless it's really bad.

A balancer replacement isn't too difficult, but you may have to remove the radiator to do it. Just remove the pulley, take the big center bolt out, use a balancer puller to remove. The balancer has a slot in it that goes over the woodruff key in the crank....line those up and install the new one with a balancer installer or a big hammer and a scrap piece of wood. The rest of the install is the reverse of removal. Tighten the crap out of the big bolt- it's usually torqued to around 100 ft-lb

As always though, if you aren't totally comfortable doing it, a shop will be happy to help.
And many in between!
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:37 AM   #70
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Roll,

Swapping the balancer requires a puller/installer tool. Most auto parts stores will have one to rent.

It's a relatively easy job once you have the tool.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #71
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

If thats the case then its def not the throwout bearing because it has nothing to do with my clutch. As far as the balancer is concerned, i think i might just take it to a shop once the balancer comes in. I ordered it on Saturday and it may be at my Carquest today. My carquest doesnt rent the puller, but you can buy one but I'm not sure of the price. I think on this piece, I'll just have a shop install it. I'm going to get my Jeep hot before I take it over there and make sure the guys at the shop hear what I am talking about when it comes to the squeal. I made sure this weekend that it wasnt a vacuum leak when I put my new valve cover gasket on. I played with every line on the Jeep and there was no leaks that I could find.
Unread 09-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #72
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

The harmonic balancer on my 258 in the CJ had the outer ring slip as did the one on the 401 in my J-10. Neither one of them made noise. I discovered it when trying to find TDC. I have seen them, on other vehicles, separate and just kind of flop around. The sound it makes when it is that bad is like little bells ringing.
The source of the noise you have, I'm thinking, could be the oil slinger. It is mounted on the crankshaft, behind the front seal. You will have to remove the timing cover to access/ replace it.
You should be able to check the balancer by putting the engine at TDC and see if the timing mark lines up @ 0*
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #73
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Do you all think any kind of oil or engine additive could cure this problem?
Unread 09-30-2013, 07:24 PM   #74
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Not likely, but it's worth a shot.

My recommendation is to take it to a experienced mechanic who is capable of diagnosing the problem quickly and accurately. Then decide if it's a repair you want to tackle, or not.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 06:37 AM   #75
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Not likely, but it's worth a shot.

My recommendation is to take it to a experienced mechanic who is capable of diagnosing the problem quickly and accurately. Then decide if it's a repair you want to tackle, or not.

Matt
Matt that is probably the best plan. I need to find some time to be able to do that and maybe Friday would be the best day for that. At this point in time it seems like I have a list of things that it could be, but which one is my question? If the sound wasnt so annoying I'd say forget it! haha

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.