cj stalling - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj stalling

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-20-2003, 12:20 PM   #1
daytoncj

cj stalling

the past three days my cj has been stalling out almost immediately when i come to a stop. whenever i push in the clutch the tach needle drops and it stalls out. i checked the carb, and the choke butterfly was sticking open. after i cleaned it, it shuts. however, when i was manually pushing the throttle the butterfly did not hardly open or close. someone please help. im not good with carbs and i believe this is the main problem. thanks.

daytoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2003, 12:50 PM   #2
CJeep
Alpha dog

1982 CJ8 

Do a search here and on google with carter, stall, idle, etc.. They are famous for what you describe. Easy fix by drilling out the idle tubes a hair.

2004 Grand Limited 4.7 HO - OH Boy!

2010 Grand Laredo 5.7 Hemi - SICK - work vehicle -gone - replaced by an 08 Tahoe - nice ride.

"Both my Doberman and my Jeep can accurately be described as 'black and rust.'"

"I got a fever . . . and the only prescription is more cowbell"
CJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2003, 01:14 PM   #3
daytoncj

well ive heard of this on the carter carb on the 258 but i have the 304. i know its probably the same type of problem but i need someone with knowledge of the stock motorcraft carb. i did a search everywhere and it always gives me results for a 258. thanks. later.
daytoncj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
explortainment

there are a couple of guys on the jeepsunlimited.com site that jump on the carb questions and can give you all the help you need.
explortainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2003, 04:13 PM   #5
fuzz401
1978 CJ7 

did you look for any vacum leaks take a can of carb cleaner and spray it around the base and intake of the carb and see if it idels any better the choke is springe loaded and opens and closes buy heat when hot it should be open when cold it should close when you move the gas pedal and you might havs some dirt in the idel circit of the carb might want to rebuild the carb and see if that helps
turbo 400 tranny 2500 stall
model 20 transfer case
aj delux glass body
4" lift
dana 30 frount
dana 44 rear
4.56 gears
http://img2.photobucket.com/albums/v...slideshow=true
http://photobucket.com/albums/v31/fu...slideshow=true
13.461 @ 92.45 mph on 37" super swampers on 1/4 mile
fuzz401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2003, 11:57 AM   #6
40Below

I have the 258 with the Carter BBl and I too was having it die at idel and any time I used the clutch! I first changed the fuel and air filters (was time anyways). Found that this did not fix the problem so I shot some wd40 around the vacume lines and found no change in motor noise (rpm). So I decided to remove the carb for a rebuild/cleaning.

NOTE :I am not a master mechanic but a brave weekend wrencher.

I followed the limited info in my hayes manual as well as looking up the carb link listed above. I tore apart the carb and soaked the mid section with the float bowls and used spray cleaner on the rest of the carb. I followed the drill out instructions for the idle pickup tubes and reassembled the carb. While I had the carb off, I tightend the manifold bolts (had a leak near the fire wall). replased all the parts and fired up the ole-Jeep. after a small warm-up she runs better than ever.

I found the info in the carb ling to be of great value and well written.... THANKS>

84 CJ7 Laredo 258/T5 herced tub 86/D44 4.5"RE lift, 33Xterrains and a TWoods CV driveshaft Custom bumpers and tire rack.[COLOR=Blue]Blue Jeep Club #140[/COLOR]
40Below is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2003, 02:44 PM   #7
MudMonster

same thing is wrong with my 258. (Diffrent carb i know), but the choke plate would start out open then fall closed when i was driving, sometimes the only thing keeping it alive was the wheels rolling. My vacum system is all messed up and I'm vacum retarded. so if anyone has a diagram of the vacum system that sure would help me a lot, and hopefully daytoncj too.
MudMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.