CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #31
1983 CJ7 

What are the laws for the suppressor in NC and what is it mounted on?

I saw a vid on Youtube where a guy was firing a two identical semi-autos, one suppressed and one not...boom, click-thump, boom, click-thump. It was really cool to watch and probably a hellava lot more fun to shoot.

Unread 12-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #32
1911Tyler
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
What are the laws for the suppressor in NC and what is it mounted on?

I saw a vid on Youtube where a guys was firing a two identical semi-autos, one suppressed and one not...boom, click-thump, boom, click-thump. I was really cool to watch and probably a hellava lot more fun to shoot.

nc has some funny suppressor laws but a good class three dealer can get you around most of them that is a SWR specter it is on a ruger 22 with a pac-lite upper on it i also have a matching ruger 10-22 rifle with the same flutted barrel. as for sound... its all in how much you want to spend i bought the best money could buy. it has the highest noise reduction of any .22 suppressor out there. but your right the bullet hitting the target makes more noise then the gun firing.
1911Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #33
Badshot
1985 CJ7 

Deer, ducks and hogs. Jeeps down right now, but hope to get it together quick. Told the boy it was gonna be the primary huntin vehicle.
Love to hog hunt. I hunt'em from the deer stand at night. Got lights that shine on the feeder and I pick the one I want out of the group. Use the 7mm-08 with 140 Nosler ballistic tip. Working up a load with different powders now.
Duck huntin would be next, but we are 50 inches below the rainfall we had last year at this time. Ducks love water. No water, no ducks.
Deer hunting is OK. put the .270 w/130 ballistic tips to them. My Savage is UGLY but very, very accurate. Best group at 100 was less than a 1/4 inch. Love the caliber and gun.
Coyotes are FUN FUN!. 22-250 with 45 grain winchester white box and I can roll one on out there. Thrilling to hunt something that can hunt you.
Badshot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #34
dhubing
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I only really hunt paper. I have hunted before, but not on a regular basis. For killing paper my favorites are; my XD 9mm SC (also my CCW), my Yugo underfolder AK, or my plane-Jane AR.
dhubing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 06:58 PM   #35
texasimport
1978 CJ5 

Loved hunting until I moved to Colorado compared to Texas it is a real PITA. Texas was Whitetail, Turkey and year round hogs. Up here elk, speed goats, mulies and someday I might have enough points for Moose.

.260, .270, 7 rem mag
.50 & .54 ball shooters
Unread 12-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #36
BrandonJames
1974 CJ5 

I hunt, whitetail, duck, canadian geese, turkey, pheasant, rabbit, and occasionally dove. I've got a Remington 30-06 for deer, a 12 gauge duck, geese, turkey, and pheasant, a .22 for the rabbit, and i use a 16 guage for dove(i think) the only gun that is technically mine is the 30-06, passed down from my grandpa.
BrandonJames is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 07:04 PM   #37
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhubing View Post
I only really hunt paper. I have hunted before, but not on a regular basis. For killing paper my favorites are; my XD 9mm SC (also my CCW), my Yugo underfolder AK, or my plane-Jane AR.
Love the XD9... SA-WEET!So smooth...

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 07:05 PM   #38
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglekeeper View Post
I used to hunt every fall with my granddad in North Georgia. He had a mid 60's cj and I had a FJ40. Used a Scoped 7mm Mauser that never let me down and never came home empty. That was in the mid and late 70's when suburbia Atlanta had not overflowed. Life went on and joined the service, moved away and never got back into hunting, but always have some great memories with my Grand Pa and his CJ.
Jody, was that 7MM in a 7X57?

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #39
thresher_593
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am pretty much into target shooting. I belong to a rifle club and shoot in some CMP matches. I have a couple of M1 Garands that I use. I'm negotiating to buy a M1917 that I could use as well.
thresher_593 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 07:11 PM   #40
LilyBayXJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I hunt mostly whitetail, but I spend alot of time riding the back roads hunting partridge, too. All with the help of my trusty Jeeps (though I perfer to use my CJ). I use a Ruger M77 in .260 for deer hunting, and a Ruger O/U Red Label 20 GA. for partidge hunting and competetive skeet shooting. I reload all my shotgun shells, but I perfer to buy new rounds for my rifle.
1983 CJ-5 - Stock - Sold
TJ Boot Camp
LilyBayXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 07:37 PM   #41
TKFireman
1980 CJ7 

Love to hunt, was a whitetail, rabbit and dove guy, but now have no where to hunt since I moved away from the farm, have no where to shoot except the local indoor range, which is a decent 100y indoor, but not a fan of indoor ranges. My man room is now a nursery and all reloading equip is in Rubbermaid totes.......
so most play money goes to the jeep now.

My favorites have to be a competition grade AR I built from the ground up, a Swiss k31, my Ruger Blackhawk and my .40XD, among others

Also had a fishing addiction thrown in there, still get that itch from time to time
Unread 12-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #42
rattler_mt
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thresher_593 View Post
I am pretty much into target shooting. I belong to a rifle club and shoot in some CMP matches. I have a couple of M1 Garands that I use. I'm negotiating to buy a M1917 that I could use as well.

M1917 as in the bolt gun? love the placement of the safety on them, actually have one i had made into a 338-06(was already sporterized when i got it, no collectors value)....love the gun but it is darn heavy compared to my Kimber, thinking bout turning it into a 375 or 416 Ruger to make use of some of that weight.....as is though a 6 year old can shoot my hunting loads in a t-shirt comfortably its the top gun

rattler_mt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:10 PM   #43
paulsalchow
1985 CJ7 

I used to hunt but sence going into gunsmithing 15 years ago with simmons my hunting seasons have become working seasons getting everybody else's firearms repaired so they can go out and enjoy what we all love.
This is my favorite time of year because of this, all the birds around here don't come close enough to me anymore and i am old,fat and slow.
I really love to hear my customers hunting stories when they come back in, it's like i was still out there so it is fun for me.
20 years i competed in handgun competitions with my now well used glock in stock class and that moved into 1911 stock single stack with some good times.
Good hunting guys, have fun and be safe. Paul.
paulsalchow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #44
stearman42
1985 CJ7 

Here in PA I hunt Whitetail, Squirrels, Black Bear, and when I can find the time, Turkey. Maybe some day I'll go out west and go for a moose or elk, but I'm content for now. I use my grandfathers .308 but also have a real nice Winchester Model 70 30-06 that I'm gonna shoot some. We're just getting started into reloading. I competed all through high school (this is my first year not competing) and I miss it already.
Unread 12-13-2010, 09:57 PM   #45
rattler_mt
1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post

I have bought tickets for the state draw for Pronghorn for almost 15 years but I have never been drawn. I saw a hundreds on the drive from Central Texas to Wyoming so I probably need to look out of state for opportunities.

I think the 54 is predecessor to the 70, correct?
look at goats in Wyoming, they have more of them than everyone else combined.....as much as i like Montana i have to concede defeat there know quite a few guys from back east that have done DIY public land goat hunts in Wyoming and been very successful..

and yes the 54 is the predecessor to the 70
rattler_mt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.