CJ tach wiring - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ tach wiring

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 01-07-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

CJ tach wiring

I bought a used tach and am in the process of cleaning it up for installation. The back two wires were unattached, and I don't know which wire goes where. Can someone identify these and tell me which goes on which side (red and red with white stripe), or if it even matters? Thanks.

dd4bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

Sure,
Look at your ignition switch.
There will be a connector just a little way from the switch where the tach goes in the dash, even if there isn't a factory tach.

Hooked up one way, it will work, the other, it won't.
Look at the wires in that connector to tell where the 'Strip' wire goes,
And look at the wire out to the ignition.

Since the wires are removed, you will just have to test it and see which way it works.

Is there any markings at the terminal connection points?
Like an 'S' for 'Switch' and an 'I' for ignition out to the engine bay?
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
dd4bama
1985 CJ7 

I looked, but there is nothing on the tach itself. I'm not sure I'm advanced enough to really identify the connector you are referring to. Is it a factory snap-type connector?
dd4bama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #4
gpower77
1985 CJ7 

It will be on the right side of the steering column, close to the firewall, and will be a heavy gauge red wire that is plugged together with a black connector. Unplug that connector, and have the tach in series, so red wire coming from the ignition switch, to tach, then tach to the firewall side red wire connector. May have to try swapping the wires on the tach around if you loose voltage to the distributer.

Garry
gpower77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 04:07 PM   #5
88gmc1

hope this helps

http://www.jeepkings.ca/forums/showt...ach&highlight=
88gmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.