CJ has all vacuum lines essentially capped off - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ has all vacuum lines essentially capped off

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-29-2010, 10:01 PM   #16
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

I personally had no choice but to register mine as an antique because all the emissions components were gone and it would have taken a long time to put it back. In Virginia, any vehicle over 25 years old does not need to pass the sniffer test. You are good there.

The antique rules are actually rather simple and there is one little phrase that covers everything I want to do with mine.

Antique registration limits your use of the vehicle to:
  1. Participation in antique car club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events.
  2. Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.
  3. Carrying or transporting passengers, personal effects or other antique motor vehicles being transported for show purposes.
You may not, however, use your vehicle for general, daily transportation. This includes, but is not limited to, driving to and from work.

That one little phrase is my free pass since there is no clear definition of "occasional"! Although I really only drive it on the weekends so I never get stopped.

VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:30 PM   #17
SeaJay7

thankyou. I'm glad to finally be a fellow Jeeper. I looked at the stipulations regarding antique plates and pretty much the only time you can use the vehicle is to go back and forth from auto show to auto show. Honestly I want a Jeep for the sake of it being a Jeep. I want to go pretty much anywhere anytime. I live in the Chesterfield/Colonial Heights area of Virginia, but it seems that the emissions regulations are pretty similar statewide. I can't wait to upload some pics of my Jeep later this week. Heck maybe I'll catch you around this summer.

*edit* I honestly may go the antique route then. Thankyou for your input VACJ7, you may have just saved me a TON of work.

Last edited by SeaJay7; 03-29-2010 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: just noticed VACJ7's post
SeaJay7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2010, 10:43 PM   #18
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

FYI, here is where I got the info and has the required forms as well. I gotta believe it is state wide for emissions but could be wrong. When I called my local DMV they said I did not need to pass the sniffer if I registered as a normal vehicle.

Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

and this:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+46.2-730

Last edited by VACJ7; 03-29-2010 at 11:00 PM..
Unread 03-31-2010, 07:16 PM   #19
SeaJay7

i think i love you, lol. thankyou. I Also don't mean to keep leaving out that I do realize I don't have to meet emissions stuff, but I still want to get all these hoses done.

Last edited by SeaJay7; 03-31-2010 at 07:37 PM..
Unread 03-31-2010, 09:49 PM   #20
SeaJay7

I appologize in advance for my double post. I'm not sure how the Edit notification system works quite yet as I'm a newer member, but just to reiterate here's a photo-album of my jeep - Pictures by SeaJay7 - Photobucket let me know what you think. Do you see anything wrong with the hoses done so far?
Unread 03-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #21
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Others may chime in, but it looks completely stock to me and compared to mine, most of the major components are still there. I think you even still have the pulse air system. Spend some time here, it will help you identify everything and what controls what. Table of Contents

Need to determine if the PO did a nutter bypass on it. The stepper motor is still connected to the carb so not really sure and the computer could still be controlling things. I disconnected mine when I nuttered it. You can search on 'nutter bypass' and determine if it is something you want to do or has been done already.

If all the emissions stuff is really there, and you can get it running well and make it look like the emissions components are correct, you could easily register it as a standard vehicle.

Last edited by VACJ7; 03-31-2010 at 11:01 PM..
Unread 03-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #22
SeaJay7

thankyou. I'd honestly never heard of the "nutter bypass" until just a few minutes ago. I may attempt that depending on how the hosing heck goes, lol. For any other people reading here's a good site i found with a simple Google of "nutter bypass" The "Nutter" Bypass
Unread 04-01-2010, 07:19 AM   #23
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay7 View Post
thankyou. I'd honestly never heard of the "nutter bypass" until just a few minutes ago. I may attempt that depending on how the hosing heck goes, lol. For any other people reading here's a good site i found with a simple Google of "nutter bypass" The "Nutter" Bypass
Here is our version, we do it so you can still pass emissions unlike that other writeup that puts the carb at full rich for some reason.
How to - Nutter Bypass - JeepForum.com
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #24
SeaJay7

is this 2010-03-31193637.jpg picture by SeaJay7 - Photobucket the Control Valve Plug located here (Vacuum Hoses) near the top right? I wouldn't think it would matter, but does it matter what hose goes in the higher end vs the lower end or vice versa?
Unread 04-01-2010, 08:09 AM   #25
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
is this 2010-03-31193637.jpg picture by SeaJay7 - Photobucket the Control Valve Plug located here (Vacuum Hoses) near the top right? I wouldn't think it would matter, but does it matter what hose goes in the higher end vs the lower end or vice versa?
Nope no matter, that part is a recalled part that needs to be fired into the garbage.

You only need a T fitting back there to pick up the feed line from the top of the charcoal canister (gas tank vent). The canister purges into the PCV system when you are at speed and warmed up. The PCV needs this extra feed to work right and the PCV controls engine sludge.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 04-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #26
SeaJay7

ok awesome. One more random question. Does anyone have a good shot of where the timing advance is so I can run the line from the PCV to it.
Unread 04-01-2010, 04:11 PM   #27
Ken4444
Corripe Cervisiam

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
So I got a 1984 CJ7 for $800 bucks on friday... Pictures by SeaJay7 - Photobucket
Why is it that I can never find a Jeep for this price in Texas? I wonder if the prices are higher here than in other parts of the country. In Texas, for $800, I'd expect to find a Jeep that was a complete rust bucket, a rolling frame, or a pile of parts.

Nice Jeep!
Ken4444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2010, 11:11 PM   #28
SeaJay7

thankyou and I'm not sure, I hope you come across one like I did. I reallly appreciate all the comments on my jeep and the amazing help everyone has been able to give me. I hope I can give back in one way or another in the Jeep community down the road
Unread 04-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #29
SeaJay7

I capped all the carb stuff off except timing advance and pcv. Now it'll start up and sound good for bout a minute, but it'll cut off after so. I'm not sure what could be causing. Posibly either a fuel pump from not getting right fuel + air mixture or something else. I also went ahead and replaced the ignition coil just incase. Any ideas?
Unread 04-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #30
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
ok awesome. One more random question. Does anyone have a good shot of where the timing advance is so I can run the line from the PCV to it.
Umm, they don't connect or have anything to do with each other.

The distributor advance come from the port on the center of the valve cover side of the carb. This line to the distributor gets a T fitting and runs to the top of the charcoal canister so both the canister and distributor work at the same time, when you are on the throttle. Usually the line to turn on the canister goes through the CTO valve so the canister doesn't turn on until the engine is warmed up.

The purge line from the canister just T fits into the PCV line where that recalled solenoid used to fit and then they both go into the back of the carb base plate in the big tube.

Tags
1984 , 258 inline 6 , cj7 , vacuum lines

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.