CJ Tea Kettle Squeal at idle and low RPMs - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Tea Kettle Squeal at idle and low RPMs

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 09-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #31
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
Doesn't sound like a belt squeal to me.

Water pump?

You definitely want to try the garden hose trick to at least locate the general area it is coming from before yous tart throwing parts at it.

...just be careful of rotating parts.
I'll try that this weekend and let you know. I've never done that before. Just take the hose and use it like a stethoscope around the engine right? Then i should be able to pin point where it is comming from?

rollmodel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 08:22 AM   #32
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Can't help you with the garden hose trick. I have never done it. I agree with the other guys. I don't think it's a vacuum leak. Mine didn't sound like that. I could still be the belt, but maybe not. I would double check it. Check the width of the belt too. I had one that no matter how tight I got it, it would still squeal a little. Come to find out the parts store had given me one the right length, but it was just a touch narrower and didn't fit exactly like it was supposed to in the pulley. I was in a hurry when I put it on and didn't notice it. In fact I didn't notice it until I was telling a friend about how I had tightened it several times and he noticed it.
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #33
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleybrb View Post
Can't help you with the garden hose trick. I have never done it. I agree with the other guys. I don't think it's a vacuum leak. Mine didn't sound like that. I could still be the belt, but maybe not. I would double check it. Check the width of the belt too. I had one that no matter how tight I got it, it would still squeal a little. Come to find out the parts store had given me one the right length, but it was just a touch narrower and didn't fit exactly like it was supposed to in the pulley. I was in a hurry when I put it on and didn't notice it. In fact I didn't notice it until I was telling a friend about how I had tightened it several times and he noticed it.
I'm still not sure if its a vacuum leak or not. It only happens once the motor gets hot. I'm going to double check the belt and see if i can possibly get it any tighter just to be on the safe side. I did check the new belt that I put on and it was the same length and width as the old one but that is a good thought.
Unread 09-20-2013, 11:00 AM   #34
Tigerjeep79

1979 CJ7 

I'd try the garden hose trick and listen to the water pump (be careful around the fan). That sounds to me like a dry bearing - not vacuum - and since you've already replaced the alternator, the water pump would be the next logical suspect.
Tigerjeep79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #35
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerjeep79 View Post
I'd try the garden hose trick and listen to the water pump (be careful around the fan). That sounds to me like a dry bearing - not vacuum - and since you've already replaced the alternator, the water pump would be the next logical suspect.
Then that is exactly what I'll do next. Now if it is a dry bearing, can I lube that or will I just need to replace the pump?
Unread 09-20-2013, 12:36 PM   #36
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Just curious... Have you run it without the belt to verify its not a pulley or the water pump?
OrangeCJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 12:44 PM   #37
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
Just curious... Have you run it without the belt to verify its not a pulley or the water pump?
No I havent yet. I cant just start the jeep and let it idle and warm up or the noise wont start. I have to drive it and get it hot enough for it to start. I let it idle almost 30 min last night to try and get the noise to start but it never would. I took it for a drive, parked it, and sure enough it started haha. So I could take it for a drive, get it hot, then take the belt off and start her back up and see what happens. I've never ran it with the belt off before.
Unread 09-20-2013, 01:41 PM   #38
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

My boss just listened to the video and he swears it sounds like the water pump bearing so I might as well put a new water pump on it anyways. Any other ideas you all have please let me know and I'll keep you posted on how this goes so we can help out the next guy with the same problem haha.
Unread 09-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #39
redsduty
1978 CJ7 

While it is making its noise try squeezing the radiator hoses and heater hoses with a pliers or something and see if the sound changes. Could be related coolant flow after the engine warm up. May not be the answer but might help narrow it down a little. Good luck.
redsduty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #40
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

alright, i tried the water hose trick and have done the hose sqeeze. I really do believe its comming from the water pump and I think it could be the bearing in the water pump. I've never done this before but I'm going to give it a whirl as soon as i can this weekend. Im going to keep messing with it and my local shop is finding me a water pump and I'm hoping it will be here tomrrow.
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #41
OrangeCJ-5

1978 CJ5 

Grab the fan and see it you can move it side to side (of course engine off). If there is any play in the impeller shaft the bearing(s) are bad. Using a similar technique to the hose trick, put the end of a very long screwdriver on the water pump housing and your ear on the handle end with the engine running. You will hear the bearings spinning. If you aren't sure what good bearings sound like compare them to the ones in the new alternator.
OrangeCJ-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #42
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCJ-5 View Post
Grab the fan and see it you can move it side to side (of course engine off). If there is any play in the impeller shaft the bearing(s) are bad. Using a similar technique to the hose trick, put the end of a very long screwdriver on the water pump housing and your ear on the handle end with the engine running. You will hear the bearings spinning. If you aren't sure what good bearings sound like compare them to the ones in the new alternator.
The new water pump will be here today. There was quite a bit of play in the impeller shaft just like you said. You could move it side to side and up and down like there was hardly any torque on it at all. Good call!
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #43
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Alright guys! The good news is, I have a new water pump. The bad news is, the tea kettle sound remains! I cant tell where its commin from I have no clue and I'm gettin a lil frustrated. My belt only goes around the alternator, the water pump, and the idler pully. Could it be the idler pully at the bottom? Any help sure would be appreciated because this is going to drive me crazy. Any other thoughts on the oil pump? The new water pump does look good though haha.
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #44
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

Have you tried running it without the belt? It won't hurt it to run like that for 30-45 seconds
And many in between!
MoneypitCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #45
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneypitCJ5 View Post
Have you tried running it without the belt? It won't hurt it to run like that for 30-45 seconds
No I havent tried that yet. I'll have to take it for a drive and make sure its hot enough, come home and take the belt off real quick then fire her back up and see what happens. I really am getting concerned and frustrated on this one.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.