CJ power brake upgrade - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ power brake upgrade

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 04-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #1
valkster
1983 CJ8 

CJ power brake upgrade

Hello, all. I have been looking around for an economical way to upgrade the manual brakes to power brakes on my Scrambler. Information about the '95 YJ upgrade is easily found on the web (some are very $$ for me). From what I have pieced together, the '95 YJ upgrade is desirable because of the dual-diaphragm setup. Am I correct, then, in assuming that all OEM power brake options for the CJ were single-diaphragm? If not, why do most upgrades use the YJ setup? Also, are there any new "shoe-string-bugdet" suggestions for this upgrade? Junk yards are an option but even the YJ upgrade involves finding a parts car that is over 20 years old.

Thanks,
Valkster

valkster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 05:16 AM   #2
HackFabrication
1976 CJ5 

Vanco.

He also offers vacuum brake kits.

Spend the money. It's your brakes... They are the only thing (other than that big oak tree), that are going to prevent you from plowing into that school bus full of kids.

Last edited by HackFabrication; 04-26-2008 at 05:26 AM..
HackFabrication is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 06:34 AM   #3
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Look at this

http://www.bustedjeep.com/projects/yjbrakes.asp
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 03:21 PM   #4
NewdRiver_
1985 CJ7 

This is not the place to save money.

I'm working on a hydroboost system at the moment using a unit from a 2002 Mustang GT. I decided on this over vacuum because I can't spell diaphragm without a spellchecker

This is the same type of system the Vanco is, just done a lot cheaper with the same results. According to coas, this gives more braking power than the dual diaphragm for about the same cost (better be right buddy ). So far I'm in about $130 for the hydrobooster and $40 for the firewall bracket. I still need new lines to tap into the power steering, but it should end up $200ish total. It's an option. But if you're going to go vacuum power brakes you might as well do the dual diaphragm because it will probably cost the same. And it wont be 20 years old, only 13 (remember only the '95 6 cylinders had the dual diaphragm).

Check this out also: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/power-brake-upgrade-470195/

Last edited by NewdRiver_; 04-26-2008 at 06:22 PM..
NewdRiver_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #5
John N
1981 CJ8 

If you're running 35" or smaller tires, a duel diaphram system from Vanco or Off Again's Navaho will do great for you. They come complete and are a bolt-in. They about $425 +/-, but are new stuff that will hold up well and last.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 07:17 PM   #6
drunkenrich
1980 CJ7 

i got a set up out of a yj off ebay for $60 bucks. i run 35's, best upgrade i did besides sterring box. do it!
drunkenrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

The YJ single diaphragm booster is a good upgrade from CJ power or manual brakes. It is an upgrade because the CJ powerbrake system uses an arm from the brake pedal to the bracket for the booster, then another arm on the bracket pushed on the booster. On a YJ the arm from the brake pedal goes direct into the booster providing more direct force and better braking. The dual diaphragm booster from a 95 YJ is even better. Be aware though that with the 258 motor you will have clearance issues with your air cleaner and the dual diaphragm booster. I run 37" tires and have a dual diaphragm booster and MC from a 95 YJ. My CJ stops like a modern vehicle. I can lock the 37's up on the road if need be. If you have the money the hydro boost system that Vanco brakes sells is the way to go. One ton pickups have hydro assist brakes. If its good enough to stop a one ton series truck it will stop a Jeep with no problem.

-

Jeeps that I am currently parting out;
199 Jeep TJ 4cyl 5spd
1988 Jeep YJ 6cyl 5spd
1984 Jeep CJ7 6cyl 4spd
CjinPA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 09:22 PM   #8
GPER
1979 CJ7 

http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum...opic.php?t=801
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2008, 11:12 PM   #9
valkster
1983 CJ8 

cj power brake upgrade

Thanks for all the replies. Here's what I have. I am running 31" tires on "Bessie" and she does have the 258 inline-6 (with auto tranny). I do not have power steering. Any suggestions for an upgrade at this point? How difficult is a power steering upgrade? Also, does the clearance issue with the 258 mean a dual-diaphragm setup won't fit OR that it is just a tight fit? I have not altered my CJ-8 that much since I got her 9 years ago so would an upgrade to the OEM type booster show enough improvement to justify the cost? What I mean is that I do not want to stray too far from stock if I can help it...I have gone so far as to rebuilding my old Carter Carb and rebuilding the air-pipe smog system to keep it more-or-less original (she runs great with it by the way). Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,
Mark
valkster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2008, 06:17 AM   #10
GPER
1979 CJ7 

Find a YJ that someone is parting out and get the power brakes off of it and the power steering. I did the power brakes off of a 90 YJ and am working on the power steering on mine. This is as far as I have gotten so far.
http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum...opic.php?t=561
GPER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #11
OldSailor
1977 CJ7 

I converted by 1977 CJ7 manual brakes to power brakes using the VANCO vacuum power brake koit. They make the brackets nd rod, and hook up a Corvette master cylinder to a 1/2-ton Chevy booster. It's been great - really stops my 35" tires, even with the OEM drums and discs.
1977 CJ7, AMC360 V8 w/ headers, DUI HEI, Edelbrock intake, Holley 4150 carb, , TF999, D300, D30 front and AMC20 rear with 4.56 gears and lockers both ends, 4" susp lift, 2.5" body lift, 35" BFGs, ARG steering, 8000-lb winch, etc.
OldSailor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

I have manual brakes on my CJ with 36" TSL's. Oddly enough, I don't have any problems stopping at all.

I have a stock CJ power brake set up. I'm thinking about throwing it in "just because".. More is always better, right?

Could you place the braking power of the following set ups in this order from worst to best?

1. Stock CJ manual brakes
2. Stock CJ power brakes
3. Stock YJ single booster brakes
4. Stock YJ dual booster brakes
5. Hydro

Would that be very accurate? Are there HUGE differences between each one? Should I just toss in the CJ power set up or would a YJ power set up be that much better?

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
CJHVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #13
John N
1981 CJ8 

For anyone contemplating this decision, call Van at Vanco. He invites these calls and has a toll free number. He can quote brake pressures on each type of system, stock non-power on up. He doesn't mind doing this, even if you aren't buying. He knows that he's building good will and you'll be back to buy eventually.

FYI, I don't have anything to do with him or his business and have never bought from him, but he is a good guy to work with.
John N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #14
CJHVN
1985 CJ7 

Is there a noticeable difference between CJ manual brakes and power brakes?

Maybe I'll just go that route since it's a no-brainer, doesn't cost me anything out of pocket, and I don't have to modify anything.

92 XJ, 4.0L, AW4, Dropped NP231, 30/8.25, 4" DPG Hybrid lift, 33" MT/R's, JKS trackbar, JKS discos, OME Nitro Shocks, stinger bumper, Warn X8000i, etc. (work in progress)
CJHVN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
jeepmor

Quote:
They are the only thing (other than that big oak tree), that are going to prevent you from plowing into that school bus full of kids.
I disagree, brakes are second only to steering. That oak tree is not a problem if you steer away from it.

I am unimpressed with my YJ upgrade. They are way too sensitive and bottom out before you're done. Maybe I got some flaky parts, not sure, however, the system is sound with no leaks or otherwise. They just suck is all. They were an e-bay purchase. I used a larger diameter m/c from Vanco it works. It's a vette part of some sort. However, my YJ cylinder and bracket is the weak link here. I remember my buddy's YJ having crappy brakes, this seems to live up to that comparison. Talk about squishy, soft and lousy....get the YJ brakes.

YMMV, hopefully it's better than mine. That said, my brakes do work, I just do not like them because they are too sensitive and bottom out bad on a panic stop.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.