CJ power brake upgrade - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ power brake upgrade

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 04-28-2008, 03:21 AM   #16
GPER
1979 CJ7 

I like the YJ brake up grade, mine don't bottom out and are as touchy as any other power brakes. They are a big improvement over the manual brake.

GPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #17
BLEEDNJEEP
1985 CJ7 

jeep cj brake cylinder upgrade

I was watching Trucks! the other day and they were working on an old Int'l Scout. He suggested taking 1 ton brake cylinders from a Dodge and replacing the OEM ones for better stopping power. Has anyone tried putting better cylinders in the rear for the drums?
BLEEDNJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #18
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

only 95 and newer YJ's are dual diaphram right? (95 thru ????)
how can you tell the difference btween a single and dual by looking at it?
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
only 95 and newer YJ's are dual diaphram right? (95 thru ????)
how can you tell the difference btween a single and dual by looking at it?

Only 95 YJ's with the 6 cylinder motor have the dual diaphragm brake booster. You will know a dual diaphragm booster by looking at it. The easy way to tell is the 95 master cylinder will have a plastic resivoir. The single diaphragm brake booster master cylinder has a metal resivoir. If you buy a dual diaphragm brake booster from a 95 YJ make sure to get the master cylinder and brake lines from the master cylinder to the proportioning valve with it because they are metric thread and the lines have a bubble flare. They are not easy to find.

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
1994 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
1992 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd

Last edited by CjinPA; 10-01-2009 at 05:06 PM..
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #20
twoleos617
1986 CJ7 

PERFECT! thx!
twoleos617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-05-2009, 12:34 AM   #21
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEEDNJEEP View Post
I was watching Trucks! the other day and they were working on an old Int'l Scout. He suggested taking 1 ton brake cylinders from a Dodge and replacing the OEM ones for better stopping power. Has anyone tried putting better cylinders in the rear for the drums?
I have. Also swapped master cyls with slightly smaller bores for more power on manual brake rigs.
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #22
Mudviper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Is there a significance difference between a brake booster in a 95 YJ with a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl.? When looking up the parts at Auto zone they are both duel diaphragm boosters but with different part numbers. I have lots of salvage yards around me with 4 cyl models but not 6 cyl models
Mudviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 02:46 PM   #23
crazyeye
1979 CJ7 

http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/yjbrakes.asp

this site hasnt worked for over 2wks now
crazyeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #24
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudviper View Post
Is there a significance difference between a brake booster in a 95 YJ with a 4 cyl and a 6 cyl.? When looking up the parts at Auto zone they are both duel diaphragm boosters but with different part numbers. I have lots of salvage yards around me with 4 cyl models but not 6 cyl models
The 4 cylinder 95 YJ's have single diaphragm boosters and master cylinders with all metal resivoirs. Basically they are the same as all other 87 to 94 YJ brake systems.
The 6 cylinder 95 YJ's have dual diaphragm brake boosters and the master cylinders have plastic resivoirs. They provinde significantly more braking power. They are basically a TJ brake set up designed to work in a YJ.

-

1994 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
1992 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
Unread 12-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #25
Mudviper
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjinPA View Post
The 4 cylinder 95 YJ's have single diaphragm boosters and master cylinders with all metal resivoirs. Basically they are the same as all other 87 to 94 YJ brake systems.
The 6 cylinder 95 YJ's have dual diaphragm brake boosters and the master cylinders have plastic resivoirs. They provinde significantly more braking power. They are basically a TJ brake set up designed to work in a YJ.

-
I guess what is a bit confusing is that when I pulled up the power booster for a 95 4cyls at Auto Zone it says it is a duel diaphragm not a single diaphragm, but all prior ones for the 4 cyl are single
Mudviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 11:06 PM   #26
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

They may have done that at the Zone so that they only have to carry one part. Figure the better one works on either, so why stock the weaker one...

1978 CJ5 258/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass tub windshield frame, and fenders, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ri...8-cj5-1223197/
Cutlass327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 05:54 AM   #27
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Autozone is not always correct in their parts listings. I found this out the hard way one evening when my alternator died in my F250. With the help of a friend I managed to get the truck to an autozone and they gave me the wrong alternator. The Autozone guy insisted it was the correct part. The mounts on it were correct but the electrical plugs were different. Unfortunately it was not until after they closed that I realised it was the wrong part and I was stuck in Elmira, Ny for the night. When they opened up the next morning I took the factory alternator to the counter with me to compare it to alternators listed for other year F250's. I ended buy an alternator that was listed for a different year ford truck.

The 95 YJ dual diaphragm brake booster will not work with the 87 to 94 YJ and 95 4 cyl YJ master cylinders. You have to use the 95 YJ (6 cyl specific) master cylinder with the dual diaphragm brake booster.

-

1994 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
1992 Jeep YJ 4cyl 5spd
Unread 12-14-2009, 06:52 AM   #28
mcurcio1989
1976 CJ7 

This is the place to save money. Buy a the cheapest yj mc and booster you can find. I found one for $30. If your worried get the re manufactured mc from autozone or something. That's 50 dollars. Whats the worst thing that can happen the booster might go out? That will make it exactly like you were before the upgrade its gonna be a pain but not unsafe. I doubt that's gonna happen tho. This was designed as a safety feature on the yj and everyone driving a 20 year old yj with an original mc and booster aren't worried that there unsafe because they don't have a brand spanking new booster and mc.

For the record i have unplugged my vac line from the booster and plugged it with a screw and i can still easily stop. Just requires more work from my leg.

See what i am saying??

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=yj+...ster&_osacat=0

I have a dana 30 front axle and amc 20 rear if anyone is looking. Both are 3.54, drums, narrowtrack.
mcurcio1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #29
jatepper
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjinPA View Post
The dual diaphragm booster from a 95 YJ is even better. Be aware though that with the 258 motor you will have clearance issues with your air cleaner and the dual diaphragm booster.
Couldnt agree more. A lot of people swear by the Vanco brakes and I am sure they offer an excellent system. On my old CJ, I too bought the YJ booster (dual diaphram off a 95) and had no air cleaner clearance issues whatsoever. I did however have an aftermarket 8" diameter air cleaner and it provided me with a couple of inches of clearance between the air cleaner and the booster.

Another benefit of the 95 dual booster is that the fittings are on the driver side when mounted, meaning you do not have to bend/tweak your brake lines to the opposite side if you use an earlier model booster. The stress caused by bending the lines is not such a good idea, but if done carefully should be no big deal.

I remember when I did the upgrade and test drove the jeep around the neighborhood..... the first tap of the brakes almost sent me through the windshield
Automatic-258 I6- Detroit lockers front/rear - Superior 1-piece axles, Ramsey Pro 9000 Winch, Quick Disconnects, 33 BFG AT's, 4.10 gears, Howell TBI, DUI HEI Ignition, Ground Pounder Rear Bumper / Tire Carrier Combo, Handen Fab integrated winch plate front bumper w/hoop, ORF weld-in front sport cage.

USMC 1999-2004 Semper Fi!

Hood Hi-Lift Jack Mounts for CJ/YJ/TJ/JK

Torchmate CNC Plasma Table Build / Projects

The Target Man, LLC - AR500 Shooting Targets
jatepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2009, 04:01 PM   #30
crazyeye
1979 CJ7 

i just did the same i had no issues putting the 95 yj set up on mine at all and my 85cj stops even better now. the only thing you have to do is change the brake lines ends to fit the 95 master cylinder cause they are metric advance auto has the fittings.
crazyeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.