CJ rear AMC 20 disc brakes - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ rear AMC 20 disc brakes

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #16
SWAcapt
1979 CJ7 

I did the swap and love it! '84 Nissan 300zx calipers and hoses, '96 Geo Tracker 2-door front rotors, 3/8" steel plate that I used to fabricate the caliper brackets. The below links were very helpful. Check my gallery to see how my project turned out.

http://jeep-forums.4wd.com/showthread.php?t=28606

http://www.abeenterprises.com/files/...ke-Bracket.pdf

1979 CJ-7, 'built 401', 4-wheel discs, Rhino-lined, 2.5 lift, Original Owner!

Last edited by SWAcapt; 12-10-2008 at 06:48 PM..
SWAcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #17
petey156
1977 CJ5 

do those brakes bolt on or weld on??
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #18
DaveFL

Bringing this up out of the past as my new project has me leaning towrads this as well.

I have an AMC 20 housing that is going into a 70 Jeepster Commando. This is a blank housing, I do not have backing plates. I running into a Friggin night mare trying to find a set of backing plates in order to do this.

What I understand is you must have the backing plates since the hold in the bearsings and seals?

Im swapping in G2 Alloy Axles 4:56 gears and trussing the Wide Track 20, then Its going back to a SOA installation.

If anyone knows of a place to get cheap backingplates, or something else that would work let me know. I first thought I could just make my own with metal, but it appears the AMC 20 Backing plates dimple in to keep pressure on the bearings etc?

Only backing plates I have found so far where 100$ each, which is insane I for me just going to cut them up. Worse case, I will go back to Drums, since I found the Jeep guy has a full set of drum replacemtns that include backing plates for $350, but what sucks about that is for $300 more I could order the SSBC kit.

Dave
Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
If anyone knows of a place to get cheap backingplates, or something else that would work let me know. I first thought I could just make my own with metal, but it appears the AMC 20 Backing plates dimple in to keep pressure on the bearings etc?

Only backing plates I have found so far where 100$ each, which is insane I for me just going to cut them up. Worse case, I will go back to Drums, since I found the Jeep guy has a full set of drum replacemtns that include backing plates for $350, but what sucks about that is for $300 more I could order the SSBC kit.
e
They are just flat 1/8" steel, after you hack up the backing plate. Copy the pattern of the outer seal.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
DaveFL

So the area over the axle tubes where the backing plates would go is flat?

In all the pics I have seen it apppears to flange into the axle to hold the bearings in place.

But if its flat then this is a piece of cake, anyone have pics to verify this? Don't want to set this up and have problems down the road.

As it is I hate putting money into an AMC 20 but I got to much cash in the rest of the Jeepster. and SOL on finding a rare Dana 44 from late model CJ, Scout width is to long for my app.
Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here are a few angles of mine. Its the black disk with one flat side.

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Last edited by Totallymetal; 01-20-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #22
DaveFL

So in essence all I really need is a blank piece of 1/8 steel, and maybe a backing plate from someone I know to mark where the holes are located.

Thanks, this gives me a better clue, I can always mark hole points with the brackets but would be nice if I could have a backing plate that I could mark hole points with then cut from there.

Might be asking a freiend if I can dismantle his 20 for a pattern.
Unread 01-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wish I took measurements of the center hole. That could have been helpful. The outer seal plate gives you everything else you need.

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Unread 04-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #24
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Does anyone have any good info on hooking the E brake up if you use the zx callipers? I have read some say they hooked right up others say they needed to do modification I would really love to have more clarification on that.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.