cj motor mount install!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > cj motor mount install!!!!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-15-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
caleb7mm
1984 CJ7 

cj motor mount install!!!!

Ok, I am done with the main bearings and rear seal in my 84 cj7 with the 4.2. So now the easy part...putting the new motor mounts in. I have a hoist and a floor jack to put the engine in any position I need to make it easy.

WRONG!!

6 hours SO FAR and the right side mount is still not in, havent even thought about the left side yet!! I have tried every combination or motor mount base first to engine plate first. The closest I can get is mount bolted to motor, then get under vehicle and slide the base up to mount and push the frame bolts through, problem is I can only get it within about a 1/4" of matching up with the frame bolts. I am about to give up!! I dont know what else to do???? I even had the wife out there pushing on the motor while I tried to get the mount in. Doesnt matter where I jack up the motor from either, I have tried just about everywhere.

anyone??

caleb7mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 06:13 AM   #2
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

You are not holding your tongue right...

The same thing just happened to me. First one side, then when I finally cussed it just right and got the sucker, no way no how was the tranny mount going in. 5' prybar finally got it that last 1/4" 'and' it had to be held off or up so the bolt went in crooked to force it to line up when dropped.

One trouble you can have is the other mount sags like crazy when it is the only one holding, that goes double if the tranny mount is bad or soft.

You may have better luck with both mounts off. Or with a jack under the other side forcing it up on the 'rubber stretch' movement.

I had to put the single bolt side in first and line up the two bolt side last.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
caleb7mm
1984 CJ7 

I got the right side mount in BUT........the two bolt holes from the mount to the engine side plate wont line up!! the engine needs to go forward about a 1/2" for them to go in, I now have 2 hours just trying to get these two bolt holes lined up, I have tried jacking this thing up from everywhere humanly possible and it doesnt make a difference!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! between the hoist and the 2 floor jacks I dont know what else to do.

anyone?? This is my daily driver and has been down for a week now.
Unread 04-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
namredla
1983 CJ7 

I don't like the sound of this... I am planning on swapping the tranny mount and motor mounts next weekend on mine. If you figure out a good method post it up in this thread so that I may learn from your experience. Good luck.
namredla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
69cj5

Try removing the transmission mount bolts so you can move the back of the transmission from side to side which will move the engine mount forward and backward. Had a 73 datsun truck with a 327 in it and it twisted the frame, that was the only way i could get the mounts bolted up until I did the frame swap. Good luck
BEsrk I just drain the fluids, attach a strap to the top of the cage and pull the vehicle over in the backyard.. strap only costs $15. Or.. I just drive up a tree with one wheel until the rig flops on its side.. too easy and that one's free.
69cj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #6
RoscoeJ
1986 CJ7 

first....did you check to make sure you have the right mounts. You do know one mount goes up and the other goes down. I did mine by ....keeping the brackets that mounts to the motor ,on the motor. then install the mounts to your frame ,dont tighten yet, then line up your engine motor mount brackets to your motor mounts ,that are on your frame... pm me if you need more help..hope this helps check to see if your tranny mount came out and jumped over ..
RoscoeJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I just did mine the other weekend and it went fairly smooth. Used a 4x4 under the crank pulley to lift the engine. I actually unbolted the bracket from the engine and took it all out with the mount. Attached new mount to bracket and slid back in. Ran into the same problem that Mike did with the tranny mount. I wrapped a ratchet strap around the trany to the frame and a few clicks had the holes lined up.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
caleb7mm
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeJ View Post
You do know one mount goes up and the other goes down
got a picture? I am putting this one in exactly like the other one sat, so unless the po had it wrong Im not sure.
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

The tab goes down on the driver side and up on the passenger side. I think Mike called them torque limiters in another thread.
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:44 PM   #10
caleb7mm
1984 CJ7 

ok good, I got the tab up on the right side, The po has the left side wrong, good to know for whenever I get to do that side.
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #11
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

When you same frame bolts, do you mean the motor mount bracket to frame like in Keiths pic here? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...45&postcount=7
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #12
hfjeff
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I also had some trouble as I think my frame was slightly tweaked. I mounted the frame mounts on the frame, then the block mounts on the block, then the motor mounts on the block mounts. I lowered the drivers side in and the passenger side did not quite line up. The frame was about 1/2" wider the where the motor mount wanted to line up. I used several ratchet straps across the frame rails and the cross-frame support that goes under the oil pan to crank the frame in. Used grade 8 bolts and nuts on the support bar and it came together far enough for the motor to drop down in. That was 2 years ago and I have not had a problem.
MY DAD's: 1978 CJ7/ AMC 360 .030" over/ Motorcraft 2100/ Edelbrock Performer/ Proform HEI Ignition/ Hedman Headers with dual Flowmaster 40's/ Taurus Fan/ FK-35 Control/ Painless Harness/ Rebuilt T150 & Dana 20/ 4" Lift/ 31" Procomp Mud Terrains/ All Fiberglass. (SOLD)
MY BROTHER's: 1996 ZJ Limited/5.2L/117K & Completely Stock.(SOLD)
hfjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #13
caleb7mm
1984 CJ7 

the bolt holes that wont line up are these

Unread 04-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #14
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Maybe I got lucky but I first bolted the cushion to that engine plate (those two bolts), then I slid the single bolt side of the cusion into the frame bracket. Then I manipulated the engine until I could line up the bolts to the engine. Torqued those first, lowered engine and torqued bottom bolt.
Unread 04-16-2009, 09:41 PM   #15
caleb7mm
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwa_fcva View Post
Maybe I got lucky but I first bolted the cushion to that engine plate (those two bolts), then I slid the single bolt side of the cusion into the frame bracket. Then I manipulated the engine until I could line up the bolts to the engine. Torqued those first, lowered engine and torqued bottom bolt.
that was what i was trying to do last night for 6 hours. I wasnt able to get everything to fit untill today when I did it the oposite way, now if I could just get these bolt holes to line up ill be done.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.