CJ ROLL CALL!!!!! Lets see them all! - Page 429 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ ROLL CALL!!!!! Lets see them all!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 02-02-2013, 11:00 PM   #6421
WSS
1972 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnatron View Post
Howdy and thank you for this great resource. My Dear Husband and I are currently grounding all of the electrical components on my CJ5 per the great advice here from JeepHammer. I've loved this Jeep most of my life. My dad bought it in 83 from the first owner and I just bought it from him a few weeks ago. It had 70,000 miles on it when Dad bought it 30 years ago. He put 5,000 ranch miles on it. It's been a challenge doing what I call the Ranch-to-Street conversion. Little things, like the key being in it for 30 years, the release lever is a pain; turn signals and brake light switches had to be replaced (who you going to signal to on a deer lease?).

But we had been having a lot of problems with the electrical system. We have diagnosed it to the negative side, and did see improvements on the meter simply from removing the Rhino liner from the firewall to the terminal ring on the ground wire. Yeah, Dad painted the whole thing, inside and out, in Rhino/Dura type liner. He obviously wasn't thinking about the electrical connections when he painted the firewall with it. We've ground all of that down to bare metal and already seen an improvement on the negative side load.

By tomorrow we will have added 3 more dedicated grounds and I hope I'm right that this will fix our problems. Other than this grounding issue the thing is in remarkably great shape. Did I mention it's a 1977 and only has 75,000 miles on it?

About 3 years ago Dad stripped it down to the bare frame and completely restored it. He replaced every nut, bolt and washer with stainless. It has lots of custom mods he fabricated in his own shop for hunting including an aluminum hoist that fits into the front receiver for field dressing deer. There is a high seat that mounts to a custom rear rack for bow hunting, which had a corn feeder that was mounted to the underneath of that. We left the feeder on his ranch and have the bow stand and rear rack stored, it won't fit in the garage with everything that goes on it. We also have everything for a winch except for the winch itself, all the wiring is there but disconnected and Dad gave me a whole box full of parts including the brass "plug" as he calls it for the winch, extra belts, a few dozen sets of stainless nuts, bolts, washers, lock washers, and so on. I've been happy that every time we need a nut, bolt, or washer all I have to do is dig through Dad's box and there it is. Also that my Dad is the type of guy who will use a 4x4 when a dowel rod would have been sturdy enough ... you should see the hardware under the seats where he moved them back and permanently mounted them as far as they will go (he's 6'4" and it's a CJ5 ... ) ... can't wait to take it out and try to break something!

Thanks again for all the great resources here.

Anyway it's a bit of work at the moment, but I'm happy to join the Jeep community. I appreciate all the waves out there on the roads! Just pray that we get back out there to wave back this weekend!

Cool CJ! Looks like it will be fun. Electrical can be hair pulling on these guys. I recently dropped my tank and re-wired the entire rear and found it would pop a 30 amp fuse when the brakes were pushed, when the right turn signal was turned on (it was the left that was trouble before?) and on the second click of the hazards. Had to be at the back on the stuff I "fixed" right? 6hrs later, I tracked it to a new short in the turn signal mechanism. Fun!

Enjoy the treasure!
WSS

WSS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:54 AM   #6422
dawnatron
1977 CJ5 

Thanks WSS! Well the Husband wouldn't believe it until I proved it, but the whole problem turned out to be faulty wiring on the windshield wiper motor. Unplugged it from the circuit at the switch and SHAZAM the wire going into the voltage regulator had current through it. This forum and links to a great wiring diagram were life savers so thanks again to all of you! I did take the .opportunity this morning to give my dad a little grief about all the rhino liner in between the metal components that hook to the body and the body itself. The dedicated grounds did not ultimately fix the alternator charging problem BUT it did reduce the resistance on the negative side of the system from .4 to ZERO and I'm very happy about the upgrade. Some pics below.
electrical3.jpg   electrical4.jpg   electrical1.jpg   electrical2.jpg   electrical6.jpg  

jeep.jpg  
dawnatron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #6423
dawnatron
1977 CJ5 

Oh if anyone is planning to undertake work putting a ground from the starter to the block, be careful with the line that goes to the oil pressure gauge! We broke and had to repair that in the process. I am going to find and install something other than that cheapy brittle plastic line.
dawnatron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #6424
ZombieCrush1
1981 CJ5 

New to the forum, long time jeeper

I just got this beast back on the road.
jeep-001.jpg  
ZombieCrush1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #6425
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieCrush1
I just got this beast back on the road.
Awesome.

sent from the bottom of an empty money pit
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #6426
robrich
1985 CJ7 

robrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #6427
robrich
1985 CJ7 

robrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:30 PM   #6428
knotslippin
1980 CJ5 

Newbie here

Well Finally picked up my first Jeep. Always been a Toyota guy. Joined here to pick some brains and learn about Jeeps.

I traded an Airboat for this Jeep. It's a 1980 CJ5 V8 304
Needs some rust repair and floor boards replaced. But it is only going to be for the mud...

I am in the Loxahatchee area, so if anyone is hitting Corbett let me know. I would like to check it out with someone thats been there. Looking forward to learning..here she is

Thanks in advance for any info
Guy
knotslippin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 08:07 PM   #6429
74Maverick
1977 CJ5 

Well The CJ5 is my new v8 baby, the garnet cj7 is my currently sidelined 4 banger and the ugly one flexin is my long lost nasty old 79 CJ7
100_0019.jpg   100_0022-2-.jpg   100_0020.jpg   100_0015.jpg   100_0049.jpg  

Unread 02-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #6430
rylstr95
1968 CJ5 

My 68 cj5
jeep.jpg   jeep-pic.jpg  
rylstr95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #6431
ochaunceyj

New guy here...looking forward to learning a lot from this forum. Here's my 1981 CJ7
2011cj-7dsc_0224.jpg   2011cj-7dsc_0217.jpg   image.jpg   image-3.jpg  
ochaunceyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #6432
19in1979
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rylstr95 View Post
My 68 cj5
Love it!

BTW, I see the install truck parked there next to you. Are you in the security/fire/CCTV industry? If so, you probably know of ADI. I was with them for 25 years and before I became medically retired, I was the Sales Manager for the Rocky Mountain Region which oddly enough meant managing everything from Minneapolis on the east, to Boise on the west. So glad to be gone now that Honeywell owns them.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Wayne [/FONT]

[B]Living the dream at 8,500ft. elevation in beautiful Coal Creek Canyon, Colorado. [/B]
19in1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #6433
cbel

Hey im also new here is my baby getting ready to do a SOA
image-1719433292.jpg   image-1451997520.jpg  
cbel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #6434
firefghtr86
1972 CJ5 

I am new to this forum.. as well as new to jeeping.. but I am in love I must say! My husband got me this beautiful old "heep" as we call it.. and we are in the process of restoring/rebuilding it "one piece at a time" (Johnny Cash) I am learning that patience pays off. We were fortunate enough to have full doors/hard top and half soft doors. The only modifications that I am aware of is a added radio and speakers, not the correct wheels, winch on front and missing rear tire rack. I would like to make it back as original as possible... The 304 is a nice motor, I have heard reviews both ways.. and as much as a 350 sounds great in it.. I am going to stay stock.. with this one anyway. They dont make things like they used to. If anyone has info on this year/make please let me know. I am told it is the super jeep (according to jeep documents) I would like to find orignal stlye wheels, new stickers, and possibly a full soft top.
photo-12.jpg   photo-2.jpg  
firefghtr86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #6435
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefghtr86
I am new to this forum.. as well as new to jeeping.. but I am in love I must say! My husband got me this beautiful old "heep" as we call it.. and we are in the process of restoring/rebuilding it "one piece at a time" (Johnny Cash) I am learning that patience pays off. We were fortunate enough to have full doors/hard top and half soft doors. The only modifications that I am aware of is a added radio and speakers, not the correct wheels, winch on front and missing rear tire rack. I would like to make it back as original as possible... The 304 is a nice motor, I have heard reviews both ways.. and as much as a 350 sounds great in it.. I am going to stay stock.. with this one anyway. They dont make things like they used to. If anyone has info on this year/make please let me know. I am told it is the super jeep (according to jeep documents) I would like to find orignal stlye wheels, new stickers, and possibly a full soft top.
Look on the firewall right around the brake master cylinder and there will be an identification number. Then google jeep identification and find it.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.