CJ Starter Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Starter Problems

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #1
Rob83CJ
1983 CJ7 

CJ Starter Problems

I have an 83 CJ with a 258 for about 2 years. In that time I have put in 4 starters. What happens is I put in a new one, and it works fine for about 10 starts, then I start hearing a bad noise everytime I start. At first it sounds like the starter is struggling to turn the flywheel then a big BANG, then struggling to turn the flywheel then BANG again. It will start like this far about 2-3 times then I just hear the starter turning freely without engaging the flywheel. I've had a couple of people look at the flywheel teeth and all say they look fine. I would definitely appreciate any ideas you guys might have...thanks in advance.

Rob83CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

How's the alignment of the starter and the fly wheel? Are the teeth positioned properly as I know some need spacers installed to get the correct alignment.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Davis77Cj
1977 CJ7 

ditto ^^^

had a similar problem on my boat, it bolted up fine and looked straight but when engaged the starter was binding from being at an angle.
Unread 05-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
HALOjmpr
You want what, when?

1982 CJ7 

I had seen this issue before. Found the thread for you. This should help a lot!

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/86...grind-1513007/

My jeep project "Rustful Dead"
HALOjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Please keep us posted on this issue.....
Unread 05-15-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
Rob83CJ
1983 CJ7 

Thank you guys!!! I'll keep you updated. Have a guy working on it now and I'll pass this along. Much appreciated!!
Rob83CJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-16-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob83CJ
Thank you guys!!! I'll keep you updated. Have a guy working on it now and I'll pass this along. Much appreciated!!
That guy working on it better be you as working on a starter is easy. I changed out my starter in 10 minutes and that was with downing a beer.
Just messing with you......
Unread 05-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
PROJECT 23
1985 CJ7 

That guys arms must be sore from working on the starter all this time..... Spill the beans with the status......
Unread 05-18-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
CJ7KAHUNA

1985 CJ7 

I had this issue and my mechanic friend ended up fabbing some shims and shimming the starter. It worked. I am currently having my motor changed out and am changing bell housings while the motor/trans is out. Hopefully this will fix my issue.

This starter issue is the biggest PIA I have dealt with. Its also very common. If someone has posted, or does post a definitive repair thread on this issue I vote for having it stickied or having it added to the CJ Stickies thread.
CJ7KAHUNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
86cj74.2L
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7KAHUNA
I had this issue and my mechanic friend ended up fabbing some shims and shimming the starter. It worked. I am currently having my motor changed out and am changing bell housings while the motor/trans is out. Hopefully this will fix my issue.

This starter issue is the biggest PIA I have dealt with. Its also very common. If someone has posted, or does post a definitive repair thread on this issue I vote for having it stickied or having it added to the CJ Stickies thread.
All the starter noise for Grammys 86 CJ was I didn't have the dowels pressed into the block. They are what locates the starter.

You don't shim a ford starter. If shimming it fixes it the dowels are most likely not in the block in the lower two corners.

PS. That is what fixed Matt's starter noise.
86cj74.2L is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
bang , banging , cj , starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.