CJ has all vacuum lines essentially capped off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep CJ Forum > CJ has all vacuum lines essentially capped off

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 03-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
SeaJay7

CJ has all vacuum lines essentially capped off

So I got a 1984 CJ7 for $800 bucks on friday. The previous owner complained that it wouldn't run right so I popped the hood and it was pretty obvious the issue, all but a very few of the vacuum lines were even hooked up. In fact most ends where they should be were capped off. I know that replacing all the lines is a nightmare, but I've found a couple diagrams online. What I really want to help me out is if someone else happens to have an 84 cj7 with a 258 inline 6 (5speed manual) could take a couple shots of there engine bay while the air filter is off so I can get a decent look at how some of the vacuum lines are placed/ran along the engine. Thankyou for your time and any help you can offer. - Anthony

So I'm Editing again, I've got some pics up of the jeep and the engine. Would anyone be willing to help point out what some of these things are because I'm having a lot of trouble getting this done and I can't figure out what some of these ends that are capped off are. Here's the URL for the photobucket with all my photos. http://s954.photobucket.com/albums/ae27/SeaJay7/

Last edited by SeaJay7; 03-31-2010 at 06:39 PM.. Reason: typo + Added photo link
SeaJay7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
79cj97tj
1979 CJ7 

I have the 258 inline 6 with 2 barrel carb. The only thing i have hooked up now is the line to the pcv and the timing advance. Every thing is gone. I even took the egr off, capped the hole, charcoal canister off, plugged all the holes on the carb. I'm in Kentucky with no emmision checks. It runs great. I threw away half a 5 gallon bucket of stuff. Set the timing, adjusted carb, like i said runs great now.
79cj97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaJay7 View Post
So I got a 1984 CJ7 for $800 bucks on friday. The previous owner complained that it wouldn't run right so I popped the hood and it was pretty obvious the issue, all but a very few of the vacuum lines were even hooked up. In fact most ends where they should be were capped off. I know that replacing all the lines is a nightmare, but I've found a couple diagrams online. What I really want to help me out is if someone else happens to have an 84 cj7 with a 258 inline 6 (5speed manual) could take a couple shots of there engine bay while the air filter is off so I can get a decent look at how some of the vacuum lines are placed/ran along the engine. Thankyou for your time and any help you can offer. - Anthony
$800!!! That's great. What does it look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79cj97tj View Post
I have the 258 inline 6 with 2 barrel carb. The only thing i have hooked up now is the line to the pcv and the timing advance. Every thing is gone. I even took the egr off, capped the hole, charcoal canister off, plugged all the holes on the carb. I'm in Kentucky with no emmision checks. It runs great. I threw away half a 5 gallon bucket of stuff. Set the timing, adjusted carb, like i said runs great now.
Amen! I have done the same.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
SeaJay7

I'm in Virginia and I have to pass all the emissions tests, or atleast to get it inspected :/ After that I'm safe to undue it all again, but I have to get it together right to get it passed inspection. Do you have any photo's of your engine bays before you capped everything off?
Unread 03-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
Skerr
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I don't have any pics, but I think a Haynes or Chilton's would have a diagram. Check one out from the library.

"Contemplate the mangled bodies of your countrymen, and then say 'what should be the reward of such sacrifices?' ... If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!" —Samuel Adams

Clay's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/cl...hread-1061897/
Scott's Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/sc...5-cj7-1147913/
Fallon (and Dad) Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/f...-okee-1445206/
Skerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #6
supersport126
1984 CJ7 

I have a 84 CJ 150-4 with T-5 and in the prosess of removing the vacume goodies as well...

supersport126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
VACJ7
Hockey Rules!

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
I'm in Virginia and I have to pass all the emissions tests, or atleast to get it inspected :/ After that I'm safe to undue it all again, but I have to get it together right to get it passed inspection. Do you have any photo's of your engine bays before you capped everything off?
Good luck! If you do not plan for it to be a daily driver, skip it and register it as an antigue. Thats what I did. Your '84 does not have to pass the sniffer test, but for a safety inspection they will look for ALL emissions components and evidence of tampering (pulse air system, cat, EGR, etc..). Antique does not require inspection.
VACJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:50 AM   #8
John Strenk

1976 CJ5 

I would go right here and start looking.
Table of Contents
John Strenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:20 AM   #9
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport126 View Post
I have a 84 CJ 150-4 with T-5 and in the prosess of removing the vacume goodies as well...
Just an FYI, your gas filter is in upside down. This can cause long cold starts because the gas can siphon back to the tank when it sits causing vaporlock.

The filter is supposed to sit level with smaller return line off the top of it. This way on a hot shutdown, any vapors produced get blown back to the tank off the top of the filter rather that vaporlocking the gas line.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #10
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
So I got a 1984 CJ7 for $800 bucks on friday. The previous owner complained that it wouldn't run right so I popped the hood and it was pretty obvious the issue, all but a very few of the vacuum lines were even hooked up.
Ouch! Ok, someone posted that is just has to look right so I wonder if you hooked up all the basics for a good runner and physically cleared out anything else so it didn't look disconnected if you could pass the visual?

For starters you should see if the emissions computer is still trying to run things. To see, you need to look 'way' down on the drivers side fender under the washer bottle at the ignition module and it's plugs. The module will have an orange, purple, green and black coming out of it to one plug. The 'harness' side of this plug will 'not' have a purple wire in it. If the purple wire coming out of the module is spliced with a new wire, then the computer has likely been put out of your misery. If the purple wire just stops at the plug, then the computer is still connected to the carb and distributor.

Here are some 'basics' for vacuum for a good runner: Vacuum Hose Hook Ups - JeepForum.com
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:35 AM   #11
T_TT
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Just an FYI, your gas filter is in upside down. This can cause long cold starts because the gas can siphon back to the tank when it sits causing vaporlock.

The filter is supposed to sit level with smaller return line off the top of it. This way on a hot shutdown, any vapors produced get blown back to the tank off the top of the filter rather that vaporlocking the gas line.
I am plagued by the long cold starts. Pictures are always easier for me. Could you post a picture of what it should look like? Thanks.

Thanks Mike. I'll see if that solves the problem when I get home.

Last edited by T_TT; 03-29-2010 at 06:50 AM.. Reason: a
T_TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #12
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_TT View Post
I am plagued by the long cold starts. Pictures are always easier for me. Could you post a picture of what it should look like? Thanks.
I just got slapped down in another thread by a moderator for posting the photo of it sitting properly from the owners manual (Copyright issue) and have mine in pieces right now.

Look at the above photo in post #6 and then think you can just grab the filter and twist the sucker clockwise until that bottom side hose is up top.

That way the center line goes to the carb and the top line goes to the return line.
Unread 03-29-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
SeaJay7

Wow, thankyou all for the very quick and detailed responses. I wish I was able to reply with how all my hoses look in comparison in a photograph. I'm gonna check on the running status of the emissions computer also. I guess I could get it registered as an antique, but wouldn't I be limited to only putting x number of miles on it a year?
Unread 03-29-2010, 08:13 AM   #14
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Here is a link to the factory service manual for yours. It should have all the lines set up properly in it: 84-86 Factory Service Manual... - JeepForum.com
Unread 03-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
Redmanchew
Web Wheeler

1982 CJ7 

[QUOTE=Mike Romain;9179313]I just got slapped down in another thread by a moderator for posting the photo of it sitting properly from the owners manual (Copyright issue) and have mine in pieces right now.

[QUOTE]

wow.... crazy.......

seajay,
if you decide to go antique, make sure you read all the fine print in the DMV guide first. there are a hella lot of stipulations. how may miles, how far from registered address, how many times a week you can drive it. since you have to pass the sniffer I suppose you are in NVA and i can see you passing the same officers of the law more the 3 times a week and getting questioned.
i almost bought a 68 bronco up in manassas before i got my jeep which had antique plates. getting it out of antique status looks to be almost as much of a PITA as complying with the rules to begin with.
just the old 2c worth.

oh and welcome to the club!
1982 CJ-7 2003 4.3 chevy vortec, 4L60E, Clocked Dana 300 35 x 12.5 x 15 KM2 on Cragar 399's. Vanco Brake Booster. Power steering conversion. Warn front and rear bumpers with swing away. Moser 1 piece rears. Rear OX.

Support your local MS foundation. You don't know how much this disease sucks until it affects someone you love.

http://main.nationalmssociety.org/si...al&fr_id=18331

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoleos617 View Post
To reiterate for the 1,067th time, when towing...
remove rear axle, xfer in N, trans in 5th, remove neg batt cable, key to Run and go??
Redmanchew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1984 , 258 inline 6 , cj7 , vacuum lines

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.