CJ Scrambler engine restoration - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 09-20-2015, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
wolfmoon1313
1982 CJ8 

Cj CJ Scrambler engine restoration

I have 1982 CJ Scrambler that still has it's original 4.2L inline 6 in it. It is now starting to fall apart. The radiator is spewing, the plastic valve cover is leaking, the brake fluid is leaking, etc. My question is: Does it lower the value of the Jeep by replacing those parts with modern equipment, or should I be searching for old parts? I was considering putting in an aluminum valve cover as well as maybe a Flex-a-Fit radiator.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-20-2015, 05:01 PM
scoutboater
1974 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon1313 View Post
I have 1982 CJ Scrambler that still has it's original 4.2L inline 6 in it. It is now starting to fall apart. The radiator is spewing, the plastic valve cover is leaking, the brake fluid is leaking, etc. My question is: Does it lower the value of the Jeep by replacing those parts with modern equipment, or should I be searching for old parts? I was considering putting in an aluminum valve cover as well as maybe a Flex-a-Fit radiator.

Thanks in advance.
I would say that the aluminum valve cover is fine since its pretty much a standard upgrade. As for the radiator, most people don't have a problem with the stock radiator. Even if you feel like you need a little more cooling capacity, stock style three row radiators are pretty easy to find at your FLAPS.
post #3 of 24 Old 09-20-2015, 08:48 PM
STJP

1985 CJ7 

Welcome to another NC CJ owner. You are wise to be concerned about future value. A Jeep can be upgraded with better parts without lowering its value (collector type value). Collector value fades when upgrades are made that cannot be reversed. Make bolt on upgrades and keep old parts. Valve cover is a good upgrade. I am installing one, but I will not throw the original plastic one in the trash. Don't throw oem parts in trash.

There are lots of upgrades to restomod (restore with modifications) a Jeep. This forum will be a HUGE help to you. Tip: when searching topics do NOT use the JeepForum search function, it sucks. Use Google and you will be able to find Forum threads on just about any topic. eg Google "Jeep 258 valve cover install" and you'll have more access to more JeepForum threads on the subject than you can soon read.
Cheers, STJP
post #4 of 24 Old 09-20-2015, 09:01 PM
STJP

1985 CJ7 

I forgot.......

FLAPS means Friendly Local Area Parts Store

In your Profile.......if your Jeep is stock(?) you have a Dana 30 front
differential an AMC 20 rear differential and a Dana 300 transfer case. Search for pics to be sure. OR post pics and ask. Important that your profile be as accurate as possible. Also when you ask a question it helps others see what you have etc.

A first purchase I recommend is a FSM (factory Service Manual) You can find them free in digital form on this Forum and you can buy CDs on EBAY or spend large money and buy an original (unneccesary).

STJP (near Greensboro)
post #5 of 24 Old 09-23-2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
wolfmoon1313
1982 CJ8 

radiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutboater View Post
As for the radiator, most people don't have a problem with the stock radiator. Even if you feel like you need a little more cooling capacity, stock style three row radiators are pretty easy to find at your FLAPS.
Thanks for the advice. My 1982 Scrambler has A/C. Do I need a special radiator for that or will the stock one do?
post #6 of 24 Old 09-23-2015, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
wolfmoon1313
1982 CJ8 

NC Scramblers unite :)

I actually own 2 Scramblers. I bought one back mid July and the freakin rear passenger wheel broke off the axle. It has been sitting in a 4X4 shop ever since. I bought it as a super project. I found this sweet 1982 CJ8 looking for parts for the other one, and just had to have it. I tried to add the 1981 to my profile but couldn't figure it out at the time. I will try again.

Thanks a lot for all the helpful posting.

Also, do you guys have any recommendations on stereo equipment? Mine came with an old Alpine in the center tuffy with speakers in rear tuffys but it doesn't really work worth a crap. I want to upgrade to something that can be heard with top and doors off on the highway.
post #7 of 24 Old 09-23-2015, 12:20 PM
89 JeepYJ
1984 CJ8 

As a local Raleigh Scrambler owner I think we need to see some pics. Its cool the see other people in the area with scramblers. As for upgrading parts it shouldn't hurt the value. Anyone who would rather have a old plastic leaking valve cover over a good aluminum one just so it would be an original part is an idiot. Now if you start putting in a chevy V8 and full width axles then that is a totally different story.
post #8 of 24 Old 09-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Pathkiller
1974 CJ5 

The Scramblers that bring huge money are the ones that are 100% correct and restored or completely original and unaltered. If you're concerned about that, don't do any modifications that can't easily be switched back to original. Don't cut up the dash to install a stereo, either.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-23-2015, 02:18 PM
orange150
1982 CJ8 

Another local Scrambler owner here!

Mine has(had) A/C as well and the radiator is no different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathkiller View Post
The Scramblers that bring huge money are the ones that are 100% correct and restored or completely original and unaltered. If you're concerned about that, don't do any modifications that can't easily be switched back to original. Don't cut up the dash to install a stereo, either.

'82 CJ-8
258/AX15/D300
OME YJ 2.5"/31s
D30/D44/3.73s/Truetracs
post #10 of 24 Old 09-24-2015, 10:03 AM
wm69
1985 CJ7 

Upgrade the parts, keep the original stuff.

Dad's Scrambler has 4700 miles on it as of two weeks ago when I took it dove hunting. I've replaced the belts, added a Laredo grab bar, NOS white spoke wheels (originals were the stamped steel, which I still have with the 205/75 Michelins that came on it). I plan on putting new hoses on it next time I have it out.

The factory plastic valve cover leaked the day he brought it home from the dealership, so I have an aluminum cover that will go on it at some point.

I've got the AMC marked original belts, the original grab bar, and will keep the AMC marked hoses when I take them off. I will also keep the original plastic valve cover when I replace it, and putting the aluminum cover on only requires that I tap the two dowel holes on the driver's side of the block.

I have a lot of stuff I'm going to do to this Jeep at some point (when I get my '7's like I want them) and have been accumulating parts to add to the Scrambler when I do it. I've picked up 3.31 axles with lockers and one piece axles to go in it with 2.5" Rancho springs and Conn-Ferr stock length shackles (it came with 2.73's), a NOS AM/FM/CB, an OEM A/C unit, and a full length hard top that will go on it at some point.

It's a base model so I got OEM rocker trim and a Laredo steering wheel and NOS Laredo horn button to go on it as well. Going to put speakers in the dash in the factory location and have a Tuffy console that I'm going to put in, but I'm going to fab a rear bracket that uses the seat belt holes to mount the rear of the Tuffy so I don't have to drill. I have full length sliders (look like Warrior Product "Rock Barz") that I had custom made that sandwhich the frame so no drilling is required to mount them.

Other than drilling holes to add the OEM rocker trim and tapping two holes for the valve cover, NONE of this stuff will permantly alter the Jeep. I'm keeping all the original parts and the Jeep will be able to be put back to 99% stock if someone in the future desires to do so. I know I will NEVER sell this Jeep, and I want to be able to enjoy it during my life. If my kids want to sell it, I'm keeping all the original stuff and that should enable them to get top dollar for it should a collector buy it in the future. I'm hoping they'll have the Jeep bug and it will stay in the family.

Point being, you can make modifications to the Jeep without ruining it if you think about it before you start cutting and drilling. No point in having a vehicle if you can't do what you want with it or to it.

85 CJ7 258, borla header, Team Rush, MC2100 ,optima batt, Warn 8274, agr super box 2 & pump, T5 w/ B&M shifter, centerforce 2, superior 1 piece axles, warn hubs 2.5 in lift, 31" BFG MT

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
post #11 of 24 Old 09-24-2015, 12:34 PM
bob4703
1974 CJ5 

Do you have the original stereo opening on the dash? Pictures would be great. I found a stereo that would fit in my CJ5 dash, but the previous owner had slightly enlarged it so I had to adapt. Not real sure what room you have in a Scrambler between the dash and the heater manifold.

-----

If it has electric windows and A/C it ain't a Jeep. It is a rebranded Dodge!
post #12 of 24 Old 09-24-2015, 02:00 PM
wm69
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
Do you have the original stereo opening on the dash? Pictures would be great. I found a stereo that would fit in my CJ5 dash, but the previous owner had slightly enlarged it so I had to adapt. Not real sure what room you have in a Scrambler between the dash and the heater manifold.
Dad ordered the Jeep without a radio so it has the plastic delete plate on it now, but the standard two post cutout is there as they came from the factory.

Any stereo is a tight fit in a CJ, but with a little contorting and cussing most will fit between the dash and the defroster duct.

Pic is one I pulled of the web, but same stereo I have in a stock CJ dash.
Attached Images

85 CJ7 258, borla header, Team Rush, MC2100 ,optima batt, Warn 8274, agr super box 2 & pump, T5 w/ B&M shifter, centerforce 2, superior 1 piece axles, warn hubs 2.5 in lift, 31" BFG MT

85 CJ7 258, A/C, T176, MC2100, Team Rush, Warn XD8000i, superwinch hubs, 3in lift 31" BFG AT/KO
post #13 of 24 Old 09-24-2015, 02:01 PM
wm69
1985 CJ7 

Here's the dash as it is now. Cover plate covers two holes for the posts and a rectangular hole for the middle of the stereo.
Attached Thumbnails
dashclose.jpg  

post #14 of 24 Old 09-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon1313 View Post

Thanks in advance.
Unless it's in pristine condition, don't sweat re-sale value. CJs aren't exactly a sought-after collector vehicle, even the 8.

Upgrade the bolt-on parts to your liking, avoid cutting the tub or dash (unless it's to remove rust), and enjoy it.

Matt
post #15 of 24 Old 09-24-2015, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
wolfmoon1313
1982 CJ8 

Stereo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4703 View Post
The previous owner had a decoy radio in the dash. I dont have pics of these things because of how picky the forum is on pic size and my work computer is not set up to do easy pic edits. The main stereo is in the center tuffy box. It was probably top of the line in 2002.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.