CJ not running - electrical gremlins - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ not running - electrical gremlins

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-08-2011, 02:20 AM   #16
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

It's amazing what you can do with simple test equipment. Volt meters are great but they can trick you into thinking something is OK when its really bad.

I've fixed things faster with a test light and usually doesn't need batteries.

Take for example, checking grounds. Just how do you check a ground connection? Ohms reading? The few microamps a volt meter might pass though a connection will look like a great connection but a test light will pull a few more amps and a poor ground will show up as a dim light. Of course you would be more accurate by using the voltage across the ground connection when under load but who thinks of that and who has time to hook up a load right away anyway.

I've made a 10' extension for my test light so I can make one connection right to the battery and i am able to all the way to the back of my CJ.

Connect the test light to the (+) post to check the ground circuit path.
Connect the test light to the (-) post to check the 'power' circuit path.

Always check the test light first to make sure it is actually working.

Test lights are a great way of checking fuses rather than looking at a fuse.
Will also act as a short indicator when a test light is inserted in place of a fuse that is always blowing.
When connected between your battery and battery cable will act as a leak indicator in case something is still drawing current and killing your battery when your jeep is off.
Also use it as a trouble light to see what you are working on in the dark.

Heck, I've used a test light to run my alternator when the regulator died on my 70 CJ. I connected the light between the battery and the field to keep the alternator charging to get home one night. Just had to be careful not to pump too much voltage into the wiring.

Spend the $6.00 for a test light at W-mart and throw it in your glove box.

I'ts like carrying a towel when hitch hiking.

Maybe JH will make up a CJ Test kit that will include a Test light, 10' extension leads and a instruction manual for around $15.00 to sell.

John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2011, 06:59 AM   #17
risgate1
1985 CJ7 

JH, thanks alot for the info, you certainly went above and beyond.

i will be working on the diagnosis this evening. Thanks again for all the advice, will let you know what worked!

Tags
cj , electrical , ground

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.