CJ rollbar - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ rollbar

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-18-2003, 09:48 PM   #1
CJay7
1985 CJ7 

CJ rollbar

I am thinking about a custom rollbar for added backseat protection. I am doing some body work and will have the old one out so I was thinking about either a custom or later YJ rollbar for added protection for rear passengers but I am having trouble finding anyone in my area that can make one. Does anyone know of a mail order or possibly somewhere in the Virginia Beach area that may do this kind of work? How strong would a YJ rollbar hold up in the event of a roll over if I were to go that route? I love the classic CJ look but I am concerned about having kids in the back (someday) without more rear support. If anyone can help or has some ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

'85 CJ-7 - 258 bored .030 w/ mid level cam, 4.0 head, Clifford intake and header, Weber 38, TFI w/ MSD 6, Black Diamond 3" lift, Daystar 1/2" lift shackles, 33x12.5 Goodyear Duratracs with stock 3.31 gears.
CJay7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2003, 11:06 PM   #2
yellar bellied

Not sure if you can see the extra bar in the back very well. I had it added to the back section for my dogs riding in the back. Wanted some protection for a roll plus an extra bar to hold the custom top to shade them as well. The bar was made of a lighter gauge tubing but will suit the purpose where you'd probably want to stay with the heavier gauge for your little people.

Makes the jeep look kinda boxed off a bit but saftey first.
yellar bellied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2003, 11:21 PM   #3
only in a jeep cj
1986 CJ7 

I'm sure most will disagree with this, but I feel a triangle is stronger as a structural brace then is a square (looking from the side on both CJ and late YJ). Combine that with the fact that most of the weight in a Jeep is up front (engine and front axle) and if flipped, the two contact areas are the hood and the top of the roll bar. If any forward motion is involved during a roll, a triangle has the hypotenuse (the 45 degree side) to brace any rearward bend, whereas a square will fold at the opposing corners and collapse. Where the issue of added protection comes into play is above the 2 front seats via full cage. If you plan on rolling over where large rocks/boulders could enter the rear seat area, then the "family cage" is great. Truth is, it was made that way in 92 due to federal standards that said new cars had to have 3 point rear seat belts. Other wise, I would feel very safe under the factory CJ bar during a normal roll.

1975 CJ-6 304 T15 Dana20 30/44 3.73
1983 CJ-8 258 T5 300 30/44 3.31 Looking for full or half hardtop buy or trade
1986 CJ-7 Laredo 4.6 stroker T5 300 30/44 3.31
1986 TJ-7 Trail Jeep project in the works
2003 Inca Gold TJ Rubicon

Last edited by only in a jeep cj; 10-18-2003 at 11:24 PM..
only in a jeep cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2003, 06:46 AM   #4
johny1i

I agree with OnlyInAJeep--I've read the same things ever since they came out with the revised rollbar (arched up for seatbelts, not for any additional protection). And yes, from an engineering standpoint, I would certainly put my money on the triangle rule--I work around truss systems every day in my line of work and it's unbelievable how much stress a triangle can handle in general before it collapses.

Just my two cents--I hope I never have to find out
Currently an '86 CJ-7 and a '77 CJ-7 Golden Eagle---#4 and 5 following a '01 Sahara, '90 Sahara, and '85 CJ-7....
johny1i is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2003, 11:27 AM   #5
bstruckm

I have a YJ rollbar that I want to sell just south of Baltimore. Came out of a 95 Wranger, and is teal in color. It is in mint condition.

Email me at Bstruckm@bellatlantic.net if interested. Looking to get about $200 for it.
bstruckm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2003, 02:36 PM   #6
twmattox

Two points to start the discussion on triangle vs. square.

One, the triangle area (where the rear bar intersects the roll bar) is at or below the top of the front seat. I will agree that the triangle area won't bend as easily as a square, however, the area above the triangle is not supported and is more "flexible" than the rest.

Second, the weight distribution and "triangle" theory only works on a side roll. What about when you are climbing a hill and flip? The rear passengers would definately be in jeopardy. The area between the rear tailgate and roll bar would definately crush any passengers.

Best would be to use the stock CJ bar and add on rear supports, front supports, center front, center rear, horizontal supprots, etc. But this would basically turn it into a permanant hardtop...
twmattox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-24-2003, 09:35 AM   #7
kurdt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJay7
I am thinking about a custom rollbar for added backseat protection. I am doing some body work and will have the old one out so I was thinking about either a custom or later YJ rollbar for added protection for rear passengers but I am having trouble finding anyone in my area that can make one. Does anyone know of a mail order or possibly somewhere in the Virginia Beach area that may do this kind of work? How strong would a YJ rollbar hold up in the event of a roll over if I were to go that route? I love the classic CJ look but I am concerned about having kids in the back (someday) without more rear support. If anyone can help or has some ideas I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks.

more than anything, if you want all around security you need to tie the cage into the frame. a triangle is structurally preferable to a square, and there is no reason to toss your old cj cage when it will work fine. i'd find a fab shop, and have a rear section bent up and have a front hoop with two straight and two angled spreader bars connected to the original cj cage.

ie:
viewing from top

|\ /| < front hoop 2 straight 2 angled, woohoo another triangle!
----- < stock cj main bar
\|_|/ < rear section

you can see the basic idea in this link, from the rear.
http://www.spydercustoms.com/buggies/Imga0044.jpg
just an angled hoop bend, two angle notched tubes going down and two connecting it to the stock cj cage. plus it looks almost as trick as having a full cage bent up. if you go the full cage route, i'd have the seats bolted to the cage via tubing running along the floor and tie in the seatbelts, etc. not only is that safer, but it structurally rigidifies your jeep's body. my tubing follows the body lines in the tub and frame/cage/coilover mounts/rocker panels/bumpers and skidplate are all tied in together.

you can either order a prebent front hoop or have the aforementioned fab shop do it all, which is your best bet. i don't know of anyone who sells a trick looking rear cage. i know 4wd hardware - www.4wd.com i think, they sell a smittybuilt front cage hoop and you can purchase extra pre-notched and bent spreader bars. they also sell 6 point tie into frame kits, which if you can't find a fab shop, you could make do with something like that and use a wrangler rear. probably would still want to put gussets in all the corners of the wrangler cage and maybe even a cross, as the wrangler cage really is not the most impressively safe design.

one other option i can think of for the moderate wheeler who doesn't go try and kill himself like i do, a bolt together kit.
http://rockhard4x4parts.com/
they sell a kit for CJs and even a frame tie in kit. for your needs this might be perfect.

if you do use a fab shop, make sure all the points connecting to the sheet metal are attached through the sheetmetal via a rub rail bracket and then welded/bolted to the frame. the best triangular design in the world won't do you any good if the cage punches through the sheetmetal, which is a serious concern when you talk about a full front/back flip. a simple layover isn't going to be much of a concern, however accidents happen and it's better to have a full cage protecting everyone.

one place you might look if you're having trouble finding a shop to do this... muffler places. they have all the tube bending equipment, you might have to supply some 1 3/4 .134 wall or 1 1/2 .120 DOM tubing, but it would probably be pretty reasonable.

take it easy,
kurdt
81 CJ-7 rock buggy, injected 350, built th350, 3.8 atlas II w/ ebrake, d60 front 1.5 stubs w/ detroit, 4.88 gears, discs, d70 rear w/ detroit, 4.88 gears, discs, 37" krawlers, 17" trailready beadlocks, 16" king coilovers, 4 link f/r, 12+ point cage, howe full hydraulic steering, fabbed by owner :D
kurdt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.