CJ Starter w/ Solenoid ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Starter w/ Solenoid ?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-24-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
CJwranglerjeeps
1983 CJ7 

CJ Starter w/ Solenoid ?

Is there a Starter that will fit a 1983 CJ 7 w/ a T5 Manuel trans that has the solenoid built on the starter ?

I am building a hybrid- A wrangler tub,wiring harness,automatic steering column put on a 1983 CJ 7 frame... Motor is a new 258cu Wrangler motor...

The starter from my wrangler is much smaller then the CJ starter.. I need a heavy duty CJ starter w/ a solenoid built on if possible?

Thanks for any help! AC

CJwranglerjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
ctm
1990 YJ Wrangler 

starter must match the flywheel.. Late CJ and 87 YJ used flywheel J3240094 and the CJ style starter. 88-90 YJ used flywheel 33002672 and the YJ style starter. there is a 'throw' depth difference in the starters.
ctm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Just do what I did, move the solenoid. I put it below the battery tray. No more wires going all the way up the fender and back. Much cleaner.

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
CJwranglerjeeps
1983 CJ7 

Afternoon, Thank you for reply. Yeah Im doing this wiring super clean... my CJ was a disaster.

I understand what you are saying the throws are two different depths.And thats my problem. On the wrangler motor that I just installed, I put the CJ flywheel & clutch on this new motor. The wiring is the wrangler wiring.

Wrangler starter has a built on solenoid, (which I am looking for a wrangler style starter but needs to be large like the CJ starter w/ the throw depth & beast ness)

My options are to try to wire up old style solenoid w/ original CJ starter which I dont know what the wiring would be.

Or to find a starter with the right throw depth but would have to have a solenoid built on it like the wrangler starter & I would use the pre exsiting wrangler wiring & firewall starter solenoid. ..

Hope this makes sense. Thank you again for reply & any suggestions. AC
CJwranglerjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
82JeepCJ7
1982 CJ7 

Be careful with the flywheels. All AMC motors have a specific flywheel for each CID. I'm not sure the 258 flywheel is balanced correctly for the 4.0

Wheel, Wrench, Repeat.
82JeepCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
solenoid , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.