CJ Tea Kettle Squeal at idle and low RPMs - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Tea Kettle Squeal at idle and low RPMs

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #46
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

I about pulled my hair out over the 2 pcv valves in the mustang. I definitely feel your pain! If it still does it with the belt off, try disconnecting vacuum lines one at a time. Some of them are on temp switches and only work with a hot engine. If you still don't find it, then it would almost have to be internal engine.

Have you by chance done any work to it recently before it started making the noise, or did it jut start screaming one day?

And many in between!
MoneypitCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #47
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Could it be the fan clutch? I guess I'll find that out when i run it without the belt.
rollmodel1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #48
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

Anything is technically possible, but I would think that if the fan clutch was making noise, it would also sound like an airplane taking off going down the road or the fan would have a noticeable wobble when the engine is running
And many in between!
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #49
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneypitCJ5 View Post
I about pulled my hair out over the 2 pcv valves in the mustang. I definitely feel your pain! If it still does it with the belt off, try disconnecting vacuum lines one at a time. Some of them are on temp switches and only work with a hot engine. If you still don't find it, then it would almost have to be internal engine.

Have you by chance done any work to it recently before it started making the noise, or did it jut start screaming one day?
The only thing i can think of is i did replace the thermostat and had a hell of a time getting the bolt on the bottom of the housing to tighten up and a neighbor of mine ended up putting a lil JB Weld on it and it held perfectly. Do you think there could be anything comming from the thermostat housing? No antifreeze is leaking.
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #50
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

I also used bars leak in the radiator to check and make sure there were no leaks.
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #51
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

I wouldn't think so. The only way I could imagine that making noise is if the coolant level was low, and steam was coming through the "jiggle valve" in the thermostat.

BUT, if the noise happened the first time immediately after that then I'd suspect something.
And many in between!
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #52
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneypitCJ5 View Post
....BUT, if the noise happened the first time immediately after that then I'd suspect something.
Good point, here.

When did you first notice the sound?
had you done anything immediately prior to it starting?
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #53
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
Good point, here.

When did you first notice the sound?
had you done anything immediately prior to it starting?
I first noticed the sound about a week or two after i changed the thermostat. I then thought it was the fan belt, so i changed it and the sound continued. I added Bars Leak to the radiator incase somthing hadnt sealed properly (just in case). Then i thought it could be the alternator so I changed it, tightened all the manifold bolts and just now changed the water pump.

I think Saturday, I'm going to get it up to "squeal temp", park it, remove the belt and let her run and see if it still sounds like a banshee. A buddy of mine is going to come up too and check it out. Any other thoughts and ideas would be very much appreciated before I start throwing more money at this thing. Just Empty Every Pocket
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:53 AM   #54
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

I have never heard anything positive about "stop leak" type products for the cooling system. I have seen a water pump and tstat housing literally clogged to the point of being blocked with a gunky paste from use of similar products.
Unread 09-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #55
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7KAHUNA
I have never heard anything positive about "stop leak" type products for the cooling system. I have seen a water pump and tstat housing literally clogged to the point of being blocked with a gunky paste from use of similar products.
+1 to that! I'm pretty sure the use of stop leak is what caused my timing cover to corrode. On the plus side, replacing the cover took care of any possible oil pressure problem on my 304.
And many in between!
Unread 09-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #56
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

My father and I used Bars Leak on the 67 GTO and it worked like a charm so thats what gave me the idea. It should have ran through by now so I can drain the radiator and add all new fluid (again) haha. As long as the squeal is fixed, I'm going to be happy!
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:43 AM   #57
Hawk4097
1986 CJ7 

I wouldnt femove the belt in attempt to get it hot. You run the risk of blowing a head gasket. Maybe replace your radiator cap.
Hawk4097 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:23 AM   #58
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

My buddy is going to come up this weekend and he is pretty good with this kind of stuff. I've been looking stuff up nonstop but it seems like im spinning my wheels right now. Im sure its something simple, but it seems the simple things are almost impossible to find.
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #59
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Hawk, The suggestion is to run it until the noise starts, shut it off and remove the belt. Then restart if and see if the noise is gone. Running it a minute or two without the belt won't hurt anything.
OrangeCJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #60
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
Hawk, The suggestion is to run it until the noise starts, shut it off and remove the belt. Then restart if and see if the noise is gone. Running it a minute or two without the belt won't hurt anything.
Orange and the rest of the crew, when I run the jeep with the belt off and lets say the squeal stops so we know its around all of the cooling system. I've replaced the belt, alternator, water pump, thermostat, and thermostat gasket. Where do you think the problem would be? Idle Pully maybe? Hoses? Radiator?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.