CJ of the Month - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ of the Month

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #1
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

CJ of the Month

Okay.. in case you don't look at stickies often (like me), I just listed the submission thread for the CJ of the month.

Judges are Jeephammer, Fatman, and John Strenk. They'll be the ones who tell me which submissions make the final 10 for voting. Submissions will begin the 1st of each month and end the 15th of the same month. Voting will then take place the second half of the month and winner will be announced at the end of the month.

These dates are all subject to be shifted left/right a day or two depending on my schedule. I'll try to be consistent though..

Here's the submission thread... http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627745

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
BESRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #2
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

ok eddie call me a retard.....
I thought this was more for submitting someone else then yourself. I was looking to submit little lime (please apply suck up points to lifetime membership) after spending time looking it over at the Va4wd run. What if you dont have all the specs for someones rig? in other words i dont want my/someone elses submission being DQ'd for failure to proplerly fill out all the info, please advise.
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmanchew View Post
ok eddie call me a retard.....
I thought this was more for submitting someone else then yourself. I was looking to submit little lime (please apply suck up points to lifetime membership) after spending time looking it over at the Va4wd run. What if you dont have all the specs for someones rig? in other words i dont want my/someone elses submission being DQ'd for failure to proplerly fill out all the info, please advise.
Doh!
The contest is meant for your own rig. I never really gave much thought to submitting someone else's rig.

I do thank you very much for the kind words about my rig though. I wouldn't feel right entering it on this forum.. kind of an ethical thing.. 22 years in the Army has turned me into an "ethics freak".

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 11-04-2008, 06:59 PM   #4
molsenice
1964 CJ5 

I had thought it was to nominate someone else's rig - but the post up your details was for someone to have all the info - hmmmm
molsenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 06:29 AM   #5
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Yeah.. you submit YOUR rig, the 3 judges pick the top 10 submissions and we put those up for public vote.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 11-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

And speaking as a judge,
From what I've seen so far there aren't enough pictures or enough explanation about things...

No one has mentioned custom bumpers, sway bar disconnects, ect. so far.
Only one guy has mentioned full width axles, and I'd REALLY like to see some drivers view pictures of the cockpit layout also...

Trail action pictures are ALWAYS a good thing!
I'd like to actually get the low down on the rig I'm supposed to be voting for!

I don't know about the other two judges, but speaking for myself,
Mall pounders need not apply, trail jeeps will always get top marks.
Good paint always a plus, but not necessary...

'Home Brew' solutions and 'Homemade' parts always take top honors over 'Mail Order' parts!

A guy with a "Mail Order-Mall Pounder" will get trumped by a plain, but capable trail jeep!

If that sounds harsh, then follow me on a 'Trail' around here some time and you will see why I swing that way!
-----------------------

And by all means, nominate YOUR RIG!
No one knows what your rig will do like you!
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Fatman
2008 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
And speaking as a judge,
From what I've seen so far there aren't enough pictures or enough explanation about things...

I think Eddie has done a fine job of putting this together. It’s clear that submissions will be one pic, choose it well. Stop thumping your chest, we all know what you are. ... "judge"

No one has mentioned custom bumpers, sway bar disconnects, ect. so far.
Only one guy has mentioned full width axles, and I'd REALLY like to see some drivers view pictures of the cockpit layout also...

There is a section for additional mods, I know its hard to understand but that’s where this information should be provided. So far, those that have submitted, have not had the same trouble understanding this.
As far as what you would like to see, this is not YOUR contest. If you’re trying to bait for submissions that follow your “wishes”, I’d suggest you go start your own forum and contest.

Trail action pictures are ALWAYS a good thing!
I'd like to actually get the low down on the rig I'm supposed to be voting for!

Really? Again with baiting for your standards.
I would suggest to anyone wanting to submit their rig for review to do so with the understanding that the OTHER judges will be fair and open minded, YOU have already failed the test.

I have not been on JF for some time as it is my belief that YOU have polluted the ground we all stand on in here. The forum was about quality, NOT quantity.

Contestants, submit your pic with the background of your choice. In your driveway with wife or kids, action, stuck, muddy, polished. Whatever makes you happy.

'Home Brew' solutions and 'Homemade' parts always take top honors over 'Mail Order' parts!

I’ve welded and fabed quite a bit on my rig. I know the expense of design, tools and material. There are some AWESOME suppliers of parts out there that we all add to our rigs to get the look we like. I'd like to see them without precondition
I know, let’s see some wheels you smelted or water-jetted or the dizzy cap you chewed from bark while on the trail.

A guy with a "Mail Order-Mall Pounder" will get trumped by a plain, but capable trail jeep!

Ok, so everyone that has nice paint, nice parts, and spent any amount of time making their Jeep look better, AND took their pic in the driveway needs to understand that at least one judge has already eliminated your Jeep from the competition. Nice! Self Proclaimed Jerk!

If that sounds harsh, then follow me on a 'Trail' around here some time and you will see why I swing that way!

I wouldn’t follow you anywhere. You are an irritant that gets under my skin with your every post.

To the forum group, I have to apologize. I thought Eddie had done a great job of getting this together in such short time, I also thought it would be a fair contest that would help PROMOTE the CJ forum. This precondition garbage is just that. I don't adhere to it, and although I knew he would do this, I am disgusted to see it.
Reply inserted
Moderators please feel free to make change as seen fit, I believe the forum members deserve better.
Fatman
Unread 11-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #8
Curt Reinhardt
1978 CJ5 

Thanks Fatman - the second I read JeepHammers "need not apply" I thought of your Jeep. Then I thought about mine. It's a 78 CJ5 with almost zero rust on the original sheet metal on a flawless frame. The drive train is 100% original except for mods to the original 304. It's only got 59k original miles on it.

There are not many reasonably original CJ5's running around anymore and I want to keep it in as good condition as I can. I don't take it on the beach or off road but it is a garage kept daily driver as long as the sun is shining. I'm going to take care of the couple 1" diameter rust spots this winter. I don't have the time, space or patience to do it myself anymore so I'm going to have someone else strip it to the frame, fix the rust, repaint it and who knows...maybe I'll submit it for consideration.

BESRK (Eddie) has seen it. Ask him if he would take it off road. Hell, maybe don't ask him, he takes everything off road!

Thanks again for your post - Curt
Curt Reinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

Did I miss something?
After looking over the submissions I also feel it's hard to judge with one picture. I just asked Besrk about that.
John Strenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Ahhhh.....

I was leaning toward one pic so we don't have someone submit 20 pictures in a row..

I figured with one pic, it better be your best one. Clear, uncluttered, proportional.. maybe a nice background. However, I'm "easy".. maybe a 2 photo limit then.. exterior and engine.

Keep in mind, this contest is just for FUN. I think it should include all venues... trail beaters, drag racing CJs, mall crawlers, stockers, resto builds, whatever.

I'm also considering just judging the whole thing myself. Might make it easier. Keep the submissions coming folks.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 11-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #11
JeepHammer
Running On Empty...
1973 CJ5 

I'm thinking the point of 'CJ' is 'Off Road'...

I'll consider a lowered, chromed out, two wheel drive, rolling 'Boom Box' 'Jeep' if that's what comes in as an entry... (I hope it's not!)
I'm not much into that kind of thing, but if they want to enter a stretched, lowered, limousine version, then that's the trend and I'll deal with it.

Restored to factory new condition is always good, but Personally, I'd like to see street/trail rigs...
Not hard core rock crawlers that are just a jeep hood and grill on aftermarket everything else on a CJ forum...

I'd consider about anything if it was going through some gnarly obstacle and was built by it's owner!

I also want to make sure 'Joe Average' gets a chance... Hard work, sweat and inspiration are ALWAYS a good thing in my book!
--------------------------------------

As for pictures, John and I would like to see at least a few...
Can't really tell much from one shot.

Wouldn't bother me to see 4 or 5, or at least a link to more pictures of it so I can get a better look at the smaller features.
I'm only doing this once a month, so I'll take the time to really look some things over and give the contestants consideration before I make a short list!

And guys, you don't have to worry about $500 a quart paint or the latest chrome license plate bracket or $10,000 stereo system to get a good review from me...
------------------------

As for Fatman's 'Issues', I don't know what to tell you...
That one is not up to me. (and I'm glad about that!)

After that grandstand rant I think I'll just send my picks to BESRK and John and if Fatman wants to play nice for this thing, I'll sure make an effort to get along with him...
--------------------------------------------------------------

I'm all for it, and I think it's a good idea!
I just don't know where people got the idea that someone else had to nominate YOUR jeep!?
Just misunderstanding I guess...

I understand nominating someone else for judge,
I understand the voting process for judge,

BUT,
No one knows your Jeep like you, so send those entries in yourselves!
I for one would like to be able to put a Jeep with a forum member!

Last edited by JeepHammer; 11-05-2008 at 03:42 PM..
JeepHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #12
CjinPA
Web Wheeler

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer View Post
JeepHammer,
Can you explain mall pounder?

And yes I have an idea what you are refering to, but I don't want to missunderstand you.

Last edited by CjinPA; 11-06-2008 at 05:22 PM..
CjinPA is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2008, 07:18 PM   #13
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Okay.. add links to more pics folks.. 2 actual photos and links to the rest of your pics.

I really want this to be fairly easy.. I'm trying not to work myself into more work...

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet
Unread 11-06-2008, 06:00 AM   #14
Rookie130
1983 CJ7 

I think the whole point of having multiple judges is to get very different opinions for all types of CJ's. Each of you can use your own criteria for determining your favorite. There is no official rubric for determining best CJ. Good luck determining which is the best...there are so many amazing CJ's out there...
Unread 11-06-2008, 06:27 AM   #15
BESRK
GROUND POUNDER

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie130 View Post
I think the whole point of having multiple judges is to get very different opinions for all types of CJ's. Each of you can use your own criteria for determining your favorite. There is no official rubric for determining best CJ. Good luck determining which is the best...there are so many amazing CJ's out there...
I agree wholeheartedly..

However.. the 3 judges have to get together in order for this to work. They have to pick the finalists "collectively" and then shoot me the list so I can post the poll. Having 3 individuals send me 3 different lists isn't gonna accomplish anything. I would end up just doing the list myself and posting it for vote.

Ground Pounder Fab

Lower 2

Guardrail

Down Schoolbus

Slickrock Tellico

Save

Crozet

More Crozet

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.