CJ Master Cylinder Replacement Issue. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Master Cylinder Replacement Issue.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!

Unread 09-15-2012, 10:47 AM   #1
SwampAngel
1981 CJ5 

CJ Master Cylinder Replacement Issue.

Folks, I just had to have my Master Cylinder replaced so I could pass the State Safety Inspection. The Inspector's garage installed a rebuilt one ($139.00) and it leaked everywhere! I took it back and made them install a second one. After 4 Master Cylinders I took the Jeep home and installed my own for $19.95

The bad news, my install leaked too. I read in this forum about machining the top of the Master Cylinder so I tried that, no joy.

Long story cut short... The issue with all these Master Cylinders was the lack of breather hole on the cover. I drilled a small hole on the cover, installed the rubber diaphragm, and all the leaks stopped... Looks like rebuilt covers come with the vent hole blocked, drill it out, and get back on the road!

Hope this helps!

SwampAngel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes , master cylinder , oil leak

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.