CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding... - Page 14 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ owner's who prefer hunting and shooting to trail riding...

Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Rugged Ridge Bumpers, Winches, Performance from CCOR!JK Front Axle Truss

Unread 11-23-2011, 10:54 AM   #196
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Okay I'll bite. "Chicken fried backstrap"? Give me the lowdown on what that is. Is that just breaded with gravy on it?

Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:59 AM   #197
1983 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade82 View Post
Okay I'll bite. "Chicken fried backstrap"? Give me the lowdown on what that is. Is that just breaded with gravy on it?
Yep, tenderized backstrap medallions, dredged in flour, fried in bacon grease and white gravy made from the drippings
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:31 PM   #198
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Now that's cookin!!!!!! Just got a doe monday evening and my mouth is watering just thinking about backstrap. Next year when the jeep is done and I kill a deer(hopefully) I will post pics. Can't wait!

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:51 PM   #199
Gido
1980 CJ7 

Actually, I just got home from hunting and the wifey was fryin backstrap as I walked in.

in memory of Jimmy Smith - a wise man
Gido is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:58 PM   #200
Renegade82
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 243 View Post
Yep, tenderized backstrap medallions, dredged in flour, fried in bacon grease and white gravy made from the drippings
I do something similar. I just use sliced backstrap medallions, not tenderized, which I assume you mean pounded out some. And I take flour and cornstarch in equal parts (sometimes add in some Italian bread crumbs if I want a thicker coating) and then shake in some onion powder and smoked salt and pepper. Dredge them twice and then fry them in lard, about 2 minutes on each side (until the blood rises thru the coating, then flip). I've never made the gravy for them though, but now I might try that, it sounds good!
Renegade82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2011, 11:21 PM   #201
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Got one last week and another one today. Both in the 100 to 125 pound range. Both clean, plump, and not foul smelling. Cubed the backstraps and hams, everything else goes to pan sausage.

Both were about 100 yards away. Shot with my Weatherby Vanguard chambered in 7 Rem Mag. Shooting a homemade bullet, Hodgdon's Varget at 55 grains with a Barnes 120 grain Triple Shok bullet. Significantly reduced recoil and increased control. These two pigs are the first game I have killed with my reloaded rounds. One shot each, and they just rolled over! Optics is by Bushnell 4X12 with infnitely variable objective lens. I set this scope up 10 years ago dead-on balls, and it is still dead-on balls. Since then, I have bought three more of these same scopes for other rifles. They perform neck and neck with my buddie's Leupold. Right down to the low light sighting. I think they are called Bushmaster... can't remember. I have one on my Savage .243, Weatherby 7 Rem Mag, Remington 742 Woods Master in .30-06, and on my Mauser 7X57. Great optics for the money. They hold well without ever having to test fire before the season opens.

Then a yearling buck came out on the plot. Dead hog in the middle, right? He just finished kicking out, The buck walks over to the dead pig and starts to graze right next to it. This buck has a big body but his pegs ain't broke his hairline. So no shootie. Then a monster doe walks about. She was skittish at first but called donw immediately, and she began grazing right around the hog. They ate until I HAD to get down and they r-u-n-n-o-f-t together! Maybe we'll see something better tomorrow?
dsc02466_1.jpg   dsc02467_1.jpg   dsc02274_1.jpg  

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2011, 04:30 AM   #202
1983 CJ7 

Nice piggie's Scott!

It sounds like you have that 7 Mag loaded down to 7-08 velocity, with 120's recoil should be pretty mild and almost a ballistic twin to the 7X57.
Unread 12-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #203
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Nice piggie's Scott!

It sounds like you have that 7 Mag loaded down to 7-08 velocity, with 120's recoil should be pretty mild and almost a ballistic twin to the 7X57.
Actually, the 7 mag exceeds both of those cartridges. Faster and flatter. I think I am at 3300 fps with the powder I am using. It is "0" at 200 yards, dropping about 5.5" at 300. The ballistic comparison with the 7X57 is identical as it is the same bullet (.284 dia). I have a 7X57, and it has a great history (old Spanish Mauser). The 7mm-08 is also hard to beat. There is no recoil with the 120s, making this magnum round very pleasant to shoot.

Forgot to say "Thanks" Dave. I know you like the piggies pics!

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 12-14-2011, 01:02 AM   #204
viimag
1979 CJ5 

I love the 7mm rem mag that I hunt pigs with. Very flat shooting. The other thing is, I hear stories of pigs getting up and charging people after they have been shot.... That just doesn't happen with the 7mag... They go down and stay down. I have never had a pig charge me and I have shot more than a couple dozen.
viimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:09 AM   #205
tumbleweed58
1985 CJ7 

Good Post Thanks,

Various guns for various targets, Hunt deer hog and whatever else crosses my path and sounds good to eat. Long range shooting with high power 300 WSM, 270, 30-06, 243, 264, 223, 22-250 just to name a few, lots of shotgun 28, 16, 20 and 12, hand gun for defense and fun, military match shooting and cowboy action and yep it’s my Jeep that gets me there.
tumbleweed58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #206
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

I am a little late in posting this as it happened almost a month ago but I did want to share. This seems to be the most appropriate thread to do it in.

On the way home from Colorado to Illinois after the holidays I decided to take the southern route so I could stop by and visit our very own resident expert tool and die maker, Jim Crabtree himself.

He was making some shackles that day, at least until I showed up.

We visited most of the day and talked about all sorts of things. One of the things I was wanting to get done was to thread the end of my AR barrel so it could take a flash suppressor. Jim said no problem so I made sure I brought it with me on my trip. Here is a good picture of my AR at the range last summer, it's a 16" Bushmaster.

We really didn't take a lot of pictures but we broke it down to the bare barrel and Jim carefully chucked it up in the lathe.

Here Jim is necking it down to the correct diameter.

Finished with cutting the threads.

Fully assembled except for the flashlight I left off the left side rail.

Just to keep this Jeep related.

The laser is green.

The four power MIL dot lights up green.

And red.

Thanks again to Jim for basically taking the day off to visit with me and work on the AR.

Too bad it was so windy as it would have been fun to shoot. Maybe next time.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #207
Skerr
<*////><

1985 CJ7 

SAAAA-WEET! I want a silencer for my .17!!!

Clay's Build Thread
Scott's Build Thread
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #208
1983 CJ7 

Way to go Jim

Sweet Bushy Mike, and you need to get out and shoot that 308 too

Scott, I want a suppressed 22 rimfire and another for my AR but I have not decided if the fun would be worth the hassle and cost of registration.
Unread 01-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #209
ZBUSS
1986 CJ7 

Shot this the previous night and went back to see it the next day to see if I could knock out some coyotes. The buzzards had done some serious work on it.
image-4283814753.jpg   image-763431637.jpg  
ZBUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #210
Coiz
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Sweet Bushy Mike, and you need to get out and shoot that 308 too
Thanks Dave. I do need to shoot my new 308. It came with a bore sighted 3x9 and I was hoping to sight it in at Jim's place but with 20-40 mph winds it was not the ideal time to be doing initial sight in. I love how light weight the Savage is coming in at 6.5 pounds with the scope. My R700 VSSF and the AR both come in at a hefty 12.5 pounds each.
Coiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.