CJ rear AMC 20 disc brakes - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ rear AMC 20 disc brakes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-10-2008, 06:01 PM   #16
SWAcapt
1979 CJ7 

I did the swap and love it! '84 Nissan 300zx calipers and hoses, '96 Geo Tracker 2-door front rotors, 3/8" steel plate that I used to fabricate the caliper brackets. The below links were very helpful. Check my gallery to see how my project turned out.

http://jeep-forums.4wd.com/showthread.php?t=28606

http://www.abeenterprises.com/files/...ke-Bracket.pdf

1979 CJ-7, 'built 401', 4-wheel discs, Rhino-lined, 2.5 lift, Original Owner!

Last edited by SWAcapt; 12-10-2008 at 06:48 PM..
SWAcapt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #17
petey156
1977 CJ5 

do those brakes bolt on or weld on??
petey156 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:12 AM   #18
DaveFL

Bringing this up out of the past as my new project has me leaning towrads this as well.

I have an AMC 20 housing that is going into a 70 Jeepster Commando. This is a blank housing, I do not have backing plates. I running into a Friggin night mare trying to find a set of backing plates in order to do this.

What I understand is you must have the backing plates since the hold in the bearsings and seals?

Im swapping in G2 Alloy Axles 4:56 gears and trussing the Wide Track 20, then Its going back to a SOA installation.

If anyone knows of a place to get cheap backingplates, or something else that would work let me know. I first thought I could just make my own with metal, but it appears the AMC 20 Backing plates dimple in to keep pressure on the bearings etc?

Only backing plates I have found so far where 100$ each, which is insane I for me just going to cut them up. Worse case, I will go back to Drums, since I found the Jeep guy has a full set of drum replacemtns that include backing plates for $350, but what sucks about that is for $300 more I could order the SSBC kit.

Dave
Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
If anyone knows of a place to get cheap backingplates, or something else that would work let me know. I first thought I could just make my own with metal, but it appears the AMC 20 Backing plates dimple in to keep pressure on the bearings etc?

Only backing plates I have found so far where 100$ each, which is insane I for me just going to cut them up. Worse case, I will go back to Drums, since I found the Jeep guy has a full set of drum replacemtns that include backing plates for $350, but what sucks about that is for $300 more I could order the SSBC kit.
e
They are just flat 1/8" steel, after you hack up the backing plate. Copy the pattern of the outer seal.

2007 JK Rubicon
5.5 Rock Krawler X-factor lift w/37 x 12.5 x 17 BFG KM2s, 5.13 Superior gears
Warn Powerplant HD

Totallymetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #20
DaveFL

So the area over the axle tubes where the backing plates would go is flat?

In all the pics I have seen it apppears to flange into the axle to hold the bearings in place.

But if its flat then this is a piece of cake, anyone have pics to verify this? Don't want to set this up and have problems down the road.

As it is I hate putting money into an AMC 20 but I got to much cash in the rest of the Jeepster. and SOL on finding a rare Dana 44 from late model CJ, Scout width is to long for my app.
Nth 6"LA lift, TT, Stinger/Slider Combo, Superwinch EPI9000, Durango Front & Rear, ORF Tire Carrier, Independent Locker Mod, 15x8 Crager Locks, 35" MT MTZ,Rock Hard Parts trail Cage, AEM Dry Flow, Viking Fastback Top.
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:57 PM   #21
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here are a few angles of mine. Its the black disk with one flat side.

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Last edited by Totallymetal; 01-20-2010 at 06:49 PM..
Unread 01-21-2010, 06:34 AM   #22
DaveFL

So in essence all I really need is a blank piece of 1/8 steel, and maybe a backing plate from someone I know to mark where the holes are located.

Thanks, this gives me a better clue, I can always mark hole points with the brackets but would be nice if I could have a backing plate that I could mark hole points with then cut from there.

Might be asking a freiend if I can dismantle his 20 for a pattern.
Unread 01-21-2010, 03:09 PM   #23
Totallymetal
2007 JK Wrangler 

Wish I took measurements of the center hole. That could have been helpful. The outer seal plate gives you everything else you need.

2007 JK Rubicon
Warn Powerplant HD

Unread 04-03-2011, 12:28 AM   #24
ThisGuyUKnow
1985 CJ7 

Does anyone have any good info on hooking the E brake up if you use the zx callipers? I have read some say they hooked right up others say they needed to do modification I would really love to have more clarification on that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.