CJ storage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ storage

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 07-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #1
eatdrinkadam
1985 CJ7 

CJ storage

Hello all.

I have a dilemma.

I am an owner of a 85 cj7 4 cyl. Ive had it for about 3 years and love it. There's nothing I like more than tinkering on the thing from time to time. It's a beautiful condition, all original.

Ive had the recent need to explore alternative transportation. Creature comforts, gas mileage, distance, tax benefits, all come into play. I'll spare make and model for fear of being booted off the board

I have no desire to sell my Jeep, however, with the addition of the new car, I have no room for it (plus id rather not 2 car insurance payments)

I have the opportunity to leave it at my folks place in AZ, where it will remain dormant, under cover, outdoors, indefinitely.

Is this a good idea? Will leaving out in the hot desert (under cover) weather the Jeep badly? ( I assume it's better than leaving it out near the beach where I live now, because of rust, but what do I know?)

Anyone have any recommendations for leaving a Jeep this age dormant for long periods of time? (my knee jerk actions would be to unhook, battery, empty the tank, plug orifices like tail pipe & intake hose, etc. etc.)

Or should I just swallow my pride and sell it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

eatdrinkadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Sounds like a future barn find for some lucky soul.

I work and live overseas a lot and have often kept a car at home which emerges from its garage only once or twice a year. They deteriorate without use and no matter how dry the desert yours will as well. There are a few things you can do to make it last longer. If you want to get it up and running again some time in the next year I would do the following:

- Take the battery out and rig it to a solar charger, they can keep batteries alive for years. But take it out as the acid fumes will eat the hood.

- Pump the tires up to around 40 psi and then jack it up and put blocks under the axles. In the desert the tyres will rot but if they are up they will last longer

- Service the vehicle before it is put away, new lube and grease on everything.

- Fix any faults, if not you will be reluctant to spend a precious weekend later in the year doing so

- Clean it before you store it.

- Do not store it above an unpainted concrete slab, the moisture will kill it.

- Put soft cotton dustsheets over the top. They will keep the dust off the paint and the paint will last longer.

- Make sure the parking brake is off. Leave it on and it will seize on.

- Fold the mirrors in, they will not get knocked as much.

- Lock the doors, it will keep the curious out.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:01 AM   #3
Shenandoah
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Why not just ask your folks to drive it from time to time?
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
brownbagg
1930 MK Compass 

Rent a u storage close to house ans drive it on the weekends
brownbagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
smitty010203
1981 CJ5 

Donate it to the smitty010203 foundation
smitty010203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

What part of AZ? The valley? Prescott, Flagstaff?

If down in the valley your biggest concern will be the monsoons. What Bagus says is all correct, but you're probably okay to park on unpainted concrete. Much of the soil around Tucson and also Kingman are caliche. AMARG is at Davis-Monthan AFB for a reason; the climate and soil is perfect for long term storage.

How large is your parents' property? Possible HOA issues? How long is "a while"? Are you interested in preserving the paint? Is it a hard top? Willing to spend some money to "shed" it?
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:56 AM   #7
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

It's a Prius. You're buying a Prius, aren't you?
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

^^^Would YOU admit to that?^^^

OP, if true, we won't think the less of you!
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #9
eatdrinkadam
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
It's a Prius. You're buying a Prius, aren't you?
You got me. Prius C to be exact.

If it's any consolation, I will be giving it a 3 inch lift on a set of Mickey Thompsons.

@Bagus: All good advice. Thanks sir.

The vehicle will be stored near Kingman AZ. On dirt.

I factored out a storage unit, since I don't need another monthly payment at this point.
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #10
CSP

Sounds like that Prius really isn't saving you anything other than feeling warm and fuzzy inside. Does the gas mileage and tax benefits make up for having a car payment?
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #11
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Sounds like that Prius really isn't saving you anything other than feeling warm and fuzzy inside. Does the gas mileage and tax benefits make up for having a car payment?
This. I know it wouldn't where I live. I'm guessing long commute to work.
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
WindKnot
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ7 

Kingman has caliche soil as well, so you should be good there too. good dry climate. Your enemies are going to be the sun and winds mostly.

If you can be sure that the car covers will be maintained, you'll be fine. Also, to keep mice out, if you can convince your parents to toss a rag or cotton balls with peppermint oil on them, it will help a great deal. They can't stand the smell of the menthol in the peppermint.

If your paint is in good shape and you want to keep it, a shed large enough for the CJ can be had already built for you at about $4K. Something to think about...
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
eatdrinkadam
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSP View Post
Yeah its a full tax write off lease. Also I travel out of town often for work, so i dont have to rent a car anymore. Plus 50mpg beats 18mpg.
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #14
eatdrinkadam
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindKnot View Post
Kingman has caliche soil as well, so you should be good there too. good dry climate. Your enemies are going to be the sun and winds mostly.

If you can be sure that the car covers will be maintained, you'll be fine. Also, to keep mice out, if you can convince your parents to toss a rag or cotton balls with peppermint oil on them, it will help a great deal. They can't stand the smell of the menthol in the peppermint.

If your paint is in good shape and you want to keep it, a shed large enough for the CJ can be had already built for you at about $4K. Something to think about...
I also thought about one of these here:

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x...opy-69034.html
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
CSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdrinkadam View Post
Yeah its a full tax write off lease.
Not to stray too far off topic but this must qualify as a business expense then because the IRS hybrid tax credits ran out with the 2011 model year. Even as a business expense its only the amount of your lease multiplied by your tax rate, so it's not really a full tax write off.
CSP is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.