CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #211
Nbonney5413
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i spend a lot of time trapping. heres my catch from today. only running 8 sets at two locations this year playing around.
caught 4 at one spot and 1 at another. love how i can stil take "tail gate" shots with my CJ!

Nbonney5413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #212
Daves77CJ7
1977 CJ7 

I can't believe I never noticed this thread before. My CJ was my hunting vehicle and daily driver when I was growing up. I wish it was ready for this past hunting season, but I seem to always get distracted from building my jeep with hunting and fishing. Since my jeep is still in the build up process, i have to use my Duramax and quad these days. I bowhunt with a Mathews Switchback. I rifle hunt with a Ruger M77 in. 280 Remington. I muzzleload hunt with a Knight Disc Magnum. Here is the buck I killed this year with my bow.

forumrunner_20120128_221809.jpg
Daves77CJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2012, 12:22 AM   #213
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Wow, nice hunts guys.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2012, 06:04 AM   #214
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbonney5413 View Post
i spend a lot of time trapping. heres my catch from today. only running 8 sets at two locations this year playing around.
caught 4 at one spot and 1 at another. love how i can stil take "tail gate" shots with my CJ!
That is pretty cool, I attempted to trap some destructive Beaver in our lake with a Conibear 330 with no luck at all. I read what I could find, watched youtube videos on the set and resorted to a 22 with CB's. I think trapping must be art on science and you definitely have a gift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves77CJ7 View Post
I can't believe I never noticed this thread before. My CJ was my hunting vehicle and daily driver when I was growing up. I wish it was ready for this past hunting season, but I seem to always get distracted from building my jeep with hunting and fishing. Since my jeep is still in the build up process, i have to use my Duramax and quad these days. I bowhunt with a Mathews Switchback. I rifle hunt with a Ruger M77 in. 280 Remington. I muzzleload hunt with a Knight Disc Magnum. Here is the buck I killed this year with my bow.

Attachment 337601
I can related to the disease

Nice buck!
Unread 01-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #215
Colt44

1983 CJ7 

We mostly hunt waterfowl; we have a place down in north Mississippi with a nice cabin to stay in and a little over 160 acres in rice. But my favorite is dove hunting because it marks the end of summer and the start of the year's hunting time.
It's also probably the only time that hunting can be combined with a social event.
Here are a couple of pictures from opening day a couple of years ago.
[ETA] I guess maybe I'm old school, but I shoot a brace of Browning Auto 5s: a 20, a Sweet 16 and a Magnum 12.
imag0214a.jpg   imag0218b.jpg  
YJ Interior, Metal Doors, Hard Top
Colt44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #216
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Urban Camo

After seeing Dave paint his rifle stock I decided to try a little something different with the cheapest gun I own. I figured if it turned out like crap I could always sand it back to the stock black plastic. I decided to take my black Dragunov SKS stock and paint it into an urban camouflage design.

Here it is before I started. It came with a Monte Carlo type stock but I prefer the pistol grip style of the Dragunov on a rifle like this. This is a paratrooper model which had the bayonet lug removed before I bought it.

Here it is all torn down with the stock already sanded with 220-400 grit sand paper.

Here is the sanded stock along with the assortment of paints I ended up using. I tried finding the camouflage branded paints but couldn't find all of the colors I needed so I went with these.

I took my body filler mixing board and started cutting random designs in blue painters tape.

Just a few of the random designs.

Here is the stock painted in a couple coats of black with a bunch of my random tape pieces ready to be applied.

Randomly cover the stock with tape anywhere that I want to remain black.

Next I painted it dark gray then continued to cover with more random design tape pieces.

Painted in the third color of light gray.

More random taping on parts I want to stay light gray.

Once all the taping was done on the light gray, I added three coats of the final white color.

Taking my time removing all the layers of tape.

One side done.

A view of the other side.

Here it is all finished up covered with three coats of matte clear coat.

The other side.

Fully assembled and all finished up.

One more of the other side fully assembled and to keep this Jeep related.

This took quite a bit of time but was a good time waster while watching football on a cold Sunday afternoon. I thought it turned out pretty well. We'll see how well it holds up over the years and I might try it again with an airbrush and catalyzed clear coat.
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #217
1983 CJ7 

I had no idea what you "urban camo" referred to when you mentioned it in the PM, that is COOL
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:14 PM   #218
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Yeah, google image search it and you'll see a lot of examples. Mostly the gray and white over tones with blue mixed in sometimes. Kind of considered a winter camo too but called Urban Camo.

If I had to do it again, I would do a little more black, a little less gray and a little more white but I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.
Unread 02-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #219
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Great job Mike! Hey that Jeep looks familiar.

My build thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ji...build-1093702/
Jim1611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #220
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1611 View Post
Great job Mike! Hey that Jeep looks familiar.
Oh yeah, when you going to come see it?
Unread 02-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #221
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coiz View Post
Oh yeah, when you going to come see it?
My turn aint it. I do need to plan a road trip.

Hey Dave I was thinking about something the other evening about hunting kinves and remembered buying one several years ago and had never used it. Well went and got it and it had a slight bit of rust on the blade so I took it out to the shop and got that taken care of.

Anyway I thought since we hunt not only are our guns important but so are the knives we carry. I bought this one and kinda forgot about it. It's a Marbles brand in the Woodcraft model. At one time they were one of the best you could buy. They faded then somebody started making them here in the U.S.A. again so I bought one. I have been using a Buck 119 for the past 30 years and it's been a good one but may start carrying this one here. It'd do the job on a deer or even an elk! I like knives second best to guns.

My build thread
Unread 02-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #222
1983 CJ7 

Oh yeah, I am a knife nut too...back in a little while

That is a sweet Marbles, and if you like the Buck 119 your are a fan of clip points
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #223
ErikEastman
1986 CJ7 

One of my favorite Jeeping activities is cruising old dirt roads and logging trails shooting squirrels and other rodents/varmints.
ErikEastman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #224
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Oh yeah, I am a knife nut too...back in a little while

That is a sweet Marbles, and if you like the Buck 119 your are a fan of clip points
I do like them Dave. I also like the drop point too. I made the one below back in the early 80s from a rough blank Im ordered. It's made off of a Loveless style drop point. It's skinned more deer than I can count too. Stays sharp a long time as well. A friend made the sheath for me and made it backwards, left handed. As it turns out I can carry it on the left side and another one the right.

Hurry up and dig your knives out Dave and spot pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikEastman View Post
One of my favorite Jeeping activities is cruising old dirt roads and logging trails shooting squirrels and other rodents/varmints.
Chicken hawks seem to be good sport too, but that's just what I'm told since it's illegal here.

My build thread
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:20 PM   #225
1983 CJ7 

My Mom gave me Buck 110 about 30 years ago and I kept it razor sharp and polished but never carried it. I went on a state hunt in the early 90's and just about cut my hand off skinning a deer, my hands were bloody and that knife was polished brass and wood so it was slippery.

I had my EDC, a small, cheap Spyderco Michael Walker C22 liner lock with me so I finished the deer with that. Eventually picked up a Spyderco Native and used that as an EDC. The Spyderco's have been great knives, decent steel, hold an edge and the poly handles are tough. The C22 is very small, I have small hands and it is completely hidden in my fist, the Native is a little larger.

I was given a CRKT M16 and sometime along the way, someone probably thought they wanted it more than me. I was not really fond of the tanto blade, it was a pain to sharpen. The M16 has a super smooth action though.

This year, mdy oldest daughter (17) asked me for Christmas present ideas and I gave her a list of possibilities and she picked the Sod Buster Jr from the list. I have always like the Sod Buster design and it is shaving sharp right out of the box. I really like it, it is larger and heavier than I expected but it is not a bad EDC.

I really like the Buck 103, I remember seeing my uncle's when I was about 13 and I liked it then and I like it now. It sure is a classy looking knife and I may get one to throw in the safe the others.

After skinning a few deer with the Spyderco Native, I saw a Schrade 143 for 19.99 at Academy, I liked the rubber grip on the Schrade 143 better and this is what I used for ages until it disappeared. I recently replaced it and picked up the 141, a non-guthook skinner for backup. Even the Made in the USA Schrade's can be found for less than 25.00 if you shop hard.

I like the new Buck Paklites, the two knife set with the gut hook would be a great backpacking set.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.