CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 12-19-2010, 05:40 PM   #61
sparkey
1983 CJ5 

Well I might as well. I have always had an old jeep growing up, 2As, 3As, etc to hunt and fish in, we lived in east Texas while at home as my dad worked in the oilfield and we hunted and fished back then most of the time. We lived near a creek that we fished out of, always had plenty of hogs in the woods, ducks in the creek and deer back then was hunted with dogs. I only had a model 62 winchester 22 and dads old double barrel, that I still have.
I continued my hunting after leaving home and really enjoyed it, collected a few guns along the way and still buy one when I get it on my mind that I would like to have a certain one.
I have not been hunting in many years now, had my own business and just seemed not to ever find the time, and since I retired I just kind of lost the interest.
What I really enjoyed was bird hunting when I was stationed at Ft. Reily Kansas, first time I had hunted phesants.
Now where we live in the subdivision is being over-run with deer, run them out of the yard day and night, usuall have a couple of good bucks around but only watch them now.
Yes guns and jeep definitely go together and I will have them until my time is up I suppose.

Unread 12-19-2010, 05:52 PM   #62
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

I usually hunt whitetail here in AL.
I use a Browning A-Bolt in .308 Winchester.

For Coyotes (which we have more than our share) I have a little Bushmaster in .223.

I'm currently putting together specs for an Armalite AR-10 in .308 to hunt with.

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #63
Jason790812
1981 CJ7 

My trial riding is getting to and from the deer stand. I use my CJ-7 like a 4 wheeler. So I usually bust hump during the summer trying to fix something so she is ready for deer season.

I bow hunt, with a Diamond Iceman that's rigged out with Spot Hogg Tommy Hogg, QAD drop away rest, Hellrazor 125 grain broadheads, nockturnal lighted nocks, and a bunch of other manly stuff. Then when primitive weapon season rolls in I pick up my H&R handi rifle in 45-70. It's pretty much like throwing a bowling ball at a deer, love it. Currently we are in regular rifle season and I'm carrying my .300 WSM Kimber Montana, that has been Birdsong Black-T coated and is topped with a Leupold VX-L. Currently shooting Winchester 180 grain ballastic tips, but trying to shoot up what's left of that box so I can move on to some Barnes TSX that I have. I missed a doe Saturday, trying to be Johnny Recon and make a head shot. Ohh well still got two in the freezer this year so far.

My wife has a Remington 700 in .270, she might go hunting with me once or twice a year and has never killed a deer. She is a good shot though.

Right before deer season starts, dove season kicks it all off. And I'm there with a Benelli M2 12 gauge. I love that thing, never jams and handles like a dream, if only I could hit those little diving and darting jokers better. I still do decent though.

I do some trapping as a hobby, with foot hold traps. For that I've got a Ruger Single Six .22 in stainless. Use CCI CB subsonic to dispatch fox etc, only one entrance hole, no exit with the subsonic, so saves some fur.

My nightstand pistol is a Taurus Judge, loaded with some .45 LC hollow points and Buckshot. I actually bought this pistol for a snake/river gun, but quickly found out that it isn't good for that. But perfect for home defense.

For a snake/river gun, I've got an H&R Tamer in .410, a cheap reliable, full choked, 3 in mag. Cheapest gun I own and the most practical.

I've had several guns I wish I would have never traded off, like a DPMS LR-308, Bushmaster 223, Browning Auto Safari in 25-06, Smith and Wesson .45 APC 1911SC. But ohh well, lesson learned.
Jason790812 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #64
yippie21

1979 CJ7 

Same here as others, the extent of my off roading is while out hunting. Whitetail, dove, pheasant, hog, and (javelina when in South Texas ).

yippie21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #65
bombdude
1984 CJ7 

My son got a spike Sat evening, so I hauled the 2nd deer outta the woods with the Jeep. Then he decided that he'd rather skin the deer at home instead of the camp, so the deer got a nice Jeep ride.
bombdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #66
abnkevin

243, I'm in Round Rock. We should get together and go shoot sometime. I went on a Fallow hunt with my daughter last week in Bertram.

Kevin
abnkevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-28-2010, 02:37 PM   #67
1983 CJ7 

How did ya'll do on the Fallow hunt?
Unread 12-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #68
abnkevin

Great!!!
fallow-down.jpg  
abnkevin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2011, 11:28 PM   #69
rugz31
1976 CJ7 

i'm a big pheasant hunter. there's nothing i love more than a few birds flying up and the feeling of seeing one fall from the air, and the dog retrieve it.

i also love to go deer and turkey hunting, never really tried anything else. no one in my family really does any other kind of hunting, and lately it's hard to find many other people who share my interests. a few friends and that's it.

i use my Remington 870 12ga. for everything, here in iowa we can't use rifles for deer. i also have a Browning Sweet 16 that my grandfather gave to me when he passed away, a Weatherby Vanguard .243 (in case I ever get to do some deer hunting in SD lol), and various .22 rifles.

i prefer hunting to trail riding, but only because since i've had my CJ, it's been under the knife for a complete restoration. it should be done sometime soon, so maybe that will change.
rugz31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #70
1983 CJ7 

I missed the reply, nice job Kevin!

rugz, I have wanted to hunt Pheasant and Geese for years but have not had the opportunity. As the girls get off to college I will make more time.
Unread 02-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #71
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

I hunt mostly whitetails and I went on my first black bear hunt this past season but didn't see anything. I have a mathews reezen 6.5 bow and a DPMS Panther LR-308 with a Trijicon 3-9x40 Accupoint scope. I've got a 4 round mag for the field and a 2 20 round mags for the range and the bad guys. I want to take a deer with my XD-40.
imag0003.jpg   imag0007.jpg   deerheads.jpg   imag0169.jpg   imag0165.jpg  

Unread 02-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #72
my_304_cj7
1976 CJ7 

Sorry about the size I dont know how to make them smaller. The last one is my lab, Drake at our hunting camp.
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:04 PM   #73
rattler_mt
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I missed the reply, nice job Kevin!

rugz, I have wanted to hunt Pheasant and Geese for years but have not had the opportunity. As the girls get off to college I will make more time.
chinese corn vultures are fun to hunt, more so if yah have a good dog......
rattler_mt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 10:45 PM   #74
jagerlager
1979 CJ7 

Whitetail, rabbit and grouse up here. Goose, Turkey, bear, predator (coyote and bobcat) on occasion.

Jeep, chainsaw, sks, .44 mag, winchester 12 ga., and a browning mirage bow.

Thanks for starting this thread, there are so many who don't wheel the jeeps for sport, but like to have fun getting from point A to point B, and actually arrive.
dana 30 front axle - amc 20 rear axle
in line six 258

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=473436"]Frame repair thread[/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518603"]Tub repair thread[/URL]

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=562223"][U]Assembly thread[/U][/URL]
jagerlager is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #75
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by my_304_cj7 View Post
I hunt mostly whitetails and I went on my first black bear hunt this past season but didn't see anything. I have a mathews reezen 6.5 bow and a DPMS Panther LR-308 with a Trijicon 3-9x40 Accupoint scope. I've got a 4 round mag for the field and a 2 20 round mags for the range and the bad guys. I want to take a deer with my XD-40.
Dude! You have some pretty woods! Nice job, too!

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.