CJ struggling at high RPM's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ struggling at high RPM's

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
cutlerdaddy
1985 CJ7 

CJ struggling at high RPM's

Hey,
I have an 85 CJ7 with a 4 spd manual trans. I live in Park City Ut and need to frequently climb hills on the freeway to get anywhere. When I hit any kind of hill the jeep just starts to quit on me. The more gas I give it the worse it gets. I cant keep it over 35 mph on the freeway which I think is dangerous. On flat ground it does just fine cruising around at 60-65mph. I dont expect to go fast I would just like to keep up with the semi trucks! The only think I can think of is that the Carb is bad or its not tuned correctly. I am not a very mechanical guy in figuring stuff out but I can, if told how, do most anything. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Brandon

cutlerdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

When was the last time it had a basic tune up?

Even just a blocked by dirt air filter can cause your symptoms, so can a fuel filter going bad or a dirty distributor cap and rotor.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
cutlerdaddy
1985 CJ7 

Thanks Mike,
So in your experience I shouldnt be having this problem?
I will go ahead and change out the fuel filter, air filter, and distributor cap those things are simple and see if it helps. I purchased the Jeep in Sept 09 and the previous owner had the engine rebuilt in Dec 08. I was able to speak to the mechanic and even get a warranty on the engine. He told me that the all of those things were done but maybe they werent. It sat from Dec 08 until I bought it so maybe they need to be addressed again, not sure.
Thanks for your help I will do that stuff and post my results.
If anyone else has any more ideas that would be great.
Thanks,
Brandon
Unread 05-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #4
scrapman
1984 CJ7 

Search "team rush upgrade". It is a distributor cap upgrade and really helped my jeep run smoother and have more power on hills.

The upgrade uses a ford dist. cap and adapter to fit your jeep. You will also need to replace the wires and plugs. All part numbers can be found by searching the above phrase.
scrapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 02:38 PM   #5
jp360cj
1977 CJ7 

What size tires and gears are you running? big tires + high gears won't help your situation either
Unread 05-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #6
cutlerdaddy
1985 CJ7 

Scrapman I'll check that out. thanks.

I am running 31x10.5 on 15's. I have no lift yet and I believe I still have the origninal gear setup. What ever that is. I know I should learn more about that.
Thanks
Unread 05-14-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
baldfatdad

set mixture and timing for high altitude. get a manual. pretty easy to do. Climbing that hill out of SL is a hard pull. Watch your water temp. If its runnig hot, turn on the heater. if that helps, get the co0ling system checked.
baldfatdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlerdaddy View Post
Thanks Mike,
So in your experience I shouldnt be having this problem?
I will go ahead and change out the fuel filter, air filter, and distributor cap those things are simple and see if it helps. I purchased the Jeep in Sept 09 and the previous owner had the engine rebuilt in Dec 08. I was able to speak to the mechanic and even get a warranty on the engine. He told me that the all of those things were done but maybe they werent. It sat from Dec 08 until I bought it so maybe they need to be addressed again, not sure.
Thanks for your help I will do that stuff and post my results.
If anyone else has any more ideas that would be great.
Thanks,
Brandon
The gas filters usually plug up fast and more than one, after they sit for a while so I would do that first before spending money needlessly. Be sure the smaller line off the level sitting gas filter sits at the top of it. It is there to blow vapors back to the tank on a hot shutdown rather than vaporlocking the gas line.

The modern gas rots out the lines from the insides and condensation gets in them also, both which cause rust flakes in the lines when they sit.

I normally expect to block 2 filters after getting a 'sitting for a long time' beast going and even keep a spare under my seat because they do plug up often if you off road.

They also get mud or dirt up behind the gas cap and some falls into my tank every time I fill up so I expect to use up filters when off roading lots. I live on a dirt and muddy road also.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
carburetor , cj7 , help please , power

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.