CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 02-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #241
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasteeler View Post
That's awesome!!!!
Not quite as short as a Tanker Garand which has an 18 1/2" barrel. I felt there would be to much muzzle blast so had a custom gunsmith build up one with a 20" barrel which actually turned out 20 5/8" (long story has to do with where he measures barrel length from). This one is a nice overall length and definitely handier than a full sized M1 Garand.

80cj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #242
jcal73
Web Wheeler

1979 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
What's up stranger!!!
I've been working a ton and lurking here when I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80cj View Post
Here's an M1 Garand I recently had built with a 20" barrel in .308 Winchester.
THAT IS A WORK OF ART!

Jeff
jcal73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #243
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Not quite as short as a Tanker Garand which has an 18 1/2" barrel. I felt there would be to much muzzle blast so had a custom gunsmith build up one with a 20" barrel which actually turned out 20 5/8" (long story has to do with where he measures barrel length from). This one is a nice overall length and definitely handier than a full sized M1 Garand.
I bet it wouldn't have as much muzzle blast as my 18.5" barreled Remington 6mm, quite a light show in the evening
Unread 02-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #244
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
I bet it wouldn't have as much muzzle blast as my 18.5" barreled Remington 6mm, quite a light show in the evening
Actually, I thought about my friend's Remington 600 with 18 1/2" barrel in .308 when I decided to go to a 20" barrel. That Remington rang my ears a few times when we were shooting together!
Unread 05-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #245
1983 CJ7 

My youngest wanted to shoot this weekend so we packed her Savage .22, the Stevens 223, a 300WSM and the AR and headed to the range early yesterday to get the best bench and beat the wind. She was blowing through boxes of rimfire rounds and wanted to play with the Stevens, I had some 69gr HPBT's loaded with Benchmark and that cheapo rifle just smokes many others in the safe, multiple .4"-.6" groups with a tricky wind. She has a heck of a trigger finger and zombie squirrel didn't stand a chance, remember, those are .223" holes and a 1" spot, she was NOT happy about the AR muzzle blast and blamed me for the pulled shot

Unread 05-29-2012, 12:01 PM   #246
Dadamsnv
Web Wheeler

1977 CJ5 

My dad and Ii started hunting together when I was 13. Here in Nevada its really easy to get a youth tag up until you are 16 when you have to play with the big boys. Now I'm 24 and we still hunt together. Up until last year I have put in for mule deer buck every year since I could legally draw a tag. My weapon of choice (for deer at least) is still the Remington model 7 .243 my Dad bought for me for my first hunt. Its a youth model, so its simple, light, and short. I find it comfortable to shoot as an adult even though I'm 5'11". This last year was the first time I put in for cow elk. I would love to have a bull tag, but it takes up to 10 year for some people to draw one in Nevada, and once you get a bull tag, you don't get to put in for elk again for 10 years! So I opted for the cow tag to fill my freezer and have some fun. Because it was so mountainous where I drew the elk I packed a .300 win mag so I could put her down without her running too far. Otherwise I have a beautiful browing 30-06 I'd rather use. It may be small for elk, but its a great gun with some nostalgia.

I found out just the other day I drew cow elk again this year! and since my pops will have his pickup there, I hope to bring my CJ5! He loves old jeeps and I think he'll get a kick out of driving it around the bush.
Dadamsnv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:16 PM   #247
80cj
Web Wheeler

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
My youngest wanted to shoot this weekend so we packed her Savage .22, the Stevens 223, a 300WSM and the AR and headed to the range early yesterday to get the best bench and beat the wind. She was blowing through boxes of rimfire rounds and wanted to play with the Stevens, I had some 69gr HPBT's loaded with Benchmark and that cheapo rifle just smokes many others in the safe, multiple .4"-.6" groups with a tricky wind. She has a heck of a trigger finger and zombie squirrel didn't stand a chance, remember, those are .223" holes and a 1" spot, she was NOT happy about the AR muzzle blast and blamed me for the pulled shot

Good to see you're teaching your kids to shoot. My dad wasn't into guns but had a friend of his that was an avid hunter/shooter teach my younger brother and I proper gun handling at an early age. As I always say, Jeeps and guns seem to go together.

Your friend Exposed (Calvin) and his wife visited me here a few weeks ago and had some nice things to say about you. He and Cathy are great people.
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #248
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadamsnv View Post
My dad and Ii started hunting together when I was 13. Here in Nevada its really easy to get a youth tag up until you are 16 when you have to play with the big boys. Now I'm 24 and we still hunt together. Up until last year I have put in for mule deer buck every year since I could legally draw a tag. My weapon of choice (for deer at least) is still the Remington model 7 .243 my Dad bought for me for my first hunt. Its a youth model, so its simple, light, and short. I find it comfortable to shoot as an adult even though I'm 5'11". This last year was the first time I put in for cow elk. I would love to have a bull tag, but it takes up to 10 year for some people to draw one in Nevada, and once you get a bull tag, you don't get to put in for elk again for 10 years! So I opted for the cow tag to fill my freezer and have some fun. Because it was so mountainous where I drew the elk I packed a .300 win mag so I could put her down without her running too far. Otherwise I have a beautiful browing 30-06 I'd rather use. It may be small for elk, but its a great gun with some nostalgia.

I found out just the other day I drew cow elk again this year! and since my pops will have his pickup there, I hope to bring my CJ5! He loves old jeeps and I think he'll get a kick out of driving it around the bush.
Love the Model 7, my last was a 7-08 and picky to load for but a dream to carry. Have a great time hunting with your Dad, mine headed north what seems like yesterday but 34 long years have passed.

Those cows taste better, are easier to chew and you don't have pointy horns and a hide to pack out

Quote:
Good to see you're teaching your kids to shoot. My dad wasn't into guns but had a friend of his that was an avid hunter/shooter teach my younger brother and I proper gun handling at an early age. As I always say, Jeeps and guns seem to go together.

Your friend Exposed (Calvin) and his wife visited me here a few weeks ago and had some nice things to say about you. He and Cathy are great people.
Thanks!

I taught them to shoot when they were 6 or 7, I don't remember the age exactly. We have fun when I can catch them home for more than a few hours.

Me and the girls stopped by Calvin's weekend before last, they were volunteers at a big clay shoot in Katy with their Mom. Nobody was home at the time but we keep trying. He sent me a bunch of pictures from the trip, looks like ya'll had a blast and that is beautiful country
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:49 PM   #249
Audidat
1985 CJ7 

What do you hunt: Elk, Whitetail, Muleys, Ducks, Geese, Coyotes

What are your tools?
Usually a Weatherby TRR in .308 or Armalite AR-10 in .308, but I'm building out a Rem 700 SPS Tac AAC-SD also in .308.
For fowl I use a Mossberg 935 Mag WF.

Favorite tools, favorite calibers? See above

Do you reload? Not yet, I have most of my setup & a stock pile of materials I just haven't started. I could use a few more trinkets for case prep first.
Do you compete? Not any longer, used to compete 25m small bore When I was younger.
Audidat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #250
1983 CJ7 

Just a little love for those 308's???

Welcome to Jeepforum!
Unread 05-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #251
Audidat
1985 CJ7 

Just a little...
Actually I was much more diverse at one point & decided it made more sense to consolidate calibers. So for rifle every thing is 5.56 or .308. Pistol is .45 or 9mm and of course .22lr for both. That is until recently I picked up a Sig P238 in .380 and a S&W 686-3 4" in .357 (but I already had reloading dies and comps for both).
Audidat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #252
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

Aw Yes! I just found this thread! Love me some Hunting and fishing! Wish I had more chances to drive my jeep to my hunting spots, but unfortunately I am limited to mostly suburban hunting. Wish I had a large enough property to hunt with my Jeep! Here are a couple pics of the 8 pt whitetail I killed 2 years ago with my crossbow. His Papa that would have grossed 180+ and I nicknamed the "ghost" got away from me... I have a trail cam pic of him I will have to post later. I did find the ghosts sheds and will have to post that picture later as well.
My 2 favorite hobbies! Hunting and fishing and my Jeeps!

Trail cam pic of my 8pt in velvet before season.

After many attempts! About my 12th hunt I finally got him in Pre Rut action. He was rattling antlers with 3 other younger bucks and gave me a perfect 20 yard broadside shot with my crossbow. Only ran about 25 yards and dropped. My biggest kill to date. He grossed 140" and is now on the living room wall

SuckerPunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #253
SuckerPunch
2014 JK Wrangler 

And here are the pics of the stinking deer that outsmarted me! "The Ghost". At least I've got his sheds! Eventually I want to get these sheds mounted. Measured the rack and he was 180"+ depending on what his spread was. Darn good deer for Tennessee. You don't get many that big down here. Here is one of two trail cam pics I got of him and here are both of his sheds from the year before I got the trail cam pic of him. Not sure if anyone cares, but I know I enjoy seeing peoples pics of deer they have taken

SuckerPunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #254
1983 CJ7 

WOW, gnarly bases on the ghost!
Unread 05-29-2012, 06:48 PM   #255
81CJ7V8
1981 CJ7 

Here is my OLD Stick, a Remington Model 700 Sendero SF in .300 WinMag, custom painted sand stock. Limbsaver, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16X50 scope. Sure was a shooter, sub 1/2 at 100 with store bought ammo.

My 32 point, non-typical I shot last November, 195B&C.
img_0054.jpg   michaels-buck.jpg  
81CJ7V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.