CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Reply
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #526
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,282
In my opinion, a medium weight 357 like an SP101 or similar would be ideal for that purpose. Heavy enough to help with recoil, dead nuts reliable, safe, no latches-levers-buttons or other devices to think about, point, squeeze trigger and shoot.

I prefer a 357 that allows the use of 38, 38 +P and 357, can't do that with a 38.

Fast reloads with full moon clips.

__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:44 AM   #527
Fatman
Registered User
2008 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,434
Hey Clay, the M&P is just a perfect fit for me. well balanced and ergonomically an extension of my hand. I've been carrying the same model for 11 years now and have never had a failure that wasn't my fault (dropped mag & bent rail lip) happens a lot at the range. I'd guess in 11 years, its close to 15,000 rounds, I'm on my third weapon, not that the other two were worn out by any means. Well made, reliable extractor & ejection components, & doesnt misfeed.

Bill, now that we know this is for the wife, Id tend to agree with Clay on the 9mm, you don't want to get her something that she is going to be intimidated by. If she won't shoot it, or makes excuses not to shoot it, then you're better off buying her a brick, and purchasing a gun for the local B&E perp. Actually, you need to let her buy the gun. If she drives the purchase, her enthusiasm will be increased 100 fold, and her desire to be an educated gun owner will be a shared passion for the two of you.

Dave, I like the 'hit' list in your sig !!!
__________________
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #528
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler
 
Dadamsnv's Avatar
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sun Valley, NV
Posts: 3,677
I have to agree with Scott in that, for an auto at least, a 9mm will be great for the wife. Even my hand stings after a few clips through the .40

Also Dave brings up a great point that I actually use at home. I keep the .40 and the .357 in my bedside drawer. I tell the GF that if she ever needs to use one, use the .357 because all she has to do is point and click. The .40 however, is what I'll be using. I'd have her shoot .38 special at the range. And pack it with .357 hollows or home defense rounds when it's tucked away.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:38 PM   #529
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Boys, boys, boys... we're talking about a gurl here! She ain't a shooter. She doesn't go to the range, and she doesn't bust paper. She needs something she can control in the unlikely event she needs to use it for self-defense. All you macho guys (macho-a-macho) who destroy cans with .357 rounds HAVE to realize that for someone to pick one up, squeeze the trigger, and come back to target, AFTER the ear-splitting concussion in the kitchen or living room, AFTER pulling to the right and torquing your wrist sideways, is gonna be near impossible. I love the .357. I have two of them. My wife is qualified with one. But it's not a good choice for someone who shoots once-in-a-blue-moon. Of course, the disclaimer... all the above is purely my opinion! And no offense to anyone... I'm just having some fun with this.

Fatman... I'm Scott (aka Kerrdog). Clay is my son, and it is his Jeep we built. Just FYI... I admire the name, so it is okay with me! Thanks for the report on the M&P. I understand that completely.
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #530
Fatman
Registered User
2008 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Boys, boys, boys... we're talking about a gurl here! She ain't a shooter. She doesn't go to the range, and she doesn't bust paper. She needs something she can control in the unlikely event she needs to use it for self-defense. All you macho guys (macho-a-macho) who destroy cans with .357 rounds HAVE to realize that for someone to pick one up, squeeze the trigger, and come back to target, AFTER the ear-splitting concussion in the kitchen or living room, AFTER pulling to the right and torquing your wrist sideways, is gonna be near impossible. I love the .357. I have two of them. My wife is qualified with one. But it's not a good choice for someone who shoots once-in-a-blue-moon. Of course, the disclaimer... all the above is purely my opinion! And no offense to anyone... I'm just having some fun with this.

Fatman... I'm Scott (aka Kerrdog). Clay is my son, and it is his Jeep we built. Just FYI... I admire the name, so it is okay with me! Thanks for the report on the M&P. I understand that completely.
Hey 'Scott' ... sorry,
all this is true, but UNLESS she practices, it doesnt mean chit.
facts are that women who train, are much less likely to have a weapon taken away ... so, now who is going to try to disarm someome w/ a weapon ?

not trying to lecture, but if you expect someone to walk over and pick up a weapon and boldly use it, w/o any "hand time" ... then own rocks, you'll be safer.
I would f'n freek if my wifes gun was used on her. Enough said.

Lets get back to hunting, wooo hooo, rifle has been in for 4 days now, still havnt sighted the scope on the 700BDL. maybe I'll just bow all season.
__________________
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #531
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,282
Scott, I never suggested Uncle Bill load a 357 and hand it to his wife, that is what 38's are for

BTW, my little sister, all 95 lbs wet with 3" wrists controls her SP101 with full house 357's just fine after plenty of time with 38's. And I reminded her that her 357 will shoot right through her wood sided house and possibly through the neighbors house 15' away. She now has a REM 870 20 ga full stocked short barrel ready to go with #8's. Grab the gun, the cell phone, crouch down beside the bed, dial 911, don't go look for the intruder.
__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #532
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
Hey 'Scott' ... sorry,
all this is true, but UNLESS she practices, it doesnt mean chit.
facts are that women who train, are much less likely to have a weapon taken away ... so, now who is going to try to disarm someome w/ a weapon ?

not trying to lecture, but if you expect someone to walk over and pick up a weapon and boldly use it, w/o any "hand time" ... then own rocks, you'll be safer.
I would f'n freek if my wifes gun was used on her. Enough said.

Lets get back to hunting, wooo hooo, rifle has been in for 4 days now, still havnt sighted the scope on the 700BDL. maybe I'll just bow all season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Scott, I never suggested Uncle Bill load a 357 and hand it to his wife, that is what 38's are for

BTW, my little sister, all 95 lbs wet with 3" wrists controls her SP101 with full house 357's just fine after plenty of time with 38's. And I reminded her that her 357 will shoot right through her wood sided house and possibly through the neighbors house 15' away. She now has a REM 870 20 ga full stocked short barrel ready to go with #8's. Grab the gun, the cell phone, crouch down beside the bed, dial 911, don't go look for the intruder.
Shoot... I'm not arguing or criticizing, just poking! You both make good points, and obviously know what you're talking about. Guns are like politics and religion, and everybody likes their own flavor.

Dave, if your sister is as gritty as you, I can see her holding her own!

__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #533
lucdog
Web Wheeler
 
lucdog's Avatar
1980 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: , Il.
Posts: 8,158
Thank you everyone! This Discussion will help me in the correct purchase.

Bill
__________________
1957 WILLYS pickup, needs work.
1973 J 4000,
1978 CJ7 DD.
1979 CJ7 360, TH400/Quadratrac trail Jeep.
1979 J20
1980 CJ5 trail Jeep.
1983 CJ7 pretty weekend and sometimes to work Driver in the summer, My first rebuild, if the Q-trac and 5 are broke, this one is the one to take. its just as capable as the other 2, except nice paint.
1984 Grand Wagoneer, 1 ton axles, great 360/727, and a big a$& tree fell on it .
1989 YJ the CJ to YJ conversion.
2005 TJ Rubicon.
2011 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4, Mrs. LUCDOG's DD.
Lots of parts not for sale, i'm a hoarder.
lucdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:11 PM   #534
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert, CO
Posts: 10,977
Bill,

Just to add to the bevy of opinions...my non-shooting gun-illiterate wife can handle my S&W 44 mag Mountain Gun...with 44 specials in it.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #535
243
Registered User
1983 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
Shoot... I'm not arguing or criticizing, just poking! You both make good points, and obviously know what you're talking about. Guns are like politics and religion, and everybody likes their own flavor.

Dave, if your sister is as gritty as you, I can see her holding her own!

Nope, my little sis' is much sweeter than me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Bill,

Just to add to the bevy of opinions...my non-shooting gun-illiterate wife can handle my S&W 44 mag Mountain Gun...with 44 specials it it.

Matt
I like the way you think Matt, same concept as the 38/357 but bigger


.
__________________
You can't sit at the big boy table if you are gonna whine like a girl...M
243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #536
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert, CO
Posts: 10,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
I like the way you think Matt, same concept as the 38/357 but bigger

I keep the first 3 rounds with 44 specials, for my wife, God forgive, if she needs to use them. The last 3 rounds are magnums, for me, God forgive, if I have to use them.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #537
Skerr
<*////><
 
Skerr's Avatar
1985 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: White Springs, Florida
Posts: 8,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
I keep the first 3 rounds with 44 specials, for my wife, God forgive, if she needs to use them. The last 3 rounds are magnums, for me, God forgive, if I have to use them.

Matt
You should get another gun, Matt. That way you won't have to share or argue about who gets the first shot!

Kiddin, Bro...
__________________
Kerrdog
Go Fish! <*////><

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #538
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler
 
Matt1981CJ7's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Elbert, CO
Posts: 10,977
Skerr,

That's only the gun I keep in my night stand. My safe is adequately stocked with other choices, if the situation dictates.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #539
8pitcher
Registered User
1988 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wellsville, Kansas
Posts: 4,744
My bedside is three knives haha.
__________________
[URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #640[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]

1976ish cj5 304 t18 d20 2.5" lift

some year YJ custom frame HP D60 14 bolt 4 linked front rear FI 350 700r4 NP231c

2009 JK 4 door 2.5" lift 35" tires custom bumpers mile marker 9500# winch
8pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #540
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler
 
Dadamsnv's Avatar
1977 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sun Valley, NV
Posts: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pitcher
My bedside is three knives haha.
Yeah those knives don't kick too hard, hehe.

Scott did you see my .357?? It weighs like 10lbs. Haha! But you bring up excellent points!

And as a side note, I've been thinking about getting Into duck hunting. Ducks are so tasty
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.