cj motor swap but what motor need help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj motor swap but what motor need help

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-21-2004, 07:36 AM   #1
flip2spin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

cj motor swap but what motor need help

ok guys i need all your thoughts
i got a 83 scrambler 304 t -176 dana 300
i instaled dana 60 s 4.10 gears 39 boggers
im wanting to do some motor work
ive got a ford 5.0 ho motor out of a 92 mustang 80,000 miles on it 302 motor mounts and a built c4 with a dana 300 adapter ready to go that was plan a

here is plan b
i found a 79 jeep j truck 360 motor th400 trannie quadtrak t-cace
body is real rusty and has been sitting for 7-8 yrs it ran when parked but the tranie was bad for 200$
now would i be better off to just put the ford motor in and fight and curse the wiring or build the 360 and th400 and get a dana300 adapter

or just do some work to the 304 i got in it

either way im going to put some type of fule injectin on the 360 or 304
what would be the best motor to swap in

i allready bought the truck

flip2spin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2004, 07:49 AM   #2
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

In my book the Ford 5.0 EFI is the only way to go.

The 360 may have more torque stock but the 5.0 is lighter and can be made to develope just about as much HP as you want.

Since you have the Ford and a D300 attached it has an advantage over the quadratrak transfercase.

There is plenty of info here and other forums about the Ford 5.0 swap; it seems the only way to go now a days.

Luck,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2004, 07:55 AM   #3
flip2spin
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NnF

In my book the Ford 5.0 EFI is the only way to go.

The 360 may have more torque stock but the 5.0 is lighter and can be made to develope just about as much HP as you want.

Since you have the Ford and a D300 attached it has an advantage over the quadratrak transfercase.

There is plenty of info here and other forums about the Ford 5.0 swap; it seems the only way to go now a days.

Luck,
if i use the amc 360 and th 400 ill get a dana 300 adapter
i got a built dana 300 4.0 gears twinstick and the big rear output shaft

im pretty sure ill go with the 5.0 i love the sound they produce
iwas just wondering what everone thouht about my options
and if i was better off buildind a 360 or possible 401 my jeep will neverbe wheeled its just somthing to cruise
flip2spin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-21-2004, 08:11 AM   #4
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

It all depends on what YOU like.

I am for Ford all the way, have been forever.

My reasons for the Ford 5.0 EFI are the weight, I like thing lighter. Availability of parts, almost any junkyard has stuff. EFI, can't beat the fuel injection on the trail. Availability of adapters for any transfer case or tranny you can think of and the motor mounts too.

If your rig is gear correctly then a stock 5.0 will work wonders on the trail.
If you are going to mud drag the vehicle then maybe the 360/401 will be better.
BUT the Mustangs are whipping A$$ at the drags w/ 5.0 EFIs.
5.0s can be mod'd to be just about anything you want high hp mudder or low hp crawler.

With all of the info and part available for the Ford you will have dependable, efficient vehicle.

A friend of mine has a 350hp, 5.0L Ford Crate motor in his Early Bronco w/435 manual trans. He like Mud Drags and ran a stroked 383 Chebby w/auto trans, the little Ford came through and beat the 383.
Not to say the 383 guy didn't screw up some how but the little Ford will surprise you.

Luck, this will be a good project.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.