CJ Rubicon express ??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Rubicon express ???

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-13-2010, 07:46 AM   #1
havasushadow

CJ Rubicon express ???

looking into the RE etreme 4.5" lift on my CJ anybody have this lift and do you like it or not would you do it again.Alittle pricey considering there are alot of suspenion lifts out there for 1/2 the cost of the RE but i only want to do this once and hoping for the best ride considering it is leaf springs.
Looks like the RE switches the front springs to yj springs and has everything included in the kit less shocks and drive line.
Any and all input would be appreciated thanks!

havasushadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Sundowners
1985 CJ7 

I have the lift but its still in the box. I have heard that the shocks that RE sells for the lift are not the correct length. A couple of people have mentioned that they are too short.

This was a while ago so maybe RE fixed that problem?

B
Sundowners is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
havasushadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundowners View Post
I have the lift but its still in the box. I have heard that the shocks that RE sells for the lift are not the correct length. A couple of people have mentioned that they are too short.

This was a while ago so maybe RE fixed that problem?

B
Did you do some research before your purchase as far as ride quality,I guess what i mean is why did you decide on RE? Thanks
Unread 01-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
gmakra
1985 CJ7 

The RE lift is great its one of the best out there. The kits are well thought out fit the majority of the Jeeps out there. Though if there was some weird stuff done to your Jeep such as extreme body lifts or that kinda stuff you may have a few issues. The ride quality is very good, some of the less expensive lift kits may vibrate the filling out of your teeth
gmakra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 10:02 AM   #5
John N
1981 CJ8 

I have the RE 4.5 on my Scrambler. The front springs are YJ width, but CJ springs are 1" shorter. The kit is good quality and complete. The ride is good. I used Rancho 9000 shocks, because I wanted adjustable shocks. My has sagged a bit in the front over 5 years because I have a V-8, heavy bumper and winch. If I were to replace my springs, which may happen at some point, I'd use their rear springs at all 4 corners due the extra weight I have in the front.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
CJ7Rubicon
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John N View Post
My has sagged a bit in the front over 5 years
Thats the only problem I have had with mine,but it has been 5 years so I figure thats not really a complaint on my end.Im happy with them and one of the members in my club says he is very impressed with my flex compaired to his linked commanche.

If you are hard on your jeep,you may need a rear shaft with a longer slip.Mine was fine for years until I started the more hardcore trails,I over extended my rear shaft and twisted the splines.Went with a tom woods and all is right again.
Blue Jeep Club Member #134
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tQ_AE6iqis
http://www.freedomoffroad.org
CJ7Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
MoC
1986 CJ7 

x3 on the shocks not being the corrent lenght. I got around 6.5 inches from the lift not just 4.5
If have not installed shocks yet and it does rides better than my stock springs with shocks and handles the same. Also did a tie rod & drag link repalcement and flip at the same time so I am sure that helped the steering as well.
MoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Roanoke XJ

I have had it for 5 years. I run the 258 and have not sagged. The kit is very flexible. The only issue I have was the CJ wandered after I put it on. I replaced all the steering components. Long story short, I had to buy shims for the front axle. They didn't come with the kit when I bought it. Other than that, I really enjoy it.

It flexs very well.
Roanoke XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 04:14 PM   #9
mmerlina
Image Glassworks, Inc.

1986 CJ7 

I have the 4.5" RE kit on my CJ and I love it.. I wouldn't trade it for anything. If I had to do it over again I would go with them in a heartbeat.

Yes they are more expensive, and yes the quality and ride reflect the extra expense.

Plus the sales people over there are the most helpful people I've ever dealt with. They'll stay on the phone with you for hours if you like.

1986 Jeep CJ7 (photos)
Remanufactured 258, ARB lockers front & rear, 4.10 Yukon gears, 35x12.5" Super Swamper SSR's, Motorcraft 2100, 4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme-Duty lift, York 210 OBA, Big Daddy steering, Tatton rear CV driveshaft, Herculined interior, TJ flares, lots of body & upholstery work
mmerlina is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #10
gojeepin
1983 CJ7 

It's a great kit... had mine for 4 years. They also sell a lot of suspension components separately and have great support.

83 CJ7, 4.1L 6cyl (4.0L bored .030" over), 35" tires, T-5 transmission, Dana 300 TC, Trussed AMC 20.
gojeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
havasushadow

thanks for all the replies!!
Ordered my RE kit yesterday and by everything everyone has said i feel confident i will be happy with it.
I'll post some pics once the lift and tires are done.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.