CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 09-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #676
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Scott,

I agree with you, 50 yards is a looooong shot on a whitetail, considering how jumpy those little critters can be. 40 yards is my limit on them. 20 is better.

But, a 50 yard shot on an elk is a decent shot to me with a compound bow. They simply don't react as fast, and their kill zone is huge. Often times they won't even hear the shot at that distance, if your bow is reasonably quiet.

I guess it's all relative to the animal, the situation, and the proficiency of the hunter.

Matt

Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #677
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Scott,

I agree with you, 50 yards is a looooong shot on a whitetail, considering how jumpy those little critters can be. 40 yards is my limit on them. 20 is better.

But, a 50 yard shot on an elk is a decent shot to me with a compound bow. They simply don't react as fast, and their kill zone is huge. Often times they won't even hear the shot at that distance, if your bow is reasonably quiet.

I guess it's all relative to the animal, the situation, and the proficiency of the hunter.

Matt
Elk? What's an elk?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #678
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

My AZ pronghorn hunt.

Drew a unit 10 pronghorn tag for Northwest AZ, north of Kingman. Used up all of my bonus points, around 12 or 14. The hunt was successful, taking a buck that should score in the 70's. Since I took 12 years to get this hunt I probably be too old and stove up to try it again. I flat towed my CJ5 be hind the work van, never getting over 60 mph. There is a picture of the travel setup, my pronghorn, and the country, specifically the Aubrey cliffs. I was very blessed in this hunt to have my son along. I couldn't have done without him. God bless.
Jon In Tucson
004.jpeg   014.jpeg   022.jpeg  

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #679
1983 CJ7 

Very nice buck Jon, great pictures too
Unread 09-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #680
Jon In Tucson
Jesus Is Lord!

1983 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Very nice buck Jon, great pictures too
Thanks. He was the biggest in the area we were hunting, had a herd of 14 does and was constantly running off little bucks and keeping his herd together. Really flat open country, without a lot of cover, made the stalk a challenge. I blew two other stalks on him before anchoring him with a 100 gr ballistic tip from a .257 Weatherby. God bless.
Jon In Tucson

"The secret to a Jeep, especially a CJ, is you can't
panic." - Mike

"I may not be a smart man, Jenny, but I do know grounds."
Jon In Tucson is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #681
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr

Wait til you have a decent buck at 10, while you are sitting/standing on the ground. NOTHING will pump your heart faster than that!

No way you will avoid losing a deer/game with a bow. It's gonna happen if you hunt with one. Just make sure, when you reflect on it, it wasn't because you were irresponsible.

And I practice out to 80 yards, just becase I can. But no way would I ever shoot a bow at an animal at that range. Unless I was defending my homestead!
My dads first buck with a bow was at 12yds it scored 218 3/8" luckily he only had 15 seconds to react or else I don't think I'd have a father anymore but you're right I don't trust my bow at anything farther than 25 yds but I have an amazing stand setup to where all deer come in at 10-15 yds.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #682
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Elk? What's an elk?
About 300 pounds of wild deliciousness, that's what.

Jon, congrats on your Pronghorn.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #683
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon In Tucson View Post
Drew a unit 10 pronghorn tag for Northwest AZ, north of Kingman. Used up all of my bonus points, around 12 or 14. The hunt was successful, taking a buck that should score in the 70's. Since I took 12 years to get this hunt I probably be too old and stove up to try it again. I flat towed my CJ5 be hind the work van, never getting over 60 mph. There is a picture of the travel setup, my pronghorn, and the country, specifically the Aubrey cliffs. I was very blessed in this hunt to have my son along. I couldn't have done without him. God bless.
Jon In Tucson
Wow! I could live there!

Way to go, Jon. I love fast, little bullets. Great pics.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #684
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Here in Maine I hunt whitetail, turkey, partridge, rabbit, and moose. We just got back this afternoon from a five day moose hunt up north. My aunt and uncle bagged an 820 pound bull with an atypical rack.

I've had my CJ5 since April and this is the first hunting expedition it's been on. Prior to this I used my suburban or bummed along with someone else. There was one trip that I drove our one ton Chevy van up north, but that's a separate story.

Recently I've been using a compound bow, a recurve, and a muzzleloader. Previous to that there is also a winchester .308 bolt action (model 70?), a Mossberg 12 gauge bolt action, and everything in my father's collection (Remington 700 in .30'06, winchester .32 special lever action, .22 bolt action, 12 gauge single shot).

Two of my closest friends reload and I've spent a little time with one of them learning about it. I don't have any equipment to do it on my own but may start to do more with his stuff. (His handguns and AR are a lot of fun to shoot at the gravel pit and reloading makes that a lot more affordable)

Do you give the Jeep wave at night when they can't see you?
EgulAye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #685
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
About 300 pounds of wild deliciousness, that's what.

Jon, congrats on your Pronghorn.

Matt
You must be confusing Mule deer with Elk
Unread 09-24-2013, 05:52 PM   #686
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgulAye View Post
Here in Maine I hunt whitetail, turkey, partridge, rabbit, and moose. We just got back this afternoon from a five day moose hunt up north. My aunt and uncle bagged an 820 pound bull with an atypical rack.

I've had my CJ5 since April and this is the first hunting expedition it's been on. Prior to this I used my suburban or bummed along with someone else. There was one trip that I drove our one ton Chevy van up north, but that's a separate story.

Recently I've been using a compound bow, a recurve, and a muzzleloader. Previous to that there is also a winchester .308 bolt action (model 70?), a Mossberg 12 gauge bolt action, and everything in my father's collection (Remington 700 in .30'06, winchester .32 special lever action, .22 bolt action, 12 gauge single shot).

Two of my closest friends reload and I've spent a little time with one of them learning about it. I don't have any equipment to do it on my own but may start to do more with his stuff. (His handguns and AR are a lot of fun to shoot at the gravel pit and reloading makes that a lot more affordable)

Nice

Have you had Elk and if so, how does it compare to Moose?
Unread 09-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #687
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post

Nice

Have you had Elk and if so, how does it compare to Moose?
Yes, I have. It was better, quite a bit so. A few of my uncles and cousins have gone out west for elk, and they shared

I haven't been on an elk hunt myself.

Unread 09-24-2013, 11:26 PM   #688
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgulAye

Yes, I have. It was better, quite a bit so. A few of my uncles and cousins have gone out west for elk, and they shared

I haven't been on an elk hunt myself.
Yet...

Go I've heard it's an amazing time I can't wait till I get to go in a few years
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #689
EgulAye

1980 CJ5 

Two moose hunts!

2013/09/20

Today I headed to the North Maine Woods for a moose hunt. I made it all the way to camp with no issues, hauling the trailer full of spare parts and tools. Apparently it was overloaded, given the rusty nature of the frame. The driver's side spring and shackle mounts broke right off just as I arrived. I had to drag the trailer in the last mile with the tire rubbing on the inside of the fender well (holding up that side of the trailer).

I drove around a lot on Friday after arriving at camp, left the Jeep at camp all day Saturday while it rained off and on, and then drove it all day Sunday and Monday. Sunday is a No Hunting day in Maine, so it's a perfect time to focus on looking for sign and for having fun.

I've been wanting to try this for a while.

Even though the weather was nice, the wind in the face was a bit much at the speeds were were traveling. I can see where having the windshield down would be nice for crawling around, but most of our driving time is faster than that. At least now I've tried it and know what it's like.

On Monday morning I followed my Aunt and Uncle in to the prime hunting spot they had picked out. The rest of our group followed a bit later. I should add at this point that the first day of a moose hunt can be a testosterone and territorial battle ground for the best hunting locations. Hundreds of permits are awarded for each zone of the state, meaning dozens of other groups have probably been scouting the exact same location that you've chosen.

Having been down this road before, we had arrived at our spot a few hours before the legal hunting day started. When the rest of our group arrived at the start of the day there was another hunter blocking the road in (dead end road - for logging purposes). This is clearly against the rules. The paper companies own the land, and they are pretty clear that you can't block roads. Also, there are the Maine IF&W laws against interfering in someone's hunt (these were mostly created in retaliation for the PETA types that do whatever they can to foil your hunt, not to dissuade other greedy hunters from staking a claim to a large area of land). Via radio communication we found out that the other hunters were claiming, as we were, that they already had hunters on this road and that they were there first and wouldn't move.

Since I was clearly sitting at the end of the road and the other group wasn't present I figured I could settle the dispute pretty easily and calmly: I fired up the Jeep and drove back out to the beginning of the road. Sure enough, there was a guy blocking the road in (and my way out) and so I met him with my headlights in his windshield. I waited a minute like that and then backed up the road back the way I'd come. Now, this dead end access road is several miles long, and there could be several good spots along the way. If the spot you want is half way down and that is where you are waiting then you are supposed to pull over to the side to do your waiting... This guy had wanted to wait until first light and then be the first to drive the entire length of road for an easy shot standing by his truck.

Code:
I should add that once the other guy saw that we really were already in on the road he started rolling in, turned around at the end of the road and left, but not before a few more words were exchanged. Sheesh.
The morning ended up not being productive for us anyway, go figure. However, I wasn't able to start my Jeep. It just cranked and cranked and puffed.

Crank, Crank, puff

Crank, Crank, puff

There also was a strong gas smell.

Obviously something was wrong, so I stopped trying to start it. A brief inspection under the hood showed me that fuel was leaking pretty badly from the top of the fuel pump. The fitting was bent over and it was leaking out through a small crack that had formed there. One of my cousins gave me a lift back to camp for my spare fuel pump and I had it changed out in no time. ] I also added a small bracket to support the weight of the fuel line and filter on the carb side of the engine. Normally the hard line would be better supported on that end by the carb, but mine just has a nipple with rubber hose all the way to it from the filter. Hopefully the added support will prevent any undue stress that was being induced on the pump fitting.

Sadly, the jeep still wouldn't start. But now I know it's definitely getting fuel. A quick check with my meter showed that the coil was still getting power with the key on so I popped the dizzy cap off. Ah Ha! Water in the cap will dampen the chances of the jeep starting. A few squirts of WD-40 and a wipe-down with some shop towels got me to the point where the jeep fired up and ran, but it was sputtering and running rough. So, I took the cap off again and wiped it out some more, trying to get every drop from every nook and cranny. Now the jeep runs pretty good and got better after a couple minutes of idling.

I've got to keep the puddle jumping to a minimum it seems. Also, every time our convoy approached a puddle I got a stern (jokingly) warning to go around.

I think everyone was worried about me having the old jeep on such a long trip. They weren't worried as much by the end though. And, they figured if anything else did break I'd probably be able to fix that too (and probably had the spare parts with me to fix it on the spot!).

All in all it was a great trip and the Jeep performed admirably. There was only one trail that I would have like to try out but didn't. It was pretty gnarly looking, with lots of holes and big rocks, narrow passes between trees, etc. If this trail were at home or nearby, I'd have done it. But hundreds of miles from home or the nearest pavement or parts store... Not such a great idea. Also, I was alone at the time and probably needed a trail spotter.

2013/10/14

I brought the Jeep up north again this weekend for my buddy Tom's moose hunt (second of three different weeks). I also brought my two boys, Alex and Adrien, with me. This is their first hunting trip that wasn't a local day outing. It was also their first chance to hunt partridge (ruffed grouse). We borrowed a couple of .410's for the purpose. One was an old Stevens single shot with a great "patina", like the one in this add. The second was a Stoeger over and under, what a beautiful shotgun! The weather wasn't very good for bird hunting, but the boys each got a chance at them.

We had a great weekend with the Jeep exploring new areas, we even made up a song. "The twelve things we love about hunting camp" is mostly finished, I just need to remember what we came up with for #'s 6 - 9.

I think it takes a special talent to be able to take a nap while riding fast on rough roads in a topless Jeep. Both Alex and Adrien have that talent: . They took turns out back, but secretly they were taking turns up front for napping! I guess the fresh air and long days really got to them

The scenery was great, and the weather was warm and mostly cooperative.

Adrien was continually spotting little details like this mushroom while we were out and about. Hiding in a pocket between some fallen trees and obscured by leaves:

Here's a short YouTube video of us going around a beaver dam, believe it or not we are still on the road...

The only moose we saw in the four days we were up there was three small ones at 4:30 in the morning on Monday (still dark). My buddy Tom has until Saturday to bag his moose, and my fingers are crossed for him. He's found lots of good sign and knows several good spots that the moose frequent. Now it's just a matter of being in one of those spots at the right time.

Last edited by EgulAye; 10-17-2013 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: Fixed a few photos and added a bit of text, as noted above.
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #690
freaknajeep
1971 DJ 

I hunted 2 seasons ago with my bow but by that time my carpal tunnel and tendonitis had gotten to a point the holding for longer than say about 60-90 seconds was out...granted my bow is an older mossy oak alpine rebel...last season I pulled it out of its case went to attempt to draw it, it looked and felt a little strange then the string just disintegrated...I have found a place here locally to get a new string and have it replaced, but I just really don't see the point...I cant really climb anymore either due to the pressure on my joints...so my delima these days is which rifle to take with me..sometime I carry 2 different ones(for absolutely no good reason)...currently I have a 1943 Enfield .303 british(scoped,sporterized and rude accurate), a TC .50cal muzzleloader(scoped and still dialing it in), and a 2012 savage model 11 .308(with bi-pod and 4x12x50 bushnell sharpshooter w/ adj. parallax)... would love to try out one of those TC .50cal hunting pistols...as of now i foot it to and from my "spots" as most are farmers fields that are on loan to me for hunting purposes...so out of respect I do not enter with a motorized vehicle...however up in tn I have a place where I can trail ride the night before and camp n hunt in morning before all the trail traffic starts...last year I about killed myself throwing 4 large deer up 4ft into the bed of my 72 f350 with farm bed...not this year...gonna get/make one of those hitch haulers for my jeep but with a lifting boom attached...to quote bruce willis "im getting to old for this ****!"....even tho I was reading our regulations for "hunting from a vehicle...apparently you "Can" hunt from the cab of your truck or a Bed blind...as long as you are completely void of all vehicular movement engine is off and you are not within the proclaimed "right of way"...would be kinda cool to camo the little fella out and just whip it up into the tree line nd not have to hike in...but then that kinda takes al the fun out of it...

Shhhhhh I'm not crazy...It's just the voices in my head
freaknajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.