cj motor specs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj motor specs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-17-2003, 12:51 PM   #1
travr6

cj motor specs

I have a 258 in a 1976 cj-5 that blew up and i want to put a 258 back in. What years can i use or what other motor could i put in that will bolt in.

travr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-17-2003, 01:10 PM   #2
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Any 258 from 1972 - 1986 would work.
258's from AMC Eagles will also work.

There are other bolt on engine replacements such as the AMC 304 V8, and 4 cyl AMC 151 and 150.

Stick with the 258 (my .02 advice) you can get them cheap.

Also, define "blew up"
Unread 08-17-2003, 03:07 PM   #3
travr6

Blew up= Threw a Rod. I guess I really only need a block since I am going to rebuild whatever motor I get anyway.

Don't the 258 from teh 80 models have smog crap on them? Does it affect anything if you take that off?

I really want to stick witht the 258 but I figured if there was another motor that bolted right in I would pick it up if it was dirt cheap.

Can't find a 258 any cheaper than $250
Unread 08-17-2003, 04:25 PM   #4
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

Yeah '83 and newer have the computer controlled emissions equipment, but you don't need any of that stuff. Your vehicle is titled as a 76 and doesn't require a sniffer test for emissions.

You should be able to swap any 258 in as a replacement.
Unread 08-18-2003, 11:55 AM   #5
travr6

So any 258 will work. Any Idea what year they quit making them? What vehicles can I get one from? Only AMC cars I assume. It will not hurt anything to remove all the smog stuff correct?
Unread 08-18-2003, 12:13 PM   #6
jadams68
1984 CJ7 

That's my understanding on things. I mean you can definitely find a 258 from a CJ on Ebay from time to time and local yards.

Your current 258 doesn't have smog equipment, so any future engine wouldn't need it either.
Unread 08-18-2003, 09:35 PM   #7
Jeep Daddy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams68
That's my understanding on things. I mean you can definitely find a 258 from a CJ on Ebay from time to time and local yards.

Your current 258 doesn't have smog equipment, so any future engine wouldn't need it either.
So you fully understand, all you have to do is get any 258, even if it comes with all the smog stuff on it, and rebuild it. When you complete the rebuild you will still need to use your carb., your intake manaifold, distributer, pullies, belts, wires, brackets, air cleaner, hoses, etc. You just wouldn't use the EGR, carb, sol-vac, vacuum hoses, distributer etc. from the newer engine. HTH
Unread 08-19-2003, 02:47 AM   #8
travr6

Yeah. I meant if I found one and wasn't going to rebuild it could I just take the smog stuff off. If I rebuild one with smog I can do anything I want to it.

Thanx for the help guys.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.