Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

CJ in the snow

2K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  foggybottombob 
#1 ·
How are they? First year with one. Don't think forward motion is gonna be a problem but how about those pesky winter wonderland stops. Jeep has the quadratrac with drums all the way around and doesn't like to stop on dry pavement without doing the stand on the brake pull up on the steering wheel combo. P.O. said it likes to spin around in a circle on stops.. am I screwed?

#2 ·
My Cj doesn't have quadratrac... but with the 13.5" wide tires it can only be driven in snow in 4 wheel drive. If I put it in 2 High and just punch it it will just spin out forever. As far as stopping goes, yeah if you are going 45 in the snow and slam on the brakes you are just gonna slide. So down shift to slow down as often as possible and as easy as possible. Pump your brakes as a last resort, or just go with the slide and learn to manuever while in the snow. Most importantly have fun because if you have a CJ it doesn't really matter if you slide off the road or crash into a snow bank, because all you have to do is put it in 4 Lo and bust yourself out with no worries.

#3 ·
Just remember if you have regular 4wd that it will lock all 4 wheels together in a skid - impossible to control then. When stopping drop it into 2wd... Learned this after going sideways slowing to a stop in my F150... Scary lesson learned quick!

#4 ·
First I would see what the problem is with the brakes. I had no problem locking up the brakes in my CJ5 with drums on each corner. Even with the 33's on the jeep. Biggest help was braided brake lines. Made braking quick and precise.

Second, Drive slower. Getting stuck in 2wd is a lot easier because you can still go into 4wd. Getting stuck in 4wd means a phone call to your buddy.

Sometimes I would put the jeep in 4wd to help with braking to keep the rear end from locking up so soon. It probably helps because I'm carrying a 800# snow plow on the front and the rear is unloaded and the front has more traction. This only works in a controlled stop anyway but works great.

However, like D-BO says, once you lost it, 4WD ain't going to help you braking. A lesson many new 4wd owners learn very quick. Drive in 2wd until you need 4wd and then slow down. Actually, the only vehical I ever felt save in going fast in the snow was a 76 Honda Civic.

Another thing I found out was keeping it in 4wd all the time on partially icy roads, it seems the t-case loads up and as soon as you hit a patch of ice, it unwinds with a quick loss of traction. I keep it in 2wd until it's too slippery then slow down and put it in 4wd.

#5 ·
Snow can be tricky in a CJ, best to take out to empty parking lot and practice stopping and turning and so on. Be careful of snow drifts, snow can really take advantage of a light weight CJ and throw you in the ditch. You need to begin stopping about a block away from the stop sign or light. CJs will slide if you slam on the brakes suddenly, best not to follow anyone too close. It is critical to keep it in 4wd at all times when operating in slick conditions. Other than that have fun!

#6 ·
Correct tires have more to do with stopping IMO and this has been covered a lot.

Tall skinnies will cut through on the street and are preferred over wide tires that float unless you are in really deep snow. All terrain tires are best with more siping and better grip than a Mud terrain tire.

In deep snow wider is better to keep you on top of it with an increased contact patch.

#7 ·
1. Get your brake system up to snuff...something is clearly wrong there.
2. Narrower tire is better on the street.
3. Keep it in 2WD, only use 4WD when you must.
4. Practice driving, turning, stopping in an empty parking lot. With the short wheelbase, CJ's can be tricky in low traction situations. You don't get that slow fishtail that you get in a longer vehicle, it'l whip around on you *real* quick so you have to know what to expect and being to respond quickly. Sometimes the throttle is a better response than the brake pedal.

#8 ·
I've been out playing with the no talent idiots here in Indy with our first snowfall. 1" of snow packed into sheet ice because .gov didn't send trucks out until 7am..

This is my first snow adventure in my CJ.. With both hubs locked, steering was non existent under deceleration. I remember reading about locker issues here so I unlocked one hub and she turned into an angle. I don't have any reason to believe my CJ has anything but a stock open front diff so I am a bit confused but the one hub deal was like magic for me..

#16 ·
I've been out playing with the no talent idiots here in Indy with our first snowfall. 1" of snow packed into sheet ice because .gov didn't send trucks out until 7am..
My second winter season in Indy, but am originally from NW Indiana, so snow is usually not a problem for me to drive in, driven everything from full size trucks, FWD cars, small wheelbase jeeps, I think practice and the ability to not panic is huge. Just like on the trail, stay calm in a slide and think of what your best course of action is, don't merely just slam on the brakes and hope you don't hit anything. to me 4WD only helps to turn or move out of the way of something you may be sliding toward, other than that it is very unpredictable what your vehicle will do if you spin while in 4WD.

#10 ·
as far as 2wd/4wd goes, I think the OP said he has a Qtrac tcase... So unless he's upgraded to the part time system this is an irrelevant topic.

Fix the brakes, drive cautiously, and research a 4wheel disc/power brake conversion...

And to the OP...fill in your profile info so we know what your rig consists of so we can have a better idea of how to give you bad advice! ;)

#11 ·
Getting my first taste of snow today...
Probably going to drive the FSJ, I like the wheel base in the snow,
Takes longer to switch ends when it starts to slide!

#12 ·
For me, 4wd doesn't let me drive faster or stop better in the snow, it basically keeps me out of the ditches and helps me avoid the 5 mph collisions. I drive slow in the snow, no matter what I drive, and give myself lots of stopping distance. I leave the fast snow driving to the people in the $40,000 SUV's who think that with 4wd they are invincible. I just stay out of their way. There is no place to hurry to that's worth your life or the life of others.

#15 ·
Yu...I love those folks...usually see them in a ditch (sometimes upside down) further up the road.

#17 ·
The only thing I don't like is how the cops don't understand why you are in that empty parking lot driving around. I think they should be happy you are learning how to handle the vehicle off the roads where the only thing to worry about is hitting the light poles or those shopping cart corrals. I guess that as long as you're not just doing doughnuts and being obnoxious with a loud exhaust they may be able to turn their head long enough for you to leave, once you explain why you are just driving back and forth in a controlled manner with a little spin-out here and there..

#18 ·
stop what you are doing. Go to ebay and buy a yj booster and master cylinder. I have had my jeep several years now and i really wish i would have done that from the get go. I messed witht he stock brakes and i could never get them to work right. Bottom line is there is no point in putting time and effort into a system that is going to be difficulty to use even when working properly. Especially if this is a dd.

2 months ago i had drums all the way around and manual brakes. I just thought hey i love this car and its something i have to deal with. It gives it character. Its not something you have to deal with. Its like a 40 dollar fix that will be the best money you have ever spent.

I did that and i am not lying i can stop my cj with my pinky finger (well i could if i had long enough arms). I have since switched to disc brakes up front here is my observation. Drum goes from light to medium braking and then a little after medium it locks up the disks will just lock up way way later.

Words cannot describe how much more i enjoy driving my cj without having to do leg presses to stop it. Stress levels went way down.

If you are interested in doing this pm me and i can tell you everything you need to know. There is a lot of write ups on it but some critical things are not mentioned when you are using drums.

As for the snow. they really like to loose traction accelerating. Just go really slow and stay away from others.

where in ohio are you??

#20 ·
Drove my cj in the snow today, it really wasn't all that terrible. it was everything but worthless in 2wd though, did nothing but spin the tires.

4wd is a different story, i have a lock right in the front of mine, so when you put it in 4x4 it really likes to dig in the snow, only thing i didn't like was the fact that you had to switch in and out of 4x4 and 2x4 a lot.

Braking on the other hand... avoid others like the plague, mine with the locker once one side started to skid the other was quick to follow suit, for example i had 1 tire on a snow track the other was on dry pavement, the passenger wheel began to skid, but the drivers side only momentarily skidded on the pavement and it stopped very quickly.

Definitely quick to whip around though, so 4x4 can be your friend to keep it pointing where you want it to go.

#21 ·
well today, i went in the ditch on my way to class. Basically i engine braked down to 15mph and then taped the break and my tail slid out sending me down a 4 foot ditch, nice thing was that i just poped it in 4 and drove straight up. After looking at my brake system i discovered that i didn't have any rear brakes due to a leaking wheel cylinder on the drivers side, and then i had grease on the passenger side drum :brickwall

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.