CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 39 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 11-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #571
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

As some of you may have known, Jim and I have been planning a Colorado elk hunt for the last six months. This will have been the first time for me to big game hunt with two of my older brothers in 21 years. As soon as my brother heard we were coming, he went on a spending spree and picked up just about every hunting item you could think of.

This is my stuff ready to be loaded into the Edge before the trip. Got to get a shot of my CJ in there somehow.

We set up a 16x20 and a 14x18 canvas tents. The GPS sitting on my cot was 10,001 feet for our campsite.

Gratuitous picture of my brothers 1979 CJ7 with a 401/NP435/D300/D44 w/ARBs. Matkins X2 frame with 5" Rubicon lift on 35's.

The first morning was just a lot of hiking and following some sign. That afternoon we decided to drive to the far side of the mountain just to look around. About 7 miles from camp we spotted a lot of sign on a hilltop across the ridge. Looking at the tracks soon turned into looking at animals. We drove another half mile to get closer to them and parked the truck. At that point we hiked about 300 yards hugging the tree line until we spotted the herd.

I was able to tag this 5x6.

Here is Jim posing with the bull, his cow is right next to him.

As soon as someone mentioned constructing a meat pole, Jim jumped right in. Here the pole is already built and Jim knocked out the bull all by himself standing on top of that rickety ladder. He's a stocky SOB.

Jim wore himself out lifting up the bull so the four wheeler came in handy for the cows, I was supervising. We ended up with 1 bull and 3 cows that first afternoon.

My brother shot one more cow on Friday morning which filled out our tags so we packed up Saturday. Here is our final harvest.

I've also got pictures of them skinned and hung but I'm not sure if people want to see those so I will make them click-able so you have a choice.

Jim and my brother finishing off the last bull leg, skinned and hung.

The bull came in at 272 pounds hung and the cow at 196. Me with skinned bull. Mine ended up at a processor in Denver and I'll pick it up at Christmas.

Jim starting to de-bone his so he could take it home.

I was planning to put in for a muzzle loader draw next year but might switch that to a preference point depending on how much meat I have left in the freezer come next summer. We'll also have to see if Jim wants to go back that soon. For a hunting vacation, it sure was a lot of work but I had a great time getting to know Jim better and being able to spend the time in the mountains with him and my family.

Here is a shot of our hunting group. My brother is behind the camera, the two wearing black are my brother's friends, Jim, my other brother and two nephews.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #572
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Sounds like one hell of a time!
Dadamsnv is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #573
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

That is so cool that you guys had such a good trip. Way to go to all of you. How did the rifles perform? Obviously well! Congrats to all of you. And your brother has a serious CJ7.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:54 PM   #574
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Where did you do the butchering?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:37 PM   #575
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

As far as the guns, they were about 80 yard shots and no animal traveled more than 40 yards. Butchering may be the wrong word. They de-boned their elk in my brother's garage. His was small and was taking the whole thing in to be made into jerky. Jim took his to be processed closer to home.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 06:21 AM   #576
Galt
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
The hunting Gods blessed me with this fine buck, this morning.

Treestand. 10 yard shot. 40 yard recovery.

Matt
That's a great buck man!
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 06:35 AM   #577
Galt
1983 CJ7 

Here is how my season has went thus far.

Hunted hard in the early bow season which starts on September the 7th here in Maryland. I put one doe in the freezer but didn't see the buck I was chasing.

Opening morning of our early muzzleloader I took this nice 8-point whitetail on my property.

Then two days latter my 14-year old step son finally got his first buck after trying off an on for the past five years.

Then fast forward to Halloween night, I was playing trick-or-treat with this goulish looking zombie buck. He looks to be four years old to me. He has 23 points that you can hang a ring on.

&

The next bit of luck came one morning when my brother in law called me from the woods to let me know he just smoked a hammer of a 9-pointer. This awesome whitetail has a 25" inside spread. I was jealous of this one. My brother has a few really super nice deer. He is the horseshoe up the *** kind of guy.

I shot another 8 pointer this past week. He was not that impressive about a 110" 2 year old, which under normal circumstance I would have let walk but the bow season is effectively ending soon. I still have one shotgun tag to use still & season opens here in Maryland this Saturday.
1993 RX7 1.3L Rotary/ GT40R turbo/484 rwhp
2002 F-150 Lariat 5.4L V8
2007 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2L V8
Galt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:48 AM   #578
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Man what a season!
Unread 11-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #579
viimag
1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz
As some of you may have known, Jim and I have been planning a Colorado elk hunt for the last six months.
Hmmmmm let me think about this... You went to Alaska in June and then bragged about coming home with around 1000 pounds of fish (plus or minus 30% - 90%), and shared all those awesome pictures. Now you are doing the same thing 6 months later with this elk hunting trip.... You really know how to make someone jealous.

Congrats on a very successful trip. The pictures looked like the perfect trip. Good weather and good success. I hope to be able to do that someday soon. Now all I can do is go look for a pig. I am out of sausage.
viimag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #580
1983 CJ7 

Great job guys, keep the thread rolling so I can live through your adventures!
Unread 11-30-2012, 06:26 AM   #581
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Great morning. Got up and got ready to go to school and I go out to get in the keep and out in the pasture about 125yds was a coyote do I threw off my back back and pulled out my .222 and took the shot one shot one kill.
Something the city kids at my school don't do.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 08:12 AM   #582
ShotGunWillie
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I thought you guys might like these.

I shot the bull with my bow, last Monday, on public OTC land, on a do-it-yourself hunt.

Matt
Nice Rack!!!!!! Congrats
ShotGunWillie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #583
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher
Great morning. Got up and got ready to go to school and I go out to get in the keep and out in the pasture about 125yds was a coyote do I threw off my back back and pulled out my .222 and took the shot one shot one kill.
Sweet! They don't mind you keeping guns in your cars at school?
Unread 11-30-2012, 12:07 PM   #584
8pitcher
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv

Sweet! They don't mind you keeping guns in your cars at school?
No I was on my porch at my house. If I was at school I would have been shot by the cop here.
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #585
Tigerpaw
1983 CJ8 

"country boys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher View Post
Your right been living in the same house for almost 60 years and stepping outside to pop a cap at a varmit or anyting else diffently makes you appreciate what our ancestors left for us.
Tigerpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.