CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

2003-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Headlight Dark Background wiOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Wheel Bearing & Hub Asse

Unread 12-14-2010, 04:09 AM   #46
Eaglekeeper
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Jody, was that 7MM in a 7X57?
Scott. It's the 7x57. My grand dad gave me the gun when I was 8 and I shot a lot of rounds learning on it and hunting. I left it with one of my uncles and it's still one of his primary hunting guns. I'll get it back eventually, but it's in good hands for now.

A ton more pics here.
[URL="http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/"]http://s1038.photobucket.com/albums/a462/E9Eaglekeeper/[/URL]
Eaglekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 07:11 AM   #47
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
Scott. It's the 7x57. My grand dad gave me the gun when I was 8 and I shot a lot of rounds learning on it and hunting. I left it with one of my uncles and it's still one of his primary hunting guns. I'll get it back eventually, but it's in good hands for now.
I have a Spanish Mauser in 7X57. Under normal conditions a dependable round for Whitetail up to 400 yards. Although one guy killed about 3000 elephants with his 7X57, I wouldn't recommend it!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 08:08 AM   #48
mvigo
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I think the 54 is predecessor to the 70, correct?

Dave,

I have the Mdl 70, so the year might be wrong as all of my shotguns and rifles have been handed down to me by my grandfathers, father and uncle. The exact year of most of them are rough estimates off of the serial #'s. The .06 is pre-'64 and most, if not all, of the mdl 12's are from the 19teens and 1920's...my favorite shotgun is my model 12 20 ga that I have hunted with since I was 8 and now my daughters are shooting it. I only wish I could sling steel through those barrels...

I can wax poetic, but this thread touches on some very important issues...

Jeeps, we are all passionate about them for various reasons. My reason(s) are plenty but as I have gotten older I have realized that my Jeep has gone along way to introducing the outdoors to my daughters in the very same way that the 1st Jeep I fell in love with did. Each year my daughters and I take the Jeep into the Rubicon, last summer I took my youngest on a 3 day Jeep trip on the Fordyce trail. Our Jeep has been able to go places outdoors where most vehicles can't and, therefore, we seem to get a better sense of solitude, nature, wilderness etc. Don't get me wrong, I don't go out every weekend, in fact, it is only a few times a year, but quality over quantity seems to have my daughters want more and I don't have to mention the time you get to spend with them without all the "noise" of today's youth. If I were a kid now I surely would flunk today's youth.

The 2nd issue I have thought about for the last several years is hunting and how much it was a big part of my life growing up and how I was going to introduce hunting to my kids hoping they would enjoy it. So far, they have hiked the hills with me for quail or walked the fields with me for pheasant. Next week, they get to sit in a duck blind for the 1st time. As a father, I am excited, but as a hunter I am hopeful. California is a nice state to live in but it is not Texas or Montana or Wyoming or Nevada or some of the other great states where hunting is instilled upon its youth. I am sure we are all aware of the declining #'s of hunters overall and the best way to change that is through education and opportunity. I hope I am marching down that path because as a father of 3 daughters the odds are against me.

So, Dave, in a long winded answer to your original question, our Jeep is preferred as both a means of transportation to get us to the duck blind or that perfect hunting spot AND the trail for 4 wheeling and/or camping...

to boil it down to a simple phrase, our Jeep is just preferred no matter where we go! thanks for the thread, it is a good one...
1985 CJ-7, fuel injected 258, 2.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift, 1" Body lift, Crabtree Shackle Hangers, T-5, Dana 300 w/ 4:1 Teralow kit, Dana 30, AMC 20 w/1 piece axle, 3.73 's with Detroit Truetrac front and rear, riding on 32x11.5x15" Cooper Discoverer STT mud terrains
mvigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 08:23 AM   #49
molawnboy
1983 CJ7 

(where are you in MO? Im in St. Joe. seems like not many people on here are from MO.)
ms198, I live 20 miles north of Kirksville and about 7 miles from the Iowa line. The deer are huge and small game is pleantyful. Even see a few bobcats and a mt lion every once and a while.
molawnboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #50
thresher_593
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler_mt View Post
M1917 as in the bolt gun? love the placement of the safety on them, actually have one i had made into a 338-06(was already sporterized when i got it, no collectors value)....love the gun but it is darn heavy compared to my Kimber, thinking bout turning it into a 375 or 416 Ruger to make use of some of that weight.....as is though a 6 year old can shoot my hunting loads in a t-shirt comfortably its the top gun

That would be correct. The one I am looking at is un-altered in original condition. It's an Eddystone model. I have a C & R license and have been collecting for a few years. I really like old guns.
thresher_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #51
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Dave this is a great thread. Thanks for starting it.

To answer your question. I'd have to say that hunting is my passion. Getting to the destination is a big part. It's not always been in a Jeep. I hauled deer and turkeys in the trunk of my 68 Mustang even.

Something I get from hunting is enjoying my God given good health and the ability to get out and walk countless steps in a day in pursuit of game. That might be in the Rocky Mountians after an elk, pheasant hunting with my family in South Dakota or here close to home. Missouri is blessed with some of the best hunting in the nation and I take part in almost all of it.

My hunting desire came from my Grandpa. He and Grandma were married at the beginning of the depression and he hunted to help put food on the table. When I was 5 years old I was tagging along in the woods at night following the hounds as they trailed a coon. He also liked to squirrel hunt and we did allot of that. When I grew older we deer hunted together. When Missouri opened turkey season after many years of being closed we hunted them. Needless to say he and I were in the woods together more than any other person I've known. He's gone now but many of the memories come to my mind as I write this. All of which were good.

I also loved to read about the tails of Jack O'Connor growing up, still do. He played no small part in my choice of the .270 Win. as my first real deer rifle. Theodore Roosevelt is another man that wrote about his experience at hunting. I love reading his. All of the well known authors that hunted Africa in the glory days. I dream of someday going there myself. Alaska too!

Favorite calibers? Where to start. So many have been mentioned here already. I feel like armed with a .270 I could take any game anywhere. Yes I know there are better and I would use them. I love shooting a 22 cal. rifle or pistol. They hone your shooting skills. I have a favorite turkey gun that cost me a whopping $150.00, a Mossberg 500. It's killed many of them too.

Shooting and hunting has always been a way to spend time with family and friends. That may very well be the most enjoyable thing about it. Some of the best times I remember have been spent hunting and all that has went along with it. I can't say that I have as many friends that are interested in Jeeps as they are in hunting. I will say though that through this forum I've made friends and plan to continue to do so.
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #52
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molawnboy View Post
(where are you in MO? Im in St. Joe. seems like not many people on here are from MO.)
ms198, I live 20 miles north of Kirksville and about 7 miles from the Iowa line. The deer are huge and small game is pleantyful. Even see a few bobcats and a mt lion every once and a while.
Hey I'm from Missouri. About 90 miles southeast of you. I bet you know where the trap shooting place is there close to where highway 63 and 6 intersect. Bosco is what they call the guy. That is some nice country you live in.

Just thought I'd say hi.
Unread 12-14-2010, 12:09 PM   #53
rattler_mt
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thresher_593 View Post
That would be correct. The one I am looking at is un-altered in original condition. It's an Eddystone model. I have a C & R license and have been collecting for a few years. I really like old guns.
nice, the one above was made by Remington but ive had a Eddystone made one aswell, also sporterized......havent had one in original condition.....
rattler_mt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #54
1983 CJ7 

Great responses!

Surely there are more hunting and shooting nuts on JF
Unread 12-16-2010, 10:28 AM   #55
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Great responses!

Surely there are more hunting and shooting nuts on JF
Enough for an army Dave.
Unread 12-17-2010, 07:10 AM   #56
J-Ho
1968 CJ5 

I'm not an avid hunter but a competition shooter. I figured, what could make a better 3 gun cart than an old Jeep?
J-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:14 PM   #57
elks96
1985 CJ7 

Well I hunt a ton... Well atleast I did until the 2 little ones came. I still get out more than the average hunter. I hunt pretty much anything I can when I can. This includes Speed Goats, Deer, Elk, Moutnain lions, Predators, Duck, Geese, Upoland birds, I have also made a habit out of taking a triup to TX every couple years for hogs. I have hunted all over the Northern 1/2 of CO, the western part of Utah and most of Southern WY. Hunting is the reason why my jeep is never fixed, I just never have enough time to do both.

My 4 year old daught has been with me on many hunts so far and the boy is not 1 yet, but he will be going soon as well.

On a side note my weekend looks like this: Taking a kid out for a cow elk hunt tomorrow, Sunday will be coyotes, and monday will be ducks and geese.

My gear is very simple... 1 .22 pistol, 1 12 gauge, 1 .270, 1 30-30...

Oh yeah my wife also hunts a ton. to date she has killed Dusks, Geese, Mule Deer, Elk, Antelope, and a bobcat. She has yet to get a yote. Depsite the fact I usually kill 30+ a year...
1985 CJ 7 258 bored/Cammed, MotorCraft Carb, Mallory Ignition, NP435/Dana 300, 4.5 RE Ex, 1.25 JKS Body Lift, Detriot AMC 20 Rear(detroit locker and Warn Hub Conversion), Herculined Tub, Chevy Heater Blower, 34" Swampers, Custom Rear Bumper, more to come....

1972 K5 8" lift, 36" swampers, lockers, custom paint.
elks96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 06:38 AM   #58
1983 CJ7 

^^^ nice.........
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:09 AM   #59
laser78
1982 CJ7 

been hunting since i was 5. parents devorced when i was 3 so on weekends at dads thats what we did. in summer months after turkey season went out it was bass fishin.
dad had beagles and we went rabbit hunting every weekend in season.
i love to bow hunt mostly now, but when dad and i go i use my tc .270.
we also muzzeload together.
i have 15 guns now and working on getting my first pistol for christmas.
keltec .38
i am married and have 2 daughters, who do not hunt but will probably get into it when thay can sit still.
dad and i hunt whitetail deer and turkey, mainly now, and bass fish as much as possible.
i just got my first jeep last month, so now dad and i can go down those old roads that we drove by for years wondering were they might go.
i think he is more excited than me.
laser78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2010, 08:52 AM   #60
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser78 View Post
been hunting since i was 5. parents devorced when i was 3 so on weekends at dads thats what we did. in summer months after turkey season went out it was bass fishin.
dad had beagles and we went rabbit hunting every weekend in season.
i love to bow hunt mostly now, but when dad and i go i use my tc .270.
we also muzzeload together.
i have 15 guns now and working on getting my first pistol for christmas.
keltec .38
i am married and have 2 daughters, who do not hunt but will probably get into it when thay can sit still.
dad and i hunt whitetail deer and turkey, mainly now, and bass fish as much as possible.
i just got my first jeep last month, so now dad and i can go down those old roads that we drove by for years wondering were they might go.
i think he is more excited than me.
Cool story. Glad you and your dad remained friends after divorce. Keep it going!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.