CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 20 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-10-2012, 03:44 PM   #286
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Wow! I guess the trout creel would be useless! Awesome fish, congrats. Is there any scene in Alaska not worth taking a picture of? I just love anything to do with that state. Someday I'll get there!
Thanks. I'd have to say I'm pretty proud to show that picture off. As for the scenery, here are just a few of the good ones. Hope you guys don't mind all the pictures.

Bald eagle.

Golden eagle.

The eagles are like vultures during the summer months.

A brave black tail fawn by our lodge. Good thing all the eagles were full from the free fish carcasses or she might have been dinner for them.

Here is the pool we fished for King Salmon.

I caught one 28" and had ~40" one brake my line after running almost 100 yards straight upstream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
That looks like a ton of fun! Biggest fish I've ever caught was a 10 lb. carp. Its not for lack of trying. One summer I fished almost every night in the river by my house and caught over 450 fish on that year long license. Almost all of them were 1 lb small mouth bass, a couple of 1-2 lb. catfish, and the occasional small rainbow trout. Those carp are pretty smart in this area. They don't easily get caught.

It really was a lot of fun. I am not a hard core fisherman by any means. I did my fair share of trout fishing growing up in Colorado and have gone on a few chartered deep sea fishing days while on vacation but this is the first time I had ever done something like this. For a self guided tour, I couldn't be more happy with our results.

Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #287
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Thanks for the pics Mike. I have a book called Alaska Bear Tales that speaks of salmom fishermen being eaten because they got too close during the salmon run. Did you see any Grizzlies? Your pcs are stunning. Was it a Lodge package deal?

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 07:59 PM   #288
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

We never saw any bears. One lady claimed to see a brown bear lay down in the grass on the far side of the king salmon pool but no one else could confirm it. We did see two whales from a distance so no good pictures. They have a very distinct blow hole sound and we heard them long before we saw them. We also saw groups of seals sunning on the rocks. Kind of hard to see but there are seven of them on there.

We stayed at the Green Rocks Wilderness Lodge. There were seven in our group which would have completely filled one cabin but they had an extra cabin so we were able to split up three into one and four into the other. It was $1800 per person for 6 nights/7 days, 2 hot meals per day and make your own sack lunch. We also paid $140 each to upgrade to covered boats which was worth every single penny. I'm pretty sure you'll be seeing our pictures on their website next year.

They also gave us some crab pots so we laid a few of those out. Crabbing was slow this year so we only got two keepers. They said last year was slow too but that three years ago, some people were averaging 20-25 keepers per pot per day. They use the halibut heads as bait. The two that we ate was the best crab meat I've ever had in my life. I guess it can't get any fresher.

We caught a couple of these, honestly not really sure exactly what it is. Pretty cool colors though.

This is the picture we will remember forever. That is our catch from Tuesday afternoon.

Scott,
Are you sure you were not there? We heard the cops had to break up a fight in front of the only bar in Petersburg the first night we were there and I could have sworn I saw your boat in the harbor.

They even had your sign there too.
Unread 07-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #289
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

That colorful thing in your crab pot is called a sunflower starfish. I've seen lots of them while diving in the channel islands. Some get as big as a trash can lid.

I'm considering using some of your scenic pics as backgrounds on my work computer. What did you shoot those with?
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 08:15 AM   #290
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Awesome pics Coiz, especially the flying eagle shots. That first crab pot looks like they're some super sized ticks!

Nice winch on the S.S. Kerrdog! Early Warn model. Love the paint scheme.... mossy, oak, and white!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #291
Gido
1980 CJ7 

X2 on the pics. Freakin awesome!

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #292
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
That colorful thing in your crab pot is called a sunflower starfish. I've seen lots of them while diving in the channel islands. Some get as big as a trash can lid.

I'm considering using some of your scenic pics as backgrounds on my work computer. What did you shoot those with?
Thanks. I have a bunch that I haven't even uploaded or posted. If you want to check out everything I have uploaded so far, look here. We had several cameras with us a SAMSUNG SL620, a Panasonic DMC-ZS19, a Canon PowerShot ELPH 300HS and a NIKON D200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Awesome pics Coiz, especially the flying eagle shots. That first crab pot looks like they're some super sized ticks!

Nice winch on the S.S. Kerrdog! Early Warn model. Love the paint scheme.... mossy, oak, and white!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gido View Post
X2 on the pics. Freakin awesome!
Thanks guys. If anyone wants a full sized version of particular photos, send me an email to (my screen name)@aol and I'll send you the full sized version. Here are a few more you guys might like.

Unread 07-12-2012, 01:52 AM   #293
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Great scenery. Makes me want to book a trip.
80cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #294
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I have some scenic shots from my cow elk hunt last fall in Jarbidge NV. They are shot with an iPhone, so they wont be as stunning as Coiz's, but you guys may like them. I got another tag in this area for this fall, and I'm totally taking my CJ this time.

That's my pops in pic 3, and yes, thats a font quarter and a hoof sticking out of his pack. Mine looked the same, like caveman antennas.

That's my cow in the last pic, the wound you see there is the second shot right in the shoulder at 200 yds. The first was on her left side right behind the shoulder where it should be. She flipped around to see what got her, and she was quartering towards me, which is why I scored the shoulder shot on the second go. It put her down, but I lost about 10 lbs or stew meat.
double_rainbow.jpeg   jarbidge1.jpeg   jarbidge2.jpeg   jarbidge3.jpeg   elk.jpeg  

Unread 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #295
1983 CJ7 

Nice!

That looks like about 350 lbs of meat in the freezer
Unread 07-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #296
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Nice!

That looks like about 350 lbs of meat in the freezer
Nevada mandates that you must take all four quarters, the tenderloins, some other kind of loin I forgot the name of, the backstraps, and the skull cap (to prove its gender). They don't require you take the liver and heart anymore. Because it was a HUGE hike back out (hence the packs), we took two trips and got all the mandated parts out. We left the body cavity and neck behind. With the four quarters, straps, and loins all butchered (which too us two whole days to butcher) we ended up with 100 lbs. of good meat. And she was 2-3 year old, so she couldn't taste any better!
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #297
gator4ever
1978 CJ7 

The pictures above are freaking awesome. The biggest hill down here is the ramp to the Turnpike.

I am 52 been hunting my entire life. I am a whitetail addict, used to be duck nut, I hunt Deer, Hogs, Osceola Turkeys, Dove and some Quail.
My guns are a 12 ga Beretta my parents gave me in 1972, a 3006 Weatherby, 7mm08 Encore plus 40 cal ml, Remington 1100 and 870, Browning A5 sweet 16, Winchester model 100 in 243, Remington 742 in 308 and a few others.

Here is my 78 cj7 Dana 44 front and rear, 44 inch super swampers. Hunt the Everglades and SW Florida where wet and mud is the norm.

Here is a newer pic repaiting.

gator4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #298
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

I like the theater seating! What kind of creatures do you hunt in the everglades?
Unread 07-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #299
gator4ever
1978 CJ7 

Quote:
I like the theater seating! What kind of creatures do you hunt in the everglades?
We hunt whitetails, hogs, turkey's, some quail depending on the water level. And gators if you draw a permit.

Here is a pic of a decent size buck for South Florida. We have shot bigger ones. But this is a good one for down here. A mature buck will weigh 165lbs wet.

gator4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #300
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

That sounds like a good time

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.