So I just did the boneyard hydroboost. Purchased a Mustang Hydroboost/master cylinder. It seems to be 2000 but could be 1996-????. Then I took the half hoses that came with it (severed by sharp knife) and my existing CJ hoses and got them lengthened and joined. Then I had some hard lines made from 4ft standard brake lines. Then I took everything that was old and existing off and added everything new back in it's place.
Pointers: Use a vice to remove the existing metal firewall plate from the hydroboost. The nut is a weird shape, almost square, and I had to angle grind the old mustang firewall plate to get to it. Either way, it comes off.... you will need to remove a big circlip to remove the nut fully.
Then....make sure your adapter (mikes?) plate and hydroboost line up fully - i.e. it is a central plate, not offset.
Attach the new 'stuff' to the firewall. Feel good, open a cold one!
Now (my) hardest part - removing the hard lines from the proportioning valve; tip I got from VANCO (thankyou so much
) try to tighten the hard lines with a 4-5" (non vice-hrip) wrench. THEN try to loosen. It finally worked but nearly killed me!
If you are making your own/having yourt own hard lines made....just take a small dremel / hack saw and sever the ahrd line no more than an inch above the nut. ... REMOVE the nut with a long socket.
Bend NEW hard lines to fit the space available. attach at both ends, bleed and be done.
I can now stop - no word of a lie - within seconds of applying the pedal. BEFORE this, I had NO power brakes and had to predict traffic a week ahead of time.
For $300 +/- it was an awesome most noticeable upgrade I have attempted and succeeded!
Get the parts.... dive in.... don't look back.