CJ Jeep Starting Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ Jeep Starting Problems

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-26-2004, 11:26 AM   #1
cj5jep

CJ Jeep Starting Problems

I own a 1979 CJ 5 jeep with a 258 and manual trans. I let the jeep sit for two years. When I went ot start the jeep the starter would not disengage. I had the starter rebuilt andreplaced the battery. Still same problem. What can I do to fix this thanks?

cj5jep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2004, 11:35 AM   #2
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

I'm guessing here but the next electrical thing in line would be the solenoid.

Try banging it and attempt to start teh vehicle again.

After that check the ground of teh solenoid, the mounting bracket, if it doesn't have a good ground it will not work right.

After tht I would start looking for wiring that is shorted together.

Later,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2004, 12:06 PM   #3
skip3

It sounds like the solenoid to me too. You can short it out of the circuit by using jumper cables between the battery (positive) and the starter side of the solenoid to verify. You can also short the battery post and starter post of the relay (solenoid) to do the same thing.

I recently revived my CJ7, and had to wire brush most of the electrical connections. From reading this forum, bad terminal connections seem to be a common Jeep problem.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
skip3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2004, 01:43 PM   #4
Geer_hed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj5jep
I own a 1979 CJ 5 jeep with a 258 and manual trans. I let the jeep sit for two years. When I went ot start the jeep the starter would not disengage. I had the starter rebuilt andreplaced the battery. Still same problem. What can I do to fix this thanks?
Just for clarity's sake, I'm assuming you mean that the starter motor won't stop cranking, not necessarily that the starter motor drive gear won't retract. If that's right then your starter solenoid is highly suspect. Take a test lamp and look for signal from the IGn Switch on the solenoid. It should die when the key is not in the start position. If there's no signal from the IGN SWT and the starter is still cranking, then your solenoid is bad.
Unread 04-26-2004, 05:53 PM   #5
J33P1N

i just re-ran my hot wire that goes into the fuse panel. all the connections were pretty crappy, got the wire brush and cleaned them all out. put it all back together and starts like a champ. all it took was a few hours and a couple beers.
J33P1N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2004, 12:16 PM   #6
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Glad to hear you are OK, for now.

You should put that same effort into the ground system; grounds always go bad on Jeeps.
You see what the other connections looked like, well the grounds are probably more corroded than that.
If you do re-do the grounds, use a conductive paste on the connections.

Later,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.