CJ-Metro Project - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ-Metro Project

Massive SAVINGS on VISION X EVO PRIME 10 WATT LED LIGHT BANew Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit CatalyPartsHubDirect: Hella LED Lighting, HID Xenon, Headlamps,

Unread 09-19-2007, 10:20 PM   #1
gmshades
1979 CJ7 

CJ-Metro Project

Hey guys,

Thought I would start a thread on my project I'm working on. Here are the spec's.

1979 CJ-7
1984 CJ-7 Frame
AMC 360 Motor
TH400 AT
Quadra-Trac T-case
D35 Front, AMC 20 Rear 3.73 Gears

Before I get any haters on this, I want you to know I am a die-hard 4x4 enthusiast. I have wheeled with many different types off vehicles out there. The Jeep is the most common. I figure there is a reason to this. What makes a good 4x4? The guts. That is what I kept from the CJ-7. But, since so many people have Jeeps, I want to be different.
When I did my homework, I found the Metro and CJ-7 have the same wheelbase, and thought how funny it would be to make one of the smallest cars out there a capable off-roading 4x4.

The first pictures I have taken is after I welded the frame back together and put the wheels back under it. Some of you may have already seen these.

Don't even ask how long it'll take. Good news, my work schedule is 4 on, 4 off. Bad news, I'm low on cash and Winter is coming.

I'll try to keep updating as I go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqcWQmzWtVk
gmshades is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2007, 10:27 PM   #2
gmshades
1979 CJ7 

Sept. 20th update

Finally got the motor is proper position. Had to move it forward 12" to clear the Metro firewall. My friend ran out of gas while welding the motor mounts, so they are not braced yet.
The T-case skid had holes narrow enough so I could drill solidly into the frame to secure it. The driveshafts are now 26" and 29" at rest, making a better angle to the rear. I will make homemade shafts after I flex it out and get the proper size.
I also did much more work to the body. I pulled all the wires unneeded to run things like headlights, etc. Also have the whole front end and rear suspension cutout. I'm hoping to test fit it this weekend.

Unread 09-20-2007, 05:37 AM   #3
Rookie130
1983 CJ7 

Just because you can, does that mean you should?
Unread 09-20-2007, 05:39 AM   #4
DeltaSigCJ5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Have fun man...Its your time and money! Keeps the pics comin'... Im sure its gonna look interesting.

Hales
Unread 09-20-2007, 06:10 AM   #5
GP_Pete
1986 CJ7 

(**crying**)

GP_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
Bard
1985 CJ7 

If we all pitch in a few bucks, we can get you a Jeep tub....

So you plan to put a rollcage inside of the car and do lamborghini doors which open like wings?

Progress looks good with the set up. Keep em' coming.
85' CJ7 Laredo, 383 GM, Turbo 350, NP 203. SOA, 2" frame lift, 34" TSL swampers, Dana 30 open, AMC 20 w/ detroit locker, 4:10's, 1 Piece Mosers, 35" boggers to abuse when needed.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #7
jeepwhore
Hair puller xtraordinaire

1984 CJ7 

Keep an eye on those welds on the rear frame. If you beat on it hard there's a good chance you'll see some cracking there. Interesting build though, definitely get alot of double takes with that thing on the trail.
'84 CJ-7: Yota axles (spartan locked front, e-locked rear) 4" BDS, 1" Daystar & 3/8" shackle lifts, 35" X-Terrains on steelies, YJ Tub & family roll bar, heater blower upgrade, 4.2L w/MC2100 & Team Rush, Warn 8274. Rebuilt 4.2/4.0 hybrid, AX15 and twin sticks/clocking ring waiting to go in.

The advertised position for a topless, dirty jeep girl has been filled......by my wife. Thanks to all that applied.
<------------and yes, that is her.
:-D
jeepwhore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2007, 04:35 PM   #8
gmshades
1979 CJ7 

End of this 4-day, what I got done was:

Installed manifolds
Completed mating the trans to motor. (Flywheel)
Test fit #1, found out where I needed to cut firewall.
Cut firewall
Test fit #2, should fit but ran outta time before had to go to work today.

I did buy hockey pucks at play it again sports, guy there said he sells more pucks to 4x4 guys than hockey players, lol.

Hopefully this weekend coming up I can be more productive. Just found out today it as to be out of the garage by winter, so there goes any progress during that time. I'll just use it to save money for the parts I need.

Glenn
Unread 09-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
bill in the hil
1980 CJ7 

Looking good. I just seen a metro done at the mudbogs last month. It had the top chopped off and custom rollbars and bumpers. Turned out pretty good. I know all about the haters. I do have a cj but I also hacked up my 66 bronco and frakenstined a VW beetle on it sitting on 35's. Still got it in the yard in "resto" mode. DARE TO BE DIFFRENT. I have done a nova, camaro, and this bug. I got two cj7's sitting here also. Got my eye on a amc gremlin sitting down the road...... I think it would look good up about 6" with some swampers. Keep us posted. Always love to see stuff out of the norm.
bill in the hil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2007, 03:28 AM   #10
jeepmor

If you cross a jeep and a metro, you might be a......
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2007, 03:03 PM   #11
gmshades
1979 CJ7 

The Body and Frame united for the first time.

The body WILL be lowered a bit. I ran out of time as I got the 4x4's out from under the body. Depending on how much bodylift I install, the front will go down 4-7" and the rear 1-4."

For some reason, it looks so much taller than my wife's TJ with 4" lift and 33's. And it still has stock tires .

Glenn
Unread 09-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
gmshades
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmor
If you cross a jeep and a metro, you might be a......
Northern REDNECK? You'd be right. I live in a trailer, I use cinder blocks and 4x4's as a car hoist, and duct tape is best for anything. Did I mention the only sports are Nascar and Monster Jam?

Glenn
Unread 09-24-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

I am 100% for whatever you want to do, BUT, I also recall seeing a dodge neon on a 4x4 frame with 38's on craiglists here in WA for months, and months, and months (and months).

I'm not telling you what to do, I just hope you :

a. plan to keep it for a long time; or
b. give it a proper burial when done.

I DO think it's a bit ironic that you are starting with a Metro tub that has more rust in it than most jeep tubs.

either way, Have fun!

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-24-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
jeepmor

Quote:
I use cinder blocks and 4x4's as a car hoist, and duct tape is best for anything.
No worries, I had the cinderblock and 2x6 TV stand well into my 30's because I spent my money on important stuff like my vehicles. I had friends give me grief about, use that line on me and what not. The same friend who started a deck 3 years ago and has done exactly nothing with it since that time. The cinder blocks from that deck are good and settled now, time to finish it up, y'know the drill.

BTW - have you tried Gorilla tape brand duct tape, it's duct tape on steroids.

Whatever puts lead in your pencil, have fun with it and keep us posted. It's pretty obvious you're not a NYC liberal, thank goodness for that.
jeepmor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #15
gmshades
1979 CJ7 

10-1-07 Update.

Got the body on the frame. I even have 2 bolts between the 2 right now! I just have to cut and reweld the rear body mounts underneath a hole in the body, and add 2 more bolts. I'm slowly getting more done before winter.

I love the look cause it looks like I just added a normal body lift to it, and its not a fot plus like other people do.

Next break, welding on Saturday, and Off-Roading with the TJ on Sunday!

Glenn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.