CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 01-24-2013, 07:15 AM   #616
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Thanks for reminding me,
My Brother-in-law told me to save the brass and he'll show me how to re-load.

Just have to figure out what to buy.
A reloading press (can be cheap or expensive depending on how many features you want and if you get new or used), set of powder measures, charge table, dies for each different caliber you plan on using, chamfer tool, primer tray, and consumables. You'll also want a stout work bench with enough clearance for you to swing the press' handle its full travel.

Edit: And that's if you plan on using commercial tips. If you want to do cast-your-owns, you'll need molds, a dipper and crucible, a heat source for melting the lead, and consumables.

teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #617
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Strenk View Post
Thanks for reminding me,
My Brother-in-law told me to save the brass and he'll show me how to re-load.

Just have to figure out what to buy.
John,

I inherited all my Father's reloading equipment. 30-06 and 7mm calibers mostly.

As a kid, I spent many hours watching him make ammo, but I guess I was too young to retain much of it. By the time I got old enough to pay close attention, he'd passed, and I got a lifetime of ammo that he'd already loaded up.

I've had the itch to pull all that stuff out of the cabinet and re-learn the re-loading craft for quite some time. Perhaps we can learn together.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #618
Truck633
GO ONE MORE!!

With ammo in soon to be short supply, that reloading equipment is gonna be like gold!!!!

Up here - we go by results, when you preached, people slept. When he flew, people prayed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindicated View Post
It's like dads new mistress. You hate her until you see her boobs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionakana View Post
I bet the new bike riding monkey will pedal a lot faster!
Truck633 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #619
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
John,

I inherited all my Father's reloading equipment. 30-06 and 7mm calibers mostly.

As a kid, I spent many hours watching him make ammo, but I guess I was too young to retain much of it. By the time I got old enough to pay close attention, he'd passed, and I got a lifetime of ammo that he'd already loaded up.

I've had the itch to pull all that stuff out of the cabinet and re-learn the re-loading craft for quite some time. Perhaps we can learn together.

Matt
I've been reloading since age 14 and I am 56 now. I did not know what I was doing as a kid but now I understand it. You have to control
1) Case length
2) Where the case shoulder is with respect to the base of the case (head spacing)
Those are the main two variables to watch to keep from hurting yourself. PM me if you ever want to talk about anything related to reloading. I recently joined Ben Lommond gun club which is out at Ramah.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #620
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

foggy,

I kinda remember the process...re-sizing the brass, polishing the brass, pressing in the primer, weighing out the powder, and pressing the bullet on....my Father would let me do all of it, as he looked over my shoulder.

It's the setup and all the specs I'd have to bone up on.

Perhaps we can meet at my place, sometime, and you can tell me what I have, and need to do with it.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #621
1983 CJ7 

The issue right now is finding components, incredibly more difficult than early '08.

I would not suggest to anyone they go out and buy large amounts of components, ammunition, magazines or firearms at highly inflated prices; on the other hand, buying what you need *on sale* is a good idea.
Unread 01-24-2013, 01:38 PM   #622
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Matt,

Much like your case, my dad would watch over my shoulder as I reloaded anything from .243 to .357 magnum. I made so much of it as a kid that I haven't needed to set up my own equipment as an adult... yet, but, as I'm sure you are aware, there is no better way to really narrow down the performance and price of good ammo. These days my dad builds rifle specific loads until he finds a combination that repeatedly shoots under 1/4" in a three shot group at 100 yards. Once he nails the load, he makes 50 or so rounds and buys another rifle.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #623
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv
Matt,

Much like your case, my dad would watch over my shoulder as I reloaded anything from .243 to .357 magnum. I made so much of it as a kid that I haven't needed to set up my own equipment as an adult... yet, but, as I'm sure you are aware, there is no better way to really narrow down the performance and price of good ammo. These days my dad builds rifle specific loads until he finds a combination that repeatedly shoots under 1/4" in a three shot group at 100 yards. Once he nails the load, he makes 50 or so rounds and buys another rifle.
My dad never taught me how to. But we have a reloader. But his friend reloads for his .308 and has them so precise that he knows exactly where it will be at 1000yds he take his time with reloading.

sent from the bottom of an empty money pit
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #624
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
The issue right now is finding components, incredibly more difficult than early '08.

I would not suggest to anyone they go out and buy large amounts of components, ammunition, magazines or firearms at highly inflated prices; on the other hand, buying what you need *on sale* is a good idea.
Funny you mention that... Midway has cancelled my powder order twice now! Don't understand it. Website says it's in stock. No backorders. Just cancelled. I'm wondering if it is because of quantity ordered??

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #625
1983 CJ7 

I doubt it Scott, but you may have two haz mat fee's if your box of powder and primers tops 50 lbs
Unread 01-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #626
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I doubt it Scott, but you may have two haz mat fee's if your box of powder and primers tops 50 lbs
You remember a few weeks ago when I ordered up that large reloading order?? The powder and primers were ordered together to eliminate the double hazmat fee, which you pay regardless of weight, for powder and/or primers, and they are shipped separately. I had to pick up my IMR rifle powder from a small shop in Jasper, GA when Beth was passing thru, because Midway cancelled all my powder, rifle and pistol, for the second time! They DID ship the primers, however.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #627
1983 CJ7 

One hazmat up to 50 lbs bubba
Unread 01-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #628
daltonw
1981 CJ7 

any more these days a guy has to reload. for one it saves money in the long run and you don't have to worry about finding ammo. except like mentioned above the components are hard as hecke to come by
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #629
mastercraftka
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

I guess this thread got quiet when hunting season ended. We had a good season and turkey season just started down here, but we had a good year hunting. We had some canucks come down and hunt and they had a blast might have seen this tv show on the pursuit channel. Hunting Canada and Beyond. doubletoutfitters.net

If it doesn't rain here soon next year will not be this good at all, kinda worried.
doak-turkey-tristan.jpg   95.jpg  
1981 CJ 7
mastercraftka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:55 PM   #630
1983 CJ7 

Very nice...the Turkey

Your deer ain't bad either

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.