CJ Stalling and losing power - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Stalling and losing power

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #1
DirtyDevin
1983 CJ7 

CJ Stalling and losing power

I am not sure what caused the issue but here is a little back story.

I took the CJ camping a couple of weeks ago. I wheeled it pretty good then drove about 60 miles back home all without incident. After bringing it home I took it to the local car wash and sprayed it down including the motor. I covered the carb and distributor with plastic and don't believe anything got wet.

I drove it home with no problems. I then noticed I was really low on gas so I put about 5 gallons of gas in the tank out of a red gas can I had in the garage.

While driving it the other day it was losing power under load almost like it was put in neutral. It has only been getting worse. It idles great....purrs like a kitten, but if you try to give it power and go it will take off then just loses all power like it was put in neutral, but it doesn't stall usually although sometimes it does.

I changed the fuel filter and I put a bottle of Iso Heet in the tank last night thinking there may be water in the fuel and the problem only got worse.

Any thoughts / ideas?

DirtyDevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
dslywalker
1983 CJ7 

Your ignition module could be bad.
dslywalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

There is a $2.00 air filter on the bottom of the gas tank vent (charcoal canister) that can cause those symptoms when dirty. You got it muddy from the sounds of things. Quick test is to crack open the gas cap and drive it that way for a bit.

A blocked air filter can also cause those symptoms.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
DirtyDevin
1983 CJ7 

I took the gas cap off and that didn't help. If anything it's getting worse. stalled in the neighborhood and had to get towed home by a JK
DirtyDevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #5
Rollbar
1984 CJ8 

Change out the plugs Auto-lite Copper plus. Maybe you cracked some by getting them wet when they were hot.

Check the PCV and see if it is getting good suction.

CJ8 Build Thread<---- Click
Rollbar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.