CJ Tea Kettle Squeal at idle and low RPMs - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Tea Kettle Squeal at idle and low RPMs

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-19-2013, 06:29 AM   #16
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt205 View Post
Where my noise was coming from...I thought it was the alternator.
Thats exactly what I thought too and thats why i replaced the alternator this week. But changing your oil pump stopped the noise with no problems? I might just go ahead and order an oil pump after I check to see if the bolts are backed out from the manifold to the head. It may be a combination of both i guess.

rollmodel1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #17
MoneypitCJ5
1977 CJ5 

I had a Fox body mustang do the same thing one time...turned out the aftermarket breather I stuck in the aftermarket valve covers had a PCV valve in it. And the 5.0 has a factory PCV valve in the back of the intake, so they fought each other.

Don't ask hold long it too me to figure THAT out...
And many in between!
MoneypitCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
capt205
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollmodel1 View Post

Thats exactly what I thought too and thats why i replaced the alternator this week. But changing your oil pump stopped the noise with no problems? I might just go ahead and order an oil pump after I check to see if the bolts are backed out from the manifold to the head. It may be a combination of both i guess.
Pull the valve cover and run the motor while checking flow to the pushrods. Then you can inspect the rocker where the pushrod makes contact, for signs of galling. That's where my damage was, and the squeal was the dry pushrod wearing through the rocker.

It took about 50-75 miles for it to do enough damage that it would start ticking real bad, then start back firing on acceleration.

The squeal was intermittent during that time, and only after the 3rd time did I put 2 and 2 together.

I had a broken OP gauge so I did not know how bad the pressure was, so after I put in the new mechanical gauge, and saw how low, I put in the new pump, and no more issue.
capt205 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #19
bradleybrb

1975 CJ5 

Quote:
Bradley did you vacuume leak squeal start and stop or was it continuous?
Yes, the noise would start and stop. My thinking now looking back is that it would squeal until the motor warmed up then quit. I am guessing where it was leaking would expand when it got heated up just enough to make it quit. Hope you can find it. Those kinds of things can drive you crazy, especially with the wife looking over your shoulder!
bradleybrb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 01:06 PM   #20
hp_lovecraft
1981 CJ5 

I had this problem for years. Squeal at idle, after warmed up. And it was always worse in the summer, and after driving at highway speeds for any length.
I first figured it was the belt, or maybe the carb. I changed them both (needed to anyway), but the problem persistent. Oil and fuel pumps had been changed, but did not effect the squeal.

Since it only happened at idle, I figured it had to do with the intake, since it would only squeal when the manifold vac was 15 or higher. When the squeal was loudest, the engine ran hotter, and the idle creeped up, signs of an intake leak, running lean. I replaced all the vac tubing, and even rigged up a cold-air intake system (using Dodge Dakota plenum), but that made no difference.

The general consensus was that the cast-iron intake manifold must either need a new gasket, or it was cracked. I bought the seal kit, and went to remove the bolts..... and I discovered they were all LOOSE! I tightened them up, and the squeal instantly vanished. I suffered through that for 2 years..... and was just some loose bolts! Thats owning a Jeep in a nutshell
hp_lovecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:13 PM   #21
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp_lovecraft View Post
I had this problem for years. Squeal at idle, after warmed up. And it was always worse in the summer, and after driving at highway speeds for any length.
I first figured it was the belt, or maybe the carb. I changed them both (needed to anyway), but the problem persistent. Oil and fuel pumps had been changed, but did not effect the squeal.

Since it only happened at idle, I figured it had to do with the intake, since it would only squeal when the manifold vac was 15 or higher. When the squeal was loudest, the engine ran hotter, and the idle creeped up, signs of an intake leak, running lean. I replaced all the vac tubing, and even rigged up a cold-air intake system (using Dodge Dakota plenum), but that made no difference.

The general consensus was that the cast-iron intake manifold must either need a new gasket, or it was cracked. I bought the seal kit, and went to remove the bolts..... and I discovered they were all LOOSE! I tightened them up, and the squeal instantly vanished. I suffered through that for 2 years..... and was just some loose bolts! Thats owning a Jeep in a nutshell
AS soon as I get home today that is the first thing I'm doing! I havent had a chance to mess with it this week after I put the new alternator on. I pray thats whats giong on and the bolts just need snugged up! If thats the case I owe you all a beer!
Unread 09-19-2013, 02:27 PM   #22
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
AS soon as I get home today that is the first thing I'm doing! I havent had a chance to mess with it this week after I put the new alternator on. I pray thats whats giong on and the bolts just need snugged up! If thats the case I owe you all a beer!
Be sure and post your findings. Should be interesting.
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #23
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Well fellas, that still didnt work. I tightened every bolt on the manifold and she is still whistling at me. So to give everyone an idea, i videoed it last night and put it on the jeep forum and on you tube. If you would please go to this link and listen for the tea kettle sound in the video. Trust me you'll hear it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvJyb...ature=youtu.be
If you dont find it on there, i have posted it to the Jeep Forum and it should be under my profile. Thanks!
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #24
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Have you tried the garden hose trick? It works.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:36 AM   #25
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Have you tried the garden hose trick? It works.

Matt
Not yet but I plan to this weekend. Last ngiht was the only night i've had to actually tinker with it a second but that was cut short because we were throwing a birthday party. did you listen/watch the video?
Unread 09-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #26
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Not yet but I plan to this weekend. Last ngiht was the only night i've had to actually tinker with it a second but that was cut short because we were throwing a birthday party. did you listen/watch the video?
I did listen to it. It sounds internal to me, but it's difficult to tell listening to it on a computer.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:20 AM   #27
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

I'll def keep you posted incase someone else has this problem!
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:32 AM   #28
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
....It sounds internal to me....
I agree with Matt.

Doesn't sound like air to me, i.e. not a vacuum leak.
Sounds more like metal on metal.

Alternator bearing maybe?
Try running it with the belt off....
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:50 AM   #29
rollmodel1
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Xtreme View Post
I agree with Matt.

Doesn't sound like air to me, i.e. not a vacuum leak.
Sounds more like metal on metal.

Alternator bearing maybe?
Try running it with the belt off....
I just put a new alternator on it this week and it was doing it before i put that on. you dont think it could be the belt isnt tight enough possibly? That was going to be my next try. If thats not the case, then I believe I'm going to put a new oil pump on it.
Unread 09-20-2013, 07:59 AM   #30
2Xtreme
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ7 

Quote:
...you don't think it could be the belt isnt tight enough possibly?
Doesn't sound like a belt squeal to me.

Water pump?

You definitely want to try the garden hose trick to at least locate the general area it is coming from before yous tart throwing parts at it.

...just be careful of rotating parts.
2Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.