CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 22 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

New jk doors from steinjagerEliminate Hood Flutter!!!Thursday Savings Blast

Unread 08-11-2012, 05:06 AM   #316
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
I had a little fun at the range last night. Seven targets with a draw in 9.41 seconds. I've gotten into the 8's a couple times. Need to work on my first shot time. Shot with a Sig Sauer P239 in .40 cal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a80ks4Dkhv8
Looks like a lot of fun Mike, are you reloading yet?

It may be time to start

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdboy View Post
Here's my paper puncher, the second pic is of the new scope, rings, and base.

Nice, a Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint topped with a SWAROVSKI

If I were to have a WAG, I would say 308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashbrown View Post
My wife "Big Al" and her first kill
Lucky dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
I didn't know you competed Mike. That's cool. The boys and I really enjoy the competitive shooting. It is fairly cheap once you have your initial equipment. Some of the people there are really amazing. I shoot in the top 15%. Jake and Clay shoot in the top 25%. We generally have about 115 shooters. This is IDPA over in Jacksonville. Here is our crowd, a stage and pics of me and Clay.
Some day Scott, I will try some action pistol shooting but I have to stop playing with bolt guns. I regret selling my Kimber Classic back in the late 90's. At this point, I don't even own a handgun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
I need to find a good deer butcher in the Gatesville-Temple area. Mom doesn't like my butchering skills, and we've already agreed that I'm cooking the next deer that follows me home.
There is a ton of information out there on quartering and butchering game.

What sort of problem are you having?

Quote:
I don't get it, Dave. There is nothing inconsistent with those shots. They are very good! What's wrong??
Scott, if those groups were consistent I would be ecstatic but consistent .2-.3 is probably unrealistic for a sporter weight bolt gun. I do try hard to find loads that will shoot consistent .5-.7 at 100 and then move on to longer ranges. I have been locked in on H4350 but started trying some other powder last weekend.

Unread 08-11-2012, 05:52 AM   #317
jdboy
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Nice, a Tikka T3 Stainless Varmint topped with a SWAROVSKI

If I were to have a WAG, I would say 308
Dang you're on top of it and yes it's in .308 ! The only miss is it was an older blued Varmint version is why I had the Coyote Brown DuraCote applied. When I traded for the gun it had Leupold mounts and rings topped with a Springfield Armory Government Gen. 2 scope. I was having a problem with vertical stringing so I was in the process of changing the base/rings when I happened upon the Sworo for sale on a local classifieds ad. It was new in the box but was missing the factory lens covers and Sworo coin but that didn't bother me at all! We came to a agreement on a trade/boot from me and I was pleased. The end result was a EGW HD base, Talley Tactical rings, and the Sworo. Vertical stringing is now gone and the Tikka has earned it's keep!! Here's a pic of part of the trade on the Sworo. Nice toy but unbelievably LOUD!!

Unread 08-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #318
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Here's a pic of part of the trade on the Sworo. Nice toy but unbelievably LOUD!!

My kids saw this pic and they are falling over each other to get close to the monitor! Have to admit, this is cool! What is it?

Also, what is the input/opinion on these reflex sights? I have been looking at one for my mini-30, but other than the ACOGs we have at work, I know nothing of reputations, durability, etc. Are these $50 reflex sights junk like I would expect? I'm not going to buy and ACOG for a mini-30.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #319
jdboy
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
My kids saw this pic and they are falling over each other to get close to the monitor! Have to admit, this is cool! What is it?

Also, what is the input/opinion on these reflex sights? I have been looking at one for my mini-30, but other than the ACOGs we have at work, I know nothing of reputations, durability, etc. Are these $50 reflex sights junk like I would expect? I'm not going to buy and ACOG for a mini-30.

Thanks, it did get quiet a bit of attention anytime I had it at a range. It's a Kel-Tec PLR-16. It's listed as a long range pistol, .223 w/9.2" barrel. It actually shot rather well but the sound was deafening! I had the optional forend, GG&G bi-pod adapter, Harris Bi-pod, and 30rd P-Mag. The sight is a EOTech 512. It runs on 2xAA's and has 1/2 MOA adjustment. Great sight, think I scored this one for $300 used. They're around $420 new and if you shop around or catch a sale you can get them for as low as $380.

EOTech has a great reputation in most cases and are a fine option for many firearms. You have to watch when buying these though because there are actually a lot of fakes on the market. I actually thought about getting a newer model with the transversely mounted CR123 battery to go on the Tikka for up close work or closer ranges when a optic wouldn't be needed.
Unread 08-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #320
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Thanks, it did get quiet a bit of attention anytime I had it at a range. It's a Kel-Tec PLR-16. It's listed as a long range pistol, .223 w/9.2" barrel. It actually shot rather well but the sound was deafening! I had the optional forend, GG&G bi-pod adapter, Harris Bi-pod, and 30rd P-Mag. The sight is a EOTech 512. It runs on 2xAA's and has 1/2 MOA adjustment. Great sight, think I scored this one for $300 used. They're around $420 new and if you shop around or catch a sale you can get them for as low as $380.

EOTech has a great reputation in most cases and are a fine option for many firearms. You have to watch when buying these though because there are actually a lot of fakes on the market. I actually thought about getting a newer model with the transversely mounted CR123 battery to go on the Tikka for up close work or closer ranges when a optic wouldn't be needed.
I apologize for the analogy of a $50 sight! I am familiar with the EOTech.

But the right word at the right time... "Hey, give me a little hug!" That's the difference between lightning and a harmless lightning bug!
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #321
jdboy
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
I apologize for the analogy of a $50 sight! I am familiar with the EOTech.
Not a problem at all, it's all good!
Unread 08-11-2012, 09:38 PM   #322
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

My dad plugged his cow today! I'm super stoked about it. He was within 20 yards. He said it was super intense!
image-339172764.jpg  
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #323
1983 CJ7 

Congrat's to your Dad
Unread 08-11-2012, 09:53 PM   #324
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243
Congrat's to your Dad
I'll relay that.

Thanks
Unread 08-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #325
Gido
1980 CJ7 

That's sweet! One day I want to shoot an elk with my bow.

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #326
Jeffthern
1979 CJ5 

My shooting buddy has a PLR-16. He has it as part of his bug out set due to being able to use same ammo and mags as our AR's. He added a single point sling on the back. Made that thing deadly stable on long shots. Yes it is loud, but man is it fun. Keltec comes out with awesome ideas, and the guns are relatively cheap. Same guy has a sub-2000. It's a carbine that folds in half that shoots 9mm ammo, and takes Glock pistol clips. It's about 16" long when folded. A few cops around here have them as back ups in their cars.
Jeffthern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:05 AM   #327
Jumphog
1986 CJ7 

Hunting and CJ

ONE of the reasons I have had several Jeeps is because of my love for hunting and fishing. I gun hunt and bow hunt. I don't like crowds, so where everyone else turns around because of the deep holes or bad terrain, I have a vehicle that can keep going. I actually combine my hunting and fishing with off roading, and love it. My CJ has always got me in and got me back out.
Unread 08-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #328
Matt1981CJ7
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
My dad plugged his cow today! I'm super stoked about it. He was within 20 yards. He said it was super intense!
Yummy!! Congrats to Dada's Dad.

Matt
Matt1981CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #329
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1981CJ7 View Post
Yummy!! Congrats to Dada's Dad.

Matt
Thanks! and good luck on your coming hunt! I have to start riding my bike to get in shape for my hunt in Oct.
Unread 08-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #330
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I think I'm going to take the GF fishing this weekend. Except she wants me to bring the EZ up, and it doesn't fit in the jeep

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.