CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-02-2011, 01:09 AM   #91
apfroggy0408
1982 CJ7 

Just got into shooting and hunting within the last year and I'm addicted!! Have gone hog hunting but it was freezing and the hogs weren't moving when that cold front hit. ****ty first experience but what can you do but try again right?

Here are my tools.

Mathews SQ2

Remington 700 in .270

Ruger SR40

Yildiz O/U in 12 ga.

I got that Remington in mid March and it was my first purchase. Stuff is piling up quickly!

apfroggy0408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 01:14 AM   #92
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Guns are worse than Jeeps as it only needs a little corner of the gun cabinet to be clear for you to find a new one. As it is locked my wife will not find out about the Rogers and Spencer .44 I bought the other day but another CJ...........................
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #93
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
Guns are worse than Jeeps as it only needs a little corner of the gun cabinet to be clear for you to find a new one. As it is locked my wife will not find out about the Rogers and Spencer .44 I bought the other day but another CJ...........................
Put the wife in safe (to keep her from getting stolen of course) and then you can use the the rest of the house to store the guns and Jeep parts like I do
Unread 07-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #94
DT5150
1983 CJ7 

I'm a whitetail junkie. also do turkeys in the spring and a little pheasant in early fall. i don't usually take my jeep though, the exhaust is too loud.
Unread 07-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #95
JeepinYahoo
1977 CJ5 

I know it's my old TJ in the pic, but that isn't what I was wanting to show off in this one so pay no attention to it. I wish the CJ had been there for this hunt.

I grew up hunting all over AZ with my dad in our trusty Dodge Raider. I still do it sometimes today. I just think I have gotten to a point where I am not always looking to kill the animals I find. This Canada Goose a couple seasons ago was not so lucky however. Took him down with a 50 year old Remington 870 at about 75yds. with some Tungsten Iron shells. I had been trying for a Goose since I was 12 and got this bad boy over 10 years later. It's AZ, I took this bird on the eastern edge of the Mojave desert in the Big Sandy river so it goes without saying we don't have the same kind of duck hunting as other places, but then again we don't have the same scenery either. Cheers!

Unread 07-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #96
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

For me, hunting, shooting, fishing ARE Trail Riding!

Unless I want to wind up in the same state run hunting area there are 10,000 other hunters, you have to be able to get where they can't.

We take 'Nature Rides' all the time, down by the river where there aren't any roads,
Dip a line here and there, scout for tracks and trails for when the season comes around and generally make a day out of it.

Good to have a Jeep that will get me there and back,
And a woman that will clean/cook what we catch!

-----------------------

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys do with all those waist band pud shooters?
Not much you can hunt with one of those little belly guns, so they usually aren't any good but for bragging rights and shooting your foot off...

Kind of the adult version of 'Raphie's Red Ryder BB Gun'...
"You'll shoot your eye out kid!"
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 03:44 AM   #97
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinYahoo View Post
This Canada Goose a couple seasons ago was not so lucky however. Took him down with a 50 year old Remington 870 at about 75yds. with some Tungsten Iron shells.
It is not the age of the shotgun, it is where you point it that counts. If you turn up at an organised drive here with a merely 50 year old gun you are treated as very nouveau riche. The golden age of British guns was well before WW2 and plenty still get brought out on shoot day.

75 yards is a heck of a distance as well for a clean kill. Or did you have to chase it in the Jeep?
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:13 PM   #98
Jeffthern
1979 CJ5 

I hunt ducks with my Benelli SBE. Not the SBE2. Was a "Getting into nursing school" present from my dad. I use my grandpa's old Browning B-80 for doves- what he used to hunt. I'm the "sniper" of my squirrel hunting group with my little Ruger 10/22. Trying to get into deer. Have a Rem700 in 7mm mag for that. My other grandpa is bringing me on the family deer hunt in November for the first time. Kinda ticked off. I'm 29, and the only grandson that hasn't been yet. rant, rant. This is the first year with my CJ. Just finished putting in a gun rack. I have lots of stories with my old Rubi. Made alot of more expensive trucks look like crap with that thing.
Jeffthern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #99
1983 CJ7 

I would never imagine Canadian Geese making a layover in Arizona

I look forward to driving my Jeep to range, on hunting trips and possibly to the farm in the winter at least once.

It is so early in the year but I am already getting ready for hunting season. We probably will not make it to the farm for Christmas but I am taking the girls in September for the early season youth whitetail hunt. They are off to Houston for the weekend so I am headed to the range tomorrow for more load testing.
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:52 PM   #100
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffthern View Post
I hunt ducks with my Benelli SBE. Not the SBE2. Was a "Getting into nursing school" present from my dad. I use my grandpa's old Browning B-80 for doves- what he used to hunt. I'm the "sniper" of my squirrel hunting group with my little Ruger 10/22. Trying to get into deer. Have a Rem700 in 7mm mag for that. My other grandpa is bringing me on the family deer hunt in November for the first time. Kinda ticked off. I'm 29, and the only grandson that hasn't been yet. rant, rant. This is the first year with my CJ. Just finished putting in a gun rack. I have lots of stories with my old Rubi. Made alot of more expensive trucks look like crap with that thing.
Jeff the Browning B-80 was the thing to have back when it first came out. I wanted one at the time but already had what I wanted in shotguns so didn't buy it. Have fun with your deer hutning too.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #101
1983 CJ7 

Since David posted pic's of his new toy, I am bringing this back to the top for the new guys.
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #102
Frenimy
1981 CJ7 

This is a great thread I love to hunt. And I am very knew to owning a jeep. I am getting excited deer season is only a few weeks away so I will get to hunt and jeep at the same time this year.
Unread 09-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #103
Frenimy
1981 CJ7 

This is a great thread I love to hunt. And I am very new to owning a jeep. I am getting excited deer season is only a few weeks away so I will get to hunt and jeep at the same time this year. I have been shooting a lot of paper and ground squirels of corse but now its time to put some venison in the freezer and maybe a pig too.
Unread 09-23-2011, 05:46 AM   #104
1983 CJ7 

Ya'll ready????

The season is right around the corner
Unread 09-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #105
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I thought you guys might like these.

I shot the bull with my bow, last Monday, on public OTC land, on a do-it-yourself hunt.

Matt
2011bull3.jpg   2011bull2.jpg   2011bull.jpg  
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.