cj suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj suspension

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-02-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
cityofcompton3

cj suspension

I have a 73 cj5 with a 4" suspension lift, reverse shackle, rancho 9000 shocks and a skyjacker suspension. My son is up in MI with the jeep and says the driver's side is collapsed, rubbing the fender flair while driving. According to him, the leaf springs look OK and the shakle is not fractured, but the driver's side is at least 3" lower than the other side. Rancho says its the leaf springs that hold it up so the shock isn't the problem, though it is completely compressed. Any guesses so I can order parts before I go up to join him?? Thanks much.

cityofcompton3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2005, 01:03 PM   #2
Xrossed

There are three things holding you up in the lift.
1. Shackles
2. Shocks
3. Leafs

If your droppped and the shackle isnt broken then the only thing that comes to mind would simply be the U-bolt stack. ( where the Leafs mount to the axle)

I'd go there.... chances are somethings dropped loose.
Xrossed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
jeepin cj-5

Id say it has to be either the driverside spring or the shacle. tell him to compare the arc in the driverside spring to the arc in the passenger side spring. it coulkd look like it still has good arc but actually be alot less than what it suppoed to be. Also check where the shacle mounts to the frame.. it could have come loose or pushed up in there somehow.... did u ask what he was doing when it happened? seems kinda weird for that to just go out liek that.
1985 cj7- SOA w/ Re 1.5" springs, Scout dana 44's, 4.56 gears f/r with full detroit f/r. Flattop knuckles and highsteer. Custom steering with 1 ton TRE's. Procomp es 3000 shocks w/ f250 shock towers. Tom Woods rear d shaft, 37" MTR's... with more and more sh*t piling up
jeepin cj-5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2005, 01:26 PM   #4
cityofcompton3

cj suspension

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I called up and he's checking this out. he also noted that both the shackles are at an angle toward the rear of the jeep, and I don't think that's right, aren't the std shackles 90 degrees to the frame?? I really appreciate the help guys.
Unread 08-03-2005, 09:09 AM   #5
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Shackles can be at any angle not necessarily 90 degrees. This depends entirely on the springs you have. Most importantly they should be the same on both sides. If not you have a problem.

Quote:
Does your gas tank overflow at the pump?
SUBMIT FORMAL COMPLAINT HERE!

2005 Rubicon LJ Unlimited - 4 1/2" BDS Suspension - 285/75/16 Toyo M/T's - 12,000# Winch - Ground Pounder Fab Rear Bumper - FabRieckAtions Custom Front Bumper - Overkill Engineering Tube Fenders - GR8 Half Top - Rock Hard Cage - Banks Monster Exhaust - 5.13 Gears - High Performance Flux Capacitor

1976 CJ-7 - 33" Super Swampers - BDS 4" Suspension - 6 Point Roll Cage
Mud Machine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2005, 09:48 AM   #6
gigihurt

The front shackles should be leaning out toward the front bumper. Like this / not this\
Unread 08-03-2005, 10:07 AM   #7
5artist5
1972 CJ5 

He said that he has a shackle reversal though. So the shackles for the front are in the rear of the leaf spring. In that case the shackles should be like this \ .

I like the broken u bolt theory.

Shocks don't hold anything up. ((If they are, it is a problem.)Unless they are coil over shocks)
5artist5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2005, 10:30 AM   #8
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Broken U bolts.. broken main leaf... caved in rusted frame...broken rusted frame

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2005, 03:28 PM   #9
gigihurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5artist5
He said that he has a shackle reversal though. So the shackles for the front are in the rear of the leaf spring. In that case the shackles should be like this \ .

I like the broken u bolt theory.

Shocks don't hold anything up. ((If they are, it is a problem.)Unless they are coil over shocks)
Sorry I seem to have overlooked that part. Ditto to what bezrk said.
Unread 08-03-2005, 08:21 PM   #10
dawgates
Web Wheeler
1980 CJ7 

My question is, what was your son doing when the suspension started to sag?

Is the body rusty at all? Body mounts?

It's one of thoughs things that just don't happen by itself.
80' CJ7, 360 Howell Injected, 3" single exhaust, NP435 4spd, Dana 300 AA clocking ring, Currie twin stick, Tera-Low 4 -1 kit, Dana 44 front, cut 10" wider to 63", 4.10 gears, ARB, Yukon axles and Super H/D u-joints, Currie Dana 44 rear, cut wider to 60 1/2", 4.10 gears, ARB 35 spline, Currie 35 spline axle shafts, 2 1/2" x 11" Ford drum brakes, CJ-SOA conversion, Tom Woods F & R drive shafts, Warn 9500i winch, 6 point cage, Homemade F&R bumpers and tire carrier, 1" body, Pro Comp supension Kit, 12.5x35x15 BFG's, 15x10 OMF beadlocks, Body armor, OBA.
dawgates is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2005, 08:27 PM   #11
RockRaider

Did you check the center pin, if it breaks then it may allow the spring to slide back some.
RockRaider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2005, 09:08 PM   #12
cityofcompton3

First of all, in my defense i was not driving the jeep when this happened. Several people are allowed to drive the jeep and it was like this when i got there.
Secondly, the jeep may have a shackle reversal, but shouln't the shackles still go like this /. If they went \ this way there would be nothing to push them back to a more vertical state. Once the leaf springs pushed the shackle to a more flat position they would stay like that. Don't shackles always have to go like / so that it pushes against the leaf spring.
Anyway i don't really know what to do, my father and i have checked just about everything we can think of that would be causing a problem. All the parts on the jeep that you suggest might be broken don't appear to be. The only thing we haven't done is start to take parts off, because we are in the middle of no where and don't really have a good place to work on it.
Lastly we talked to a guy, who offered this solution let us know what you think.

Remove the old shackles, leaf springs, ect. Weld on brackets to the frame and replace the old leaf springs with 1/2 ton truck leaf springs in the front. If you can see an problems with that solution let me know, thanks.
Unread 08-09-2005, 10:32 AM   #13
5artist5
1972 CJ5 

Well, it is possible we are getting confused with our slashes.
If we are looking at the driver's side of the jeep the front and rear shackles should be like this. \front rear\ They should go the same way, the frame attach point should be farther forward and the spring attach point should be farther rear.
You want the shackles to move rearward when the spring compresses.
5artist5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2005, 10:49 AM   #14
cityofcompton3

well the shackles are going in your small diagrams direction slanted back towards the rear end. however, i guess i just don't get the mechanics of this, what would force the shackles back to a more perpendicular position in regards to the frame, rather than what is doing now. The shackles lying almost flat along the frame.
Typical JEEP
Frame(straight line)
__________________________________________________ _________
Front leaf spring mount | \ Leaf Spring Shackle

MY JEEP

__________________________________________________ ___________
| __

That is hte best diagram i can make using these silly lines and stuff, either way the back shackles aren't springing back they pretty much stay flat like the second picture.
Unread 08-09-2005, 10:50 AM   #15
cityofcompton3

well that looks different than i wanted, either way the back shackle lies almost flat along the frame and has no bounce back

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.