CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 19 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #271
81CJ7V8
1981 CJ7 

Here is a photo of my buck from last year finally mounted.

mount.jpg  
81CJ7V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 09:03 PM   #272
draperjojo
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
I had been looking for a Marlin 39A Mountie with 20" barrel for a long time. They were discontinued several years ago. I went to a gun show on a trip to Vegas about 4 years ago and stumbled across a well used 39A Mountie that was still in very good mechanical shape. I had Ed Lapour in Bremerton WA reblue it and he did a fabulous job. Bluing quality is much better than factory without being over polished. While Ed had all the metalwork, I worked on the stock refinishing it with Minwax satin poly varnish followed with a hand rubbing with turtle wax polishing compound. It's a great shooter too. Made in 1956.
Very nice, my 39a had to go back to the factory twice after I pulled it out of the box new...stuff that should have been right to begin with. I like it now tho...
draperjojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #273
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
I had been looking for a Marlin 39A Mountie with 20" barrel for a long time. They were discontinued several years ago. I went to a gun show on a trip to Vegas about 4 years ago and stumbled across a well used 39A Mountie that was still in very good mechanical shape. I had Ed Lapour in Bremerton WA reblue it and he did a fabulous job. Bluing quality is much better than factory without being over polished. While Ed had all the metalwork, I worked on the stock refinishing it with Minwax satin poly varnish followed with a hand rubbing with turtle wax polishing compound. It's a great shooter too. Made in 1956.
Very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by draperjojo View Post
Very nice, my 39a had to go back to the factory twice after I pulled it out of the box new...stuff that should have been right to begin with. I like it now tho...
Walked into a pawn shop at lunch today, a shop that didn't have 8 rifles on the rack last week but they did have a 39M today, about 85% on the blue and 90% on the wood, no serious defects and no repairs, absolutely ironic...you guys are good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81CJ7V8 View Post
Here is a photo of my buck from last year finally mounted.
<<< speechless
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:10 PM   #274
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

So I made it back from my week long fishing trip to Petersburg Alaska. I'm still trying to get my body back on a normal sleeping and eating schedule. I'm still having those random sensations that I'm still in a boat even though I am on solid ground. The trip was a blast. I took a lot of pictures and would like to share a few. This was all self guided fishing.

About two hours into fishing for halibut on the first afternoon I had hooked a monster that got away when it went ape ***** when my friend hit it on the head to stun it. I was really disappointed. 45 minutes later I hooked another big one. So with this one we took our time and made sure it was good and worn out before we harpooned, gaffed and beat the crap out of it.

When we got back to the lodge, the guys working there said it was the largest halibut they had seen caught by a guest all year. 57" long and 92 pounds. The one that got away was probably 10-12 inches longer.

One of the lodge hands fileting my catch.

Four really nice filets and two cheek steaks they called poor mans lobster.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #275
BrandonJames
1974 CJ5 

Very cool, thats a huge fish!
BrandonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:25 PM   #276
canaya
1982 CJ5 

Coiz I am so jealous right now! I wanted some halibut this weekend but when I saw the $22 price tag I steered clear. Glad you had a blast!
canaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:39 PM   #277
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks guys. We went back to the same spot the next day and and were churning through bait like crazy. After catching 5-6 sharks we decided we needed to move.

We moved about 20 minutes up Duncan Sound and stumbled on a nice little honey hole where we caught all of these in one afternoon.

The scenery was just fantastic!
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #278
1983 CJ7 

That is cool as you know what, way to go Mike!
Unread 07-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #279
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Thanks Dave.

The next morning we all went back to the same hole to try our luck again. We had two boats with seven total guys in our group. I thought this was a pretty cool picture taken first thing in the morning with the clouds and fog rolling up the mountain side. That's my friend Mark on the bow. We've known each other since grade school.

By the end of the day, here is what we had in one boat.

Here is what we had in the other.

Our group set a bunch of lodge records. We ended up catching 1,140 pounds of halibut in four days. We set a record for having the six biggest fish in one day as well as a record for a single days catch coming in at 595 pounds.

I know this is the biggest damn fish I have ever been involved with catching. Being one of the guys using the harpoon, gaff and bat is just as much fun as being the person who reels it in. This beast was 70 inches and 179 pounds. It took us an hour to get him landed in the boat. The guys at the lodge call anything over 90 pounds a "barn door".
Unread 07-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #280
teh603
1963 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
What do you hunt: paper, Elk, Whitetail, Moose, small game, birds?
Tasty animals, preferably whitetail. I may end up having to use mine to destroy feral hogs when I get it running, though.

Quote:
What are your tools?
An old Mosin-Nagant with a shot-out barrel. I'd like to get a Tiger Carbine sometime, but they're kinda expensive.

Edit: And a .308 Savage that was being naughty and hiding out.

Quote:
Favorite tools, favorite calibers?
.308 and 7.62x54R (not to be confused with the 7.62x39 used in the AK-47 and derivatives). I like stuff that doesn't mess around, unlike my cousin and his .225 peashooter.

[quote]Do you reload?[quote]Not at the moment. I've got a press and some dies, but no place to do the actual reloading. Finding non-corrosive boxer primed 7.26x54R with brass cases can also be a little difficult.

Quote:
Do you compete?
Hell no.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 05:50 PM   #281
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

So Mike are you ready to go back?

Looks like you guys had an excellent trip up north!!

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2012, 05:57 PM   #282
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

MIKE!!!!!!! I am READY TO MOVE! That is awesome. I saw a fishing show once where they actually shoot the halibut before bringing them in the boat! So you bottom fished? What kind of bait? Tackle specs?? 179 pounds? ziiiiiing!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #283
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Wow! I guess the trout creel would be useless! Awesome fish, congrats. Is there any scene in Alaska not worth taking a picture of? I just love anything to do with that state. Someday I'll get there!
Renegade82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #284
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

That looks like a ton of fun! Biggest fish I've ever caught was a 10 lb. carp. Its not for lack of trying. One summer I fished almost every night in the river by my house and caught over 450 fish on that year long license. Almost all of them were 1 lb small mouth bass, a couple of 1-2 lb. catfish, and the occasional small rainbow trout. Those carp are pretty smart in this area. They don't easily get caught.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM   #285
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
So Mike are you ready to go back?

Looks like you guys had an excellent trip up north!!
We had a great time and I am absolutely ready to go back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skerr View Post
MIKE!!!!!!! I am READY TO MOVE! That is awesome. I saw a fishing show once where they actually shoot the halibut before bringing them in the boat! So you bottom fished? What kind of bait? Tackle specs?? 179 pounds? ziiiiiing!
We had talked about shooting them but I could see how that could be potentially more dangerous on a small boat with 4 guys. We had a lot of fun pulling them in and you get to take out any pent up frustrations with the billy club.

We bottom fished with 2.5# weights on spreader bars with a circle hook on a one foot braided line. I had a 6'6" rod labeled 30-60# test and I am pretty sure the guy told us it was 45# test line. The bait was herring halves. The halibut didn't seem to care whether we used the head or the tail. We were nailing them on the 30-35' deep shelves right next to the 100-120 foot deep sections.

Here is a picture of our tools of the trade.

Here is an action shot of me while reeling in a "relatively" small 40# halibut.

Here is a shot of me getting ready to harpoon the 179#.

Pulling it into the boat.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.