Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Cj Heater

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  Squint 
#1 ·
I have a CJ that I mainly plow snow with and I'm in need of some more heat. What is the best to use? And where can I get them at? Thanks

#2 ·
Depending on the year of your CJ, the best approach is the blower motor upgrade (using a Chevy blower motor) and a new heater core. Mine really works well after I did this, as do others who've done it.

#5 ·
I'll throw another vote out for the blazer blower swap. I just did mine a couple weeks ago.
The hardest part is getting the old stuff out. A dremel made quick work of enlarging the firewall hole for the bigger motor.
Now it literally blows dirt off the floor... And into my eyes :mad:
But it blows like a *&^%$@! :thumbsup:

#6 ·
I did the blower upgrade and it darn near ran me out of the seat

#7 ·
John Strenk said:
looking at your bio it apears you have an 87 CJ7 so yeah, the GM blower upgrade would be great.
I'm pretty sure that was a typo, because I'm fairly certain he doesn't have an 87 CJ.

But I second the blower upgrade. You can do it for less than 20 bucks. Mine works great. But, if you still need more heat after that, you can buy one of the auxillary heaters from any of the major jeeps places ( http://www.4wd.com http://jcwhitney.com have them). They are basically a second heater core with a built in blower. You just run some hoses to it and wire it up. Good luck!

#8 ·
My heater core went out last year and I didn't have a heater til this past fall of 05. I replaced the heater core, thermostat, blower motor switch and the blower motor (chevy blower motor upgrade). Talk about a major improvement. I never have to go past the middle speed (3 speed motor) and I'm toasty warm. More importantly, my wife is toasty warm and leaves her down comforter at home.

I would recommend replacing all especially since you're draining the radiator anyway.

#12 ·
For the chevy blower motor

1973 Chevy Blazer with a 350 and no ac. Part # would be Siemens Part #102E

Make sure it's the one with a short shaft on it.

#16 ·
Do you have soft or hard doors?

I've got soft doors and bought the collapsible rubber seals from auto zone and then put those around the areas needing them on my door to make it fit better.

End result. Less draft, less door flapping and less noise.

#17 ·
hey guys and gals, just called NAPA and they asked me if it was a standard or heavy duty motor? which one did you get? i think i'm going to do this this weekend

#18 ·
You shouldn't have to tell them that at all.

I got mine at autozone and all I had to tell them was

1973 Chevy Blazer with a 350 and no ac.

Part # would be Siemens Part #102E

Make sure it has a short shaft on it.

#19 ·
If you're going to do the vehicle reference thing, I've noticed most people recommend crossmatching vehicles with air conditioning...

Either way -

1) Autozone
2) PM102(a)
3) Go

Advance Auto #: 5012066 or FAA 35587
Autozone #: PM102 (siemens)
NAPA #: 655 1715 or Siemens #PM123X (Siemens)
Parts Master / 4 Seasons #: #35587

Not sure why the different Siemens part number for Napa, or what the letter designation means, but 102a worked without a hitch for me, and the above numbers are reported to have worked for others. Just be cautious of the blower shaft length as advised above....

#21 ·
schmoken said:
Mine from NAPA ended up being a PM102X. Works like a champ!
Same here.

They also had a premium one for $40 that he said was made in the USA and was no difference. I love my country, but I am not paying twice as much for the made in the USA sticker.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.