CJ starter Q's with TF999 swap into YJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ starter Q's with TF999 swap into YJ

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

CJ starter Q's with TF999 swap into YJ

Hey Jeep Pro's I need a little assistance. I am in the middle of swapping a TF999 Automatic trans from a CJ into my YJ. I have everything done except the starter wiring.

My old YJ starter had the solenoid attached BUT The new CJ starter does not have a solenoid.

Did the CJ setup have a stand alone solenoid for the starter? If so Do I need another solenoid or can I tie into and use the solenoid on the located on the YJ firewall? If I need a new solenoid does anyone have a picture of how this is wired and a description. If you need any more info please let me know.

Greatly appreciated

Ray

rksnow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:28 PM   #2
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The cj is a ford starter and uses a ford solenoid on the wall. My yj came stock like that. Google a wire diagram from an 87 yj and it will show everything, its very easy
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Yes the CJ's use a stand alone solenoid. I'm not familiar with what you currently have on the YJ firewall, so I can't answer that question.

I can tell you how to wire the stand alone one.
Looking at this picture.

image-2676700149.jpg

The black wire is a Dedicated ground to the solenoid. This isn't OEM I added it for a better ground.

The 2 large red wires. One of them comes straight from the battery and connects to one of the large lugs. You can use the YJ wire that goes from the battery to the starter for this. On CJ's the alternators' large red wire goes on the side the battery is connected to ( on the solenoid)

Bill
The other side,(large red wire )on the large lug goes to the starter.

The 2 smaller wires.

image-3739005985.jpg

You should only need 1 wire, this will be the small wire that used to go to the YJ starter solenoid.

If when you buy the solenoid it has 2 small connections they should be marked with a I and a S, You will use the one marked with the S. ( start) the I terminal only has power with the key in the start position.

I would also be a good idea to run a Dedicated ground to one of the bolts that hold the starter.

B
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys, exactly what I was looking for. Ill order the solenoid now, the local Advanced auto didnt have one in stock. hoping to have in a few days and finish up then. Ill post back if I have any more questions.

THANKS AGAIN!
Ray
Unread 09-25-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Lucdog, I picked up my new solenoid today. Thanks for the info again.

One more question. My new solenoid does NOT have a ground post on the back like ive seen in other pictures. I couldnt tell from your picture but Does yours have this post? I saw you added a grounding wire to the bracket, so I dont know if it is needed. Here is another picture I found on here with the lug labeled "NSF switch ground"

Thanks
solenoid.jpg

Unread 09-25-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
lucdog
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksnow1
Lucdog, I picked up my new solenoid today. Thanks for the info again.

One more question. My new solenoid does NOT have a ground post on the back like ive seen in other pictures. I couldnt tell from your picture but Does yours have this post? I saw you added a grounding wire to the bracket, so I dont know if it is needed. Here is another picture I found on here with the lug labeled "NSF switch ground"

Thanks
Nope, doesn't have this post on 4 different CJ's . My ground is on one of the bolts that hold it to the inner fender.

I have no clue what NSF is. But my best guess is netural safety switch. I found this on a search. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/so...oblem-1343988/

Bill
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

The "NSF SWITCH GROUND" has to be connected to the automatic gearbox. It is the neutral safety switch!!!!

Basically the TF999 will ground that wire when it is in Park or Neutral and hence ground the solenoid allowing it to go click.

if you were to just run a wire from the solenoid post to the fender you would be able to start in Drive or Reverse.

The NSS switch is in the gearbox and there is a 3 pin plug going to it. The 2 outer pins are the reversing light connections. When you put the box into Park or Neutral a metal finger on the valve inside the box pushes on the switch enough to ground the centre pin and hence the NSS. In Reverse the finger is a lot longer and pushes the switch further to contact the two outer pins.

You need to find the switch and plug on the gearbox and run the central wire to the solenoid and the two outer to the reversing lights.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

but, if you use a ford solenoid, it won't have the nsf pole on the back of the solenoid so you can leave that wire off. i used a ford solenoid last time i worked on my starter system and it is a lot cheaper and easier for me to find here in south texas then the jeep one. all the other wires hook up the same.

the 87 model yj is set up identical to the cj in regards to the starter set up. my 87 came with a fair number of cj things when it rolled out of the factory
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Guys. My NSS harness plugs into the existing YJ harness so I may have to trace that out and see what I need to do there if anything. If I can eliminate or bypass the the switch and stil have the reverse and park lights I am ok with that too..

SuperJ, on your 87 YJ do you have a single lug solenoid on the firewall to the right of the battery as well in addition to th eCJ solenoid? (I have been looking for the 87 wiring diagram but I think my Chiltons manual isnt right. It has the same wiring from 87-90). On the factory setup from my 89 has a single lug solenoid (with a few accessory wires as well) mounted to the right of the battery on the firewall that runs to the solenoid on the YJ starter. Now that I wil lbe using the CJ (ford)style solenoid will I just remove the YJ single lug solenoid and run the accessory wires to the new CJ solenoid and ditch the YJ style one? Hoping this make sense..
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Mine originally had only the one with the nsf on it. Now it only ha the ford one. I only have one
Unread 09-26-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Guys, Now to trace some wires and see what I can get rid of on the old Yj solenoid and hopefully ditch that too. Any chance you are running the Lokar TV(kickdown) cable with a stock Carter carb and have a picture of how it attaches at the carb linkage?

Cant wait.. Hoping to be on the road by the end of the weekend...
Unread 09-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #12
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No. I haven't bought it yet and I have a holley four barrel. I locked my shift linkage with a bolt and washer and my trans shifts at 1700 every time. No kick down though so I have to shift down if I want to floor it out of the way of stuff. I have had it like this for almost two years with no trouble though
Unread 09-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Temporarily installed the new CJ/ Ford solenoid today until I can figure what all is connected on the YJ starter relay. That relay is a rats nest of aftermarket wires...

I bolted in the new CJ/Ford solenoidand ran the power wires but just used a jumper from the YJ starter relay ignition wire to the "S" terminal on the new relay. Spins over the starter as it should and sounds very strong.. I admit I did hold my breath hoping not to hear my rebuilt trans imploding. but sounded good so I did that right! I wasnt able to get the engine to fire up though.. I ran out of time today so will have to check spark tomorrow. Could this also be the NSS? Anything I should check there first? Not having the NSS pole on the new relay do I need to do anything down by the switch or anywhere else?
Unread 09-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #14
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

No, just leave it hanging. Mine is just hanging and everything works fine
Unread 09-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #15
rksnow1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Looks like it was a fuel issue not spark. Should have figured that, Its been sitting in my garage for a few months, but Got her fired up last night and running strong. Tomorrow Ill clear a path through the mess in my garage and see if she rolls out of the garage on her own power.

Still need to figure out the TV cable and mounting bracket for the carter carb but that should be it.

thanks again

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.